Author Topic: What have we learned from the 4 cars that have just gone 400?  (Read 18998 times)

Offline hotschue

Re: What have we learned from the 4 cars that have just gone 400?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »
Darin, You are right on!!!!!
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
The test is on the salt and hopefully not in the air.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline RogerL

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Regarding Nearburgs car, it was built a number of years ago by Howard Nafzger who has built a fast car or two, sold to Earl Wooden who raced it for a number of years and set several records. Subsequently sold to Charles Nearburg who has further developed the car. see the following copy from an earlier post:

Just a note to thank all of you for your outstanding efforts to keep us "homeboys" up to date on what is going on. I also want to thank everyone for their kind words and emails about the Nearburg car. Most of you know that I designed and built the car in my barn, ran it until I had my back fused, sold it to Earl Wooden who got in the three Chapter and then sold it to Charles Nearburg. Two great guys who started searching for the cars potential.
I am humbled and proud. The car has exceeded my expectations.
Howard Nafzger

Congratulations to all three, a terrific project.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
The comment by Darin and his list of requirements to build a car/team is the same concept we use on the NAE project. He is right, only time will tell.
Ed

Online jl222

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »

We have to realize and not forget how well engineered the old streamliners were [Easton and Cobb]  built in 1937 and 1938 with back and forth records with Cobb coming out on top with 369.70. Then WW11 broke out, when over, Cobb returned to Bonneville on Sept 16 1947  setting the record at 394.20
 This was 63 yrs ago :-o

Then Summers Brothers in 1965 with a record of 409.277 with a 417mph one way.
  The next day an unofficial one-way run of 425 mph :-o  45 yrs ago.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
1) Money  :-o is a tool.  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

We have to realize and not forget how well engineered the old streamliners were [Easton and Cobb]  built in 1937 and 1938 with back and forth records with Cobb coming out on top with 369.70. Then WW11 broke out, when over, Cobb returned to Bonneville on Sept 16 1947  setting the record at 394.20
 This was 63 yrs ago :-o

Then Summers Brothers in 1965 with a record of 409.277 with a 417mph one way.
  The next day an unofficial one-way run of 425 mph :-o  45 yrs ago.

JL222
Yeah, We have actually made very little progress when you look at this way. We should be ashamed of ourselves. LOL.
Let's not forget about all the tools we have now that they didn't.

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
Hmmmm...How does Cobb`s 394 record stack up against Rocky`s new Motorcycle record and 394 pass/Exit Speed? Apples to Oranges, perhaps, but the horsepower differential due to engine efficiency alone can`t be the Lions share of the Improvement can it? I wonder about Aero at 400 alot.I know there are alot of computer generated programs and simulations that can be used to explain these kinds of results. I also remember talking to Gary Eaker at length along time ago about this...their Camaro went 290 from memory, and it was really the first Door Car with extensive Wind Tunnel Time.....20 years ago now...As Rob Frey has said on his Build Post, anyone can now get the 1600 plus horsepower relatively cheaply.Is `Cheap Aero`next? Some of those Computer Aero Solidworks designs appearing here lately are really interesting....

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »
What are the components of speed on the salt...
Horsepower
Aero
Traction
Track Length

What were the advantages and disadvantages in the past compared to the present...
I would guess that the distance raced is a major factor, the vehicles were accelerating hard in the mile, if they had another mile the speeds would have been greater, as long as they stayed together...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JoshH

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
Paul,

You should visit this post from Ack before the event - http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8252.165.html

post #175

There is some really interesting insight here. I'm not implying that aero is not important, just not easily quantified using computer modeling.

Online jl222

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
What are the components of speed on the salt...
Horsepower
Aero
Traction
Track Length

What were the advantages and disadvantages in the past compared to the present...
I would guess that the distance raced is a major factor, the vehicles were accelerating hard in the mile, if they had another mile the speeds would have been greater, as long as they stayed together...

The salt was real salt in the old days and blinding white not dirty looking as today and not half dirt at the start.
  Looking at the old fotos makes one realize how much has been mined and leached away.

JL222

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the link, Josh. I hadn`t read that thread, and find the post really interesting, especially in the light of Ack`s comments about the actual horsepower vs the computer calculated horsepower, and the feeling that 360 plus was about it....then the bike goes 394..... JL, I take your point about traction/course length and condition. I remember those days too, even though I only go back to`84. I suspect that this may become academic in the not too distant future, unless the Gerlach venue and access becomes doable....I have those Salt filled Railroad Car pics too....I suppose, then, that the course conditions are going to nullify any percieved or real gains in the other areas discussed, then? Is 420-450 about it for wheel driven cars? Anyone?

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
Stainless how 'bout adding

Reliable components
Luck

To your parameters,

Have to disagree that the Salt when just nature took care of it was always pristine.
 '75 it was rough as a b####h and brown/gray dirty as the street in front of my house. (Didn't have fast food wrapper trash, though). One of the guys in our group riding a Trident complained of bloody urine from his kidneys after a pass.
We've wondered if the Utah Highway Dept stopped dragging he course about then.
A person, unknown to me at the time, paid a visit to our pit during that Speed Week  A guy named  Fried, Floyd, Fled, something like that, who, I'm told, has become legendary.
Something to do with high speed driving in reverse and motorbiking in the buff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:24:52 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »
It may be possible that the track length and salt frictional coefficient does not allow speeds beyond the 400's at Bonneville.  We all get better and it would be expected that, if a barrier to more speed exists, the number of us reaching that barrier at each meet would increase. 

Offline tortoise

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
It may be possible that the track length and salt frictional coefficient does not allow speeds beyond the 400's at Bonneville. 

No problem. Just add downforce and horsepower as required.