Author Topic: 130 & 150 club done, now XXO/BVGCC?  (Read 7508 times)

Offline twinturbo496

• New folks
130 & 150 club done, now XXO/BVGCC?
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
This is my car.

Questions:
1) The 2010 book & scta website both show no record for the XXO/BVGCC class. Is that correct? It is at the bottom of the page, maybe it just got left off?

2) The rule book is a seems little vague on what engines are accepted in the XXO class, do the WOS and SCTA encourage using odd ball setups, or do they prefer everyone to run a common chevy or ford inline six?

This is my street/strip car, it runs mid 10's @ 140 1/4 mile.  I ran it in the 130 and 150 club, it seems fairly stable up to 165 mph.  Now what?

I want to pull out the blown BBC and put in something very different.  Before I spend time fitting the different engine, can I get some sort of preliminary approval for the combination?

The current engine has three 750 AFB's on a 14-71 and makes about 700 rwhp on 87 octane (17% UD = 6 psi)

Biggest air cleaner available at any price.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 130 & 150 club done, now XXO/BVGCC?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »
Hey, Craig -

I remember your car from last year and this year and and remember wondering where you might be able to fit it in an SCTA environment.  I'm sure you'll get a response.

I'll go through our pics - I think Kate took a couple of shots of you in line.  She likes the gnarly lookin' cars, as do I.

Glad you made it home safe. 

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline twinturbo496

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »
You're a month late  :x

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8535.0.html

Mike

That is a cool engine. I already have the engine I want to use, just want to make sure I don't get thrown out if I show up with it.

Offline twinturbo496

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »

Glad you made it home safe. 

Chris

So am I.  I pulled my hot rod from Portland to Crockett (just north of Oakland) with my 65 F100 (300 six with manual drum brakes) , blew the hanger bearing support 20 miles before Grant's Pass, so I stuck a 18 mm socket inside the slip yoke to force the hanger bearing to stay centered, and continued over the siskiyou pass and on to the Bay. (14 hours driving right after 10 hour night shift...) 

Next day we used a diesel dodge to pull it to Wendover, found out both front wheel bearings were dying.  First set of bearings from Carquest were wrong...

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
In answer to your question the SCTA encourages you to use what ever pre 1959 inline engine or flathead V8 you like, other than a Ford/Merc. Lot of GMC engines in the class. Lately Buick eights are hot. Few Ford or Chevy engines as it would be very hard to get one over 325 cid. I have seen Nash and Chrysler straight eight engines do quite well in class. Is your engine a secret? Or do you want to share?

Offline twinturbo496

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
The engine is certainly not much of a secret, it just uses a very different mindset than the typical racer.

I work for a big construction company as an Engineer/Supervisor, my friends are engineers for Caterpillar, John Deere, Case IH, Polaris, KTM motorcycles, and a corporate jet pilot (for my company). 

Our bench racing session had some strange suggestions, eventually resulted in selecting a very common USA mass produced street driven engine from the 40's-early 70's but not one that most people would ever consider for a performance application. 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
I looked at some International and Reo Gold Comet engines as well as larger GMC series. They do tend to get big. It seems that an OHV engine that cleans up at just under 375 cid and otherwise meets the rules would be very good.

Offline twinturbo496

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
The big old truck engines won't turn much rpm, however I believe that they will take significant manifold pressure, the cylinder heads have lots of big bolts, the block we have is still std bore and is very thick.

We also discussed converting a 4-71 detroit to run on race gas.  I really like that idea, but that is I am not sure how the piston rings would like that, I suppose propane... 

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
Go to the shootout thread, and look for the Spectre Car that runs a Old Iron Caddy. It went over 400 mph, with big main journals and not much RPM, compared to others.  Keep the boost up and RPM low, just might surprise you. But most of all have fun.

Good luck,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
A 4:71 is what-284 cid? Doesn't really make it into XXO unless you can pick up more inches than normal.Do they make a 4:92? I don't know if a 92 series would be legal anyway and I am not at all sure they would go for any converted diesel. Check with the Salt Cat guys on how to get a confirmed decision before cutting metal on that deal.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
If you converted a Detroit to a spark ignition engine, would you keep it a two stroke?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 08:44:04 AM »
If you converted a Detroit to a spark ignition engine, would you keep it a two stroke?

Think the headwork required would take them out of the vintage class  :wink: :-D

Ed

Offline twinturbo496

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »
We have already decided to go with a conventional I-6 gas motor, 370 cid, ported stock head.

The real question is how hard we can push an engine that is 50 years old. I think my car has no aerodynamic advantage, so the engine is really going to have work well to see over 180.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 01:15:56 AM »
That is a nice looking car.  It reminds me of the hot rods I saw as a kid.  All of them that I remember were rough like that car.  Nothing fancy.