Author Topic: Head and neck restraints.  (Read 19266 times)

Offline CGoodson

Head and neck restraints.
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »
I know all about the different kinds of head and next restaints. Does anybody know if the Hutchins Device is SFI rated and can it be used in land speed racing. :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Head and neck restraints.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
You're best bet Corey would be to contact the manufacturer. I believe it is.

Pete

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:47 PM »
Thanks Pete that was my next plan just seeing if anyone knew off the top of there head. :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »
You might think about this.

Try the SFI website!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
If you are talking about the one that was only straps and does not have some type of fiber back part; it is available at Summit Racing and says it is NOT SFI approved..................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline mkilger

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
beginning Jan 2011 all cars and motorcycle streamliners shall have an engineered and tested sfi spec38.1 (type)head and neck restraint system.  i think the word is type.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:52:10 AM »
Anyone hear how the DJ device testing is going?  We tried one of the small hard devices in the Bockscar at speedweek, in our laydown position it provided a lump that held your neck and back at a position that would ensure immediate spinal separation...  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
Anyone hear how the DJ device testing is going?  We tried one of the small hard devices in the Bockscar at speedweek, in our laydown position it provided a lump that held your neck and back at a position that would ensure immediate spinal separation...  :x

Death TRAPS.

JL222

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »

Checking through various types and usually somewhere in the literature is the preferred and limit seating angles. I'm also interested in a good solution in a laydown position, most unfortunately do not.

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »
Talking about safety solutions hutchinson device :cheers:
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
Corey;

The Safety Solutions device is called the Hybryd, you mentioned it on a past post.  It is SFI approved, and appears to be smallest form for the devices.  When teching at Speed Week it seemed to be the only one that didn't hang up on the way out of any type of vehicle during bail outs, ( I think that is the right way to spell it, or is it bale out, your behind bars, and your getting out as fast as you can, yes it must be bail out.)  The lumpy back brace looks as though it would be painfull in laying position.  I have the device DJ is trying to certify, and hope Joe gets it done, it is comfortable, does'nt hang up, and keeps my head pretty stationary once I am belted in.

Steve     
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »
beginning Jan 2011 all cars and motorcycle streamliners shall have an engineered and tested sfi spec38.1 (type)head and neck restraint system.  i think the word is type.

It's not in 2011 rule book yet and hopefully SCTA will change the wording to [ Upon further review, we strongly recommend a SFI spec 38.1 (type) head and neck restraint system.

Especially after observing hang-ups at 2010 speedweek inspection.

JL222
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:41:12 PM by jl222 »

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:03:34 PM »
wore a Hans device this year at Speedweek.  never had an issue with it hanging up on any part of the car or roll cage.  course it is never a case of one size fits all. All i know it that the application used for the Fairlane it is a system that worked for me...I have a 30 degree Hans with a fairly upright seat position in the car...was worried about the whole head restraint but at least for me it was not terribly uncomfortable nor did i feel restricted at all..Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
CR, we tried the SS Hybrid, it and all hard piece devices will not work in a lay down... I'm sure they are fine in the upright position

If you are coming to Denver anytime in the next several months bring your device and we will let you test fit it in the Bockscar...

The SS guy suggested we could reform the seat with a big dimple that the device could sit in.  :x  that way it might not cause an injury. 

Still hoping for a Hutchins, D-Cel or DJ device SFI cert.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »
Stainless, check with SCTA (Lee Kenedy perhaps).The way I read that rule, actual SFI certification isn't requied, just that it be of that "Type".I could certainly be wrong though, so check it out first; before you buy.  :)
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik