Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596465 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #1125 on: February 17, 2015, 09:41:07 AM »
Hi All,
Here is a interview done on us for our local cable network.
It occurred to me that many of you do not have facebook accounts and may not have seen this yet. If not, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0xSQEX0DIE

Rob, Brandon, John,

First of all, that's a great video. Really interesting for those of us far away to be able to put a voice and personality to the names. And the car! Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks so much lower and sleeker than in the still photos. If ever there was an example of "if it looks right it is right" surely this is it.

But I do have a question: why did Larry Berg (guided by you?) keep mentioning George Poteet's 439 record when some/many/most (take your pick) people would consider Don Vesco's 458 to be the wheel-driven record to aim for? I appreciate turbine is different to internal combustion, but it's still wheel-driven.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1126 on: February 17, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
I agree Tricky. I had very little control over the questions he asked. I gave him a quick education a couple of days before about the current state of the records and then he did some of his own research. It was a lot to dump on a layman all at once.  He knew absolutely nothing about Bonneville a few days prior to the interview. We did not have a clue about what questions he would be asking until he asked them. We did our best to keep it entertaining for the lay person watching and the car enthusiast alike.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #1127 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »
why did Larry Berg (guided by you?) keep mentioning George Poteet's 439 record when some/many/most (take your pick) people would consider Don Vesco's 458 to be the wheel-driven record to aim for?

The FIA of course do not make it any easier for the non enthusiast to follow when they demand that an automobile can only break a record in the class determined by the type of engine, use of forced induction (or not) and by total cubic capacity of the motors (for conventional 4 stroke or diesel).

With a big block motor of over 8 litres and turbocharging the 'Carbinite Liner' will/should/could break the record speeds set by the Burklands - mile at 415.896mph and by Al Teague - kilo at 425.050mph in the category, group, class, designates as A-I-11. 

With the smaller capacity engine the team could have challenged the Poteet speeds of 439.024 & 439.562 (A-I-10). [So the questioning on the video may have been legitimate].

To be the 'fastest automobile' any contender has of course to aim for the Late Don Vesco speeds of 458.444 & 458.196 mph, but only the Vesco team seem to be running a vehicle in that classification and should/could break Don's records in 2015 (salt permitting).

And aren't we all glad that the 1% improvement rule has been allowed to slip away from the FIA rules.  If the governiong body had not, then a record in A-I-11 at 460mph might not have been deemed fast enough.

What the FIA should be doing is awarding an 'absolute' title to the automobile mile and/or kilo speed, what most here on landracing.com know as the "wheeldriven record speed". :roll:

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1128 on: February 17, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
Rob,
You are right that I was really asking for people that may not quite know where Butler, PA is. I have had the privilege of visiting the Carbonite shop several times and can say that each visit was a great experience and the people are just about the best. Good luck on your winter projects and let's all hope for good salt in 2015 I want to see a 450+mph shoot out at Bonneville!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1129 on: February 22, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Excellent interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1130 on: February 22, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1131 on: February 25, 2015, 02:54:07 AM »

Did a little aero testing today. It was very cold (15degrees F) to hang our hand out the window of a 49 mph car but I believe that we got some good data. With the wheel fairing extension (grafted on last June)  it looks like the center of pressure is approx 23.7" behind the center of gravity (center of mass). This number will increase a bit with the new lighter, stiffer wheel fairings and aluminum parachute box / pusher bar.
I did some experiments with the holes halfway between the marks  and it is still very stable. I feel good about this part of the design work.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1132 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:25 AM »
That sounds like a South African experiment. :-D

Good one Rob. I hope it all works for you man.

God Bless.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #1133 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
Rob
Was your CP test with the nose or the side of the model into the wind ?

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1134 on: February 25, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »
Both.
A 90 degree angle of attack is not a true representation of cp because the far wheel pant (vertical stabilizer) is in the shadow of the leading wheel pant. The cp mark that you see on the pictures was established at 90 degrees.  If I tried to straighten the model manually,  I would push to about the 30 degree mark and then it would snap straight indicating that the dynamic cp (which we care most about) is located even further back than indicated on the picture.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #1135 on: February 12, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
We are looking to make our loading and unloading off the trailer a bit more automated.
We are looking to make the crane pivot motorized with two micro switches that stops crane in the same place every time. Anybody know where I can find a 12vdc geared motor that would be suitable for such a task? I'm guessing generate about 500-700 ft/lbs to swing the crane. It does have bearings and grease fittings but it does take some oooomf to get it swung around.
I'm thinking it should take about 30 second to make the 180 degree Swing.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1136 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
How about welding on a steering arm and using a linear actuator to swing the crane around? Many 12v actuators have limit switches built-in. I used to have a C-band satellite dish that used one to steer the dish in hour angle.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Texican

« Reply #1137 on: February 12, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
Rob:
  Sounds very similar to a wheelchair ramp or lift set-up.
The top manufacturer of these items is Braun; located SOMEWHERE IN WISCONSIN, I think.
Try an inquiry to Braun.com, and ask one of their engineers to share their supplier list with you.

Regards,
Jim

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #1138 on: February 12, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
How about welding on a steering arm and using a linear actuator to swing the crane around? Many 12v actuators have limit switches built-in. I used to have a C-band satellite dish that used one to steer the dish in hour angle.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

It's hard to get a full 180 degree swing with an arm and actuator. We actually only need about 160 degrees but tat might still be too much.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #1139 on: February 12, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

It's hard to get a full 180 degree swing with an arm and actuator. We actually only need about 160 degrees but tat might still be too much.

You could drive a geared rack with the linear actuator, with a pinion gear at the base of the crane?
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams