Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596426 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #1215 on: May 20, 2019, 05:48:44 PM »
Rob,
If you only use the Pall filter for the dyno it would be worth the effort and cost over the Oberg. The Pall filter has a "beta" rating at 6 microns of 200 which means that it will catch 199 out of 200 6 micron particles that that go through it, that is 99.995% efficient. This means that it will actually clean your engine and oil tank during dyno operation. This filter was used by Nissan Racing as the dyno filter on all of their racing engines specifically to clean the engines during dyno testing. The Operg will catch rocks, birds and small children the Pall will literally clean your engine. 

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1216 on: May 20, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
Wix says:

"We offer two very different and distinct racing filter lines. For maximum flow and horsepower the lowest restriction pure racing media filters are recommended – oil (T-10) and air (T-66). However, when endurance and better engine protection are needed, WIX’s high efficiency endurance media filters are the correct choice – oil (T-71) and air (T-88). "

http://wixfilters.com/Speciality/6-17-13%20wix%20racing%20catalog2.pdf

I don't know what the micron rating is of their AP and EE filter types but they recommend their AP filter for maximum flow while the EE filter element is intended for endurance applications. I assume that "endurance" filters have a finer micron filter rating.

Putting a filter between the dry-sump pan is a good idea but you need only a very low- restriction screen to keep big pieces out of the dry sump pump. Between its outlet and the oil tankshouldn'tn't need a very fine filter; the engine oil pump outlet needs a good filter but one that is way too fine may have higher pressure drop, especially as it becomes loaded with debris.

If I remember right, Ford made that mistake on one of their Indy cars back in the '60s or '70s- they used a small oil filter with a very fine micron rating and during the race it packed up and cut off the engine oil supply.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline John Burk

« Reply #1217 on: May 20, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
Pall (Paul) oil filters also have very low pressure drop so normally nothing bypasses . The codes are available on line . When you understand the numbers you can get screw on filters and heads fairly cheap on ebay .

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #1218 on: May 21, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »
A comment on the Wix filters: Their filter media is organic fiber, i.e. paper held together with added resin. Paper fibers have a set diameter and density so how do you get a finer paper element? you compress it so that the channels between the fibers get smaller and then you glue them in place with the addition of resin. All of this just makes the pressure drop across the filter media increase and reduce its contamination holding ability. This, like screen filters, is 1940s filter technology. As John said, the Pall filter for a given micron rating will have substantially lower pressure drop than a paper filter of the same rating. I have personally applied Pall filtration in a large number of industrial application with flow rates exceeding 500 gpm and pressures exceeding 7500 psi and the Pall filtration always performed as we required which is why I am so positive on the Pall product. Automotive filters are mostly paper media and that is because it is cheap and does an acceptable job for the every day drive to the store car engine. I don't consider an engine that is going to power a car to over 500 mph as being in this same classification. If you are going to invest 20-30 K dollars in a race engine then why save money on the filter? Oil is the life blood of a race engine, clean oil gives the engine maximum life.

Rex
Rex

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1219 on: May 21, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »
Rex & John;

I did not know that Pall made automotive oil filters!  Good grief, I've used them in industrial application- the type made of wound textile fibers- but that's all. Does Pall make a spin-on oil filter for a SBC?

Offline John Burk

« Reply #1220 on: May 21, 2019, 02:33:53 PM »
Pall makes industrial oil filters but they work fine for engine oil . Pall filters are crisscrossed layers of fine glass strands that are heated till the strands fuse together to maintain the gaps . Thanks Rex for telling us about them .

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1221 on: May 22, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
I have been studying up and these Pall filters are impressive.
The 7500 is so big though. That is not going to fit in our car.

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline John Burk

« Reply #1222 on: May 22, 2019, 03:39:21 PM »
Rob 7400's are about the right size .

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #1223 on: September 26, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
Brandon,
I hope you are still following this thread. Any info on Rob? It has been several weeks now and I have not seen anything on his condition.

Rex
Rex

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1224 on: September 26, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
This is the latest from Rob's wife Sue on Facebook:

"A wise woman sent me her blog post yesterday titled ?We Cannot Direct the Wind." She discusses that, unfortunately, situations happen and life is full of trouble. She asks "Where should we set our sails in a crisis?" God is where I have chosen to set my sail through this terrible event. I cannot control the situation, as much as I would like to. If it were up to me, Rob would be awake right now, endlessly throwing the ball for our Labrador puppy! But God is in control. In His time, I feel confident that Rob will be healed.

This was one of Rob?s favorite pictures from 2016 SpeedWeek. (shout out to Liz Leggett Photography!). I was not able to make the 2017 event. Strangely enough, none of the crew wanted to fill my shoes and kiss him before his runs?

Thursday morning update:

Yesterday was a good day! Rob was off the ventilator breathing on his own for about 10 hours! His temperature was a little high and he is being checked for infection. His tube feed rate was increased since he is tolerating that with no trouble. He is physically improving, just waiting for his brain to heal.

Today, he?s been off the ventilator for about 2.5 hours so far. We hope to push him past the 10-hour mark, but do not want to tire him. No timeframe set for our return to PA.

All those close to Rob, both in SLC and PA, are so very grateful for the outpouring of support and love you have shown. The medical care he has received is superb. The way we are being cared for by so many people around the globe is so heartwarming. Thank you again!

Sue and Family"

There is a Go Fund Me page set up at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-freyvogels

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1225 on: November 08, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
From Rob's Wife Sue on the Carbinite LSR Facebook.

Carbinite LSR
23 hrs ?

I had the opportunity to climb the mountain behind the hospital this week. The weather was perfect, and the trail was very pretty. This picture is from the peak, looking down into the city. The actual view was much more beautiful than this photo portrays. While hiking, I started to ponder the old bumper sticker ?God is my Co-Pilot.? No idea why my mind went down that path? My thought was always ?if God is your co-pilot, you had better change seats!?

Many people have commented about how well I am handling this whole circumstance. There is a long line of strong-willed practical women on both sides of my family, and I do follow in their footsteps. But if I am honest, this situation really is beyond my strength. Falling apart inside is an almost daily occurrence. I am tired and sometimes angry and want to go home! But I am learning each day to rely on God?s provision, to wait on His timing, and to seek His will and purpose in all of this. He is my Pilot, has a plan, and speaks to me in many ways. One way He speaks is through the blessing of having such a wide group of supporters who have all gone above-and-beyond to take care of us. Thank you again, each and every one of you, for all you have done.

Rob has been more awake the last few days. What I mean by awake is just that, less sleepy and more alert. I don?t mean that he is communicating or really aware. Yet. He has been responding to sounds outside his room, following commands a little more consistently, and holding my hand more frequently.

The doctors, after reviewing the latest CT scan, decided that he would benefit from a permanent drain. Off to the operating room today, once again. He just got back to the lCU an hour ago and is still very sleepy. All went well, no complications. He has another really bad haircut... Praying and hoping that this will take us one step closer to Pennsylvania!

Regards,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1226 on: November 09, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
Thanks to Sue and Tom for the update
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1227 on: November 18, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
From Andy on the Carbinite LSR Facebook.

Carbinite LSR
November 13 at 5:33 PM ?

The USFRA held their awards banquet on Saturday where Sue and a few of the team attended. Definitely bittersweet to record the fastest time of the meet on the run in which he crashed. Average time of 392 mph over the 4th mile and still accelerating quickly heading into the final mile.
Rob had surgery last week to place a permanent drain in his brain, and after a couple days back in the ICU to keep a close watch on him, he is back in a regular room. He continues to progress slowly as doctors are expecting, with a little more consistent response in blinking and moving his hands and feet, but nothing really new to share. We appreciate the love and care given by the racing community, and all the friends and family that have pitched in with notes, gifts and help in a variety of ways. Thank you! We will let you know when we have new info to share. Andy

Thanks Andy,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline tf737sb

• #77 A/BFS J&S Racing
  • New folks
« Reply #1228 on: May 12, 2020, 04:49:16 PM »
In case anyone is still following this thread, I'll post it here first.
Firstly, best of wishes to Rob and his recovery.  I've heard there is some good progress in the last few months!
Secondly, in this expanse of uncertain downtime, we've been tinkering on our 'liner's aero package. It was always an intention to make the wings adjust angle at speed- much like the Carbiliner. I've got a system built in my mind (and on paper) to get the job done, but I was curious to see if anyone could shed some light on how Rob and the team manipulated their rear wing at speed. Of course if this info is proprietary skunk-works development, I'll kindly sit back down.

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #1229 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23:44 PM »