Author Topic: Head and neck restraints.  (Read 19278 times)

Offline CGoodson

Re: Head and neck restraints.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 12:12:49 AM »
January 1, 2011 all cars and motorcycles streamliners shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck restraint system. I read it as you have to have a SFI  head and neck restraint by next year.  I have been in contact with DJ Safety and Safety Solutions and we are working on a solution. I am all about safety but, we need a device that works and is safe with our application. The Bockscar is a lay down drivers compartment. I have tried a Hybrid in the car and it didn't work for us. So if anybody else has any good ideas or knows of other H&N restraint let me know.  :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 12:50:22 AM »
My two cents worth:-
  If you have a car with a big ol 'jungle jim' type cage & you could flop around like a c--k in a sock if it fell over, I can totally see the merit in this technology.
  I am building a liner with a lay down position, like so many others have, where there is less than 2" between the padding & helmet in all directions & my chin is in my chest. I literally wear my race car!
  So where is this "device" supposed to be stopping my head from going??
  My abundance of logic & shortage of cash flow, tells me this "accross the board ruling" might not have been the right one.
  I drove a lakester this year, semi-reclined with the Def-N-Der, it worked great in that application. It won't work in a lay down, you can't get your head far enough forward to see.
  I would be much happier with a collar to protect from crushing my spine & the close cage to stop my head falling off.
  That's my two cents, but what ever the rule, You know the story!
    Sid.

FYI:- I believe at one time there was a law passed in Pensilvania that motorcycles be equiped with seat belts, DON'T tell SCTA.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
as many of you know Danny Thompson was in a blow over at the world finals this past week in his race car, without his  head and neck restraint on he would have broke his neck. after seeing the in car video his head and neck were in line with each other. without it we could have lost Danny. Some folks bitch about them how they cant get out of there cars, there a fire trap, so if you have to redo part of your cage in your cars to make every thing out together so be it  tubing is cheaper than years of pain and the cost of a wheel chair. :|

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »
as many of you know Danny Thompson was in a blow over at the world finals this past week in his race car, without his  head and neck restraint on he would have broke his neck. after seeing the in car video his head and neck were in line with each other. without it we could have lost Danny. Some folks bitch about them how they cant get out of there cars, there a fire trap, so if you have to redo part of your cage in your cars to make every thing out together so be it  tubing is cheaper than years of pain and the cost of a wheel chair. :|

Problem solved, I can take the x brace out of the door opening [ like Cheeto Racer] and take out the funny car cage and just go to the minimum required roll cage and get right out.
 Foto of car reply #12 [no X brace} no problem

JL222
  P.S. And all I need is a hacksaw no tubing expense
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:58:40 PM by jl222 »

Offline mkilger

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »
then why can a funnycar drivers get out ok?  they all were one

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
then why can a funnycar drivers get out ok?  they all were one

YEA I could cut the X brace in the top remove all top roll bars on sides and above window put a funny car escape
hatch on roof and jump right out after running into dike and coming to instant halt. :-)
  And from what I understand there has been hangups in funny cars especially with the high neck designs.

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
"they all were one"

They all were one what?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
Now guys let's all take a deep breath and relax.  Safety is the key concern here.
The HNR rule is there to protect us. With several manufacturers making good HNR's and several designs to choose from, I am sure we can all find something that meets the rules and will work in our cars. (hopefully with little or no modifications to current cage or bars etc)

I know some of us may have been using nothing at all or only the old Horse Collar and anything else seems cumbersome and restrictive.... trust me I understand...

More cage, door nets, 5, 6 or 7 point seat belts, containment seats, lateral head supports and now HNR's  are all there to "help" give us the best chance of walking away should the dreaded roll over, flip or tumble occur.

I am no expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express) but what I did was try on several HNR's and chose the one that fit the best and that allowed me to exit the car with the least difficulty.  No one ever said exiting a race car fully suited up was going to be easy, but once you have all your gear selected, make sure you practice your bail out drill several times until you have a repeatable sequence down. Then hope you never have to put it to use.

If you really have a "specialty" set up, I am sure making a call to any of the HNR manufacturers can help, maybe they can assist... I know Safety Solutions was very helpful with my belts and HNR (a guy my size can not buy off the shelf anything, so my belts and HNR had to be custom sized... my seat too,,, Thanks ISP and Safety Solutions.)

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
"they all were one"

They all were one what?

Stan, I see you are still up to your old self !!  LOL

I think they all wear one ... as in HNR

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 05:27:23 PM »
Maybe someone could post the in car video of the mustang.

John, don't take this the wrong way, but, have you played with any yet to see if anything would work?

P.S. Are you picking on my car? :cry:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
The guys at Safety Solutions are great to to work with. I needed to have my HNR adjusted after I had owned it for over a year. They did it at no charge. Great People.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline jl222

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
Maybe someone could post the in car video of the mustang.

John, don't take this the wrong way, but, have you played with any yet to see if anything would work?

P.S. Are you picking on my car? :cry:

Yep :-D No I'm just pointing out that it's a lot easier to get out of your car or any car that that has no X brace.
  I haven't tried any, I'm hoping they just highly recommend the things.
 Just watched the Ack Attack video did anyone see a hans device?

JL222 :cheers:

Offline BALS aSALT

• Go Fast Be Safe...oh, and hold my Redbull
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 11:09:48 PM »
i had a de fen der and traded it in on a safety solutions system. i feel so much better. less restrictive. and more protection.
it is better to live one day as a lion, than it is to live one thousand days as a lamb. or maybe it is better to burn out than fade away.

Offline dw230

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
I had the opportunity to chat with Danny Thompson at Bakersfield yesterday. He is convinced that the restraint system saved him from very serious injury or possible death. Those who decry the  rule should talk with Danny or Keith Copeland as to their thoughts.

While talking with Danny someone in the group mentioned that he was lucky. We both agreed that luck played a part, it was preparation that counted most.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »

Does any one know how far Danny rolled after flying? I heard the car flew a long ways then rolled several times.

JL222