Author Topic: September Volunteer Thank You  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Dan Stokes

September Volunteer Thank You
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »
We pulled another one out of our hats!  Due to the extraordinary efforts of our GREAT volunteer staff we got another one in the record books.  Several folks couldn't make it at the last minute and we still covered all positions and got 'er done.  THANKS!!!!!!

A couple of interesting side notes -
1) We got a couple of folks up in the tower and got them trained so we can rotate more vols up there.  We aim to do more of that.
2) We learned that Joe T neither speaks nor understands Southern American dialect.  Victor (starter) was saying clear as day "Nahn" and Joe had no idea what number that was.
3) We miss Tonya more than she can know, even though Donna did a great job of covering for her.
4) In a frightening turn of events, Al (Chief Starter) took the Buzz Bomb (my Camaro) down the track for a couple of runs.  Before the fire.  Musta been Al's fault!

Again, Thanks ALL for your great efforts.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline 55chevr

Re: September Volunteer Thank You
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
The volunteers once again did an exceptional job and had to work with a skeleton crew. The racers all appreciate their contributions. Keith and Joe ran an outstanding event under some tough hot conditions. 98 degrees in the shade literally is a challenge that was weathered by all. The team gets better and better each event.

Joe

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:53:24 PM »
We pulled another one out of our hats!  Due to the extraordinary efforts of our GREAT volunteer staff we got another one in the record books.  Several folks couldn't make it at the last minute and we still covered all positions and got 'er done.  THANKS!!!!!!

Major thanks from the Twin Jugs Racing Crew to all of the volunteers that made things happen! It was a great meet!

A couple of interesting side notes -
1) We got a couple of folks up in the tower and got them trained so we can rotate more vols up there.  We aim to do more of that.
2) We learned that Joe T neither speaks nor understands Southern American dialect.  Victor (starter) was saying clear as day "Nahn" and Joe had no idea what number that was.

Any chance Victor was in the tower Sunday morning? Whomever was up there announced my 119 run as a 109 and my 117 sounded like a 107?? Heck, I didn't even know until I put the run logs up that I had run 119! I thought my highest was 117! LOL I sent the timeslips home with the owner (Thanks again Ken Presson for both volunteering & letting me run your fabulous bike!!) I wonder how long till he discovers the true top speed!  :-D

3) We miss Tonya more than she can know, even though Donna did a great job of covering for her.
We made it through Sunday night without her but I think it took us twice as long! Probably because she wasn't there to give us "the look" that we were chatting too much! LOL

4) In a frightening turn of events, Al (Chief Starter) took the Buzz Bomb (my Camaro) down the track for a couple of runs.  Before the fire.  Musta been Al's fault!

So what are you saying, Al dropped the bomb? :D  Congrats to Al on his 110mph pass and major thanks to you Dan for giving him a set of wheels! Cool stuff right there!!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:38:25 AM by DahMurf »
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:06:46 AM »
One of the best parts of having the Buzz Bomb with an auto trans is that I can send ANYONE down the track in it.  It's really more fun than running it myself.  When I say "it was my pleasure" I mean it.

I want to make it clear that I'm just teasing Al about the fire.  I wasn't his doing at all.  A ferrule nut failed in the fuel line and let the line slip sway from the regulator.  This points right at the plugs, distributor, etc. and it caught on fire when I started it to pull it on the trailer.  Thanks to Seth and Russell we got the fire out and the car pushed onto the trailer.  It'll take a bit of fixin' but nothing terminal - pretty minor, all-in-all.  The lesson here - DO NOT put cheap hardware store compression fittings in your fuel system - and have a fire extinguisher nearby (next purchase).  The one in my shop was NOT useful.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »
I wish all of y'all could have seen Al's pure joy at the end of his runs. How are we gonna keep him at the start line now that he's seen shutdown?

Offline jreken

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »
Deb-

I always announce a  "0"  as  Z E R O, not "o". There is no such thing as a 1o7mph. Sorry if there was any confusion.

John

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »
I have to confess to misreporting a 1o7 to Deb & I've never been so happy about making a mistake before.

Offline CaminoKid

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
Dan,the pleasure was all mine.
Love to see those bikers leave the line.
I also got my license run with the trans am,great weekend. Congrats to all.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Woody
Keep a smile on your face and let everybody wonder what your thinking.