Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596422 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #870 on: September 30, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
Congrats guys looks like some pretty happy air back there  :-)  Does Eric think the rear wheel fairings  or the main body is causing the chute to fly to the inside of the turn?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:03:17 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #871 on: September 30, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Good data, those QC's are noisy. the chute looked great, also looked like good straight runs, love it, just think how much fun the salt will bring. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #872 on: September 30, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Congrats guys looks like some pretty happy air back there  :-)

sure does! That exhaust is nowhere near the velocity it will be on a high speed pass, we made no boost at all. The black smoke was due to a 140 degree peak block temp and 36 degree inlet air.If you look closely, those exhaust plumes are clearly re-attatching at the tip of the stinger.

Granted we had no flap applied, so this was a clean aerodynamic profile. It is interesting to view though, it looks like the exhaust gasses are forming a 12" cylinder that follows the car very consistently and without much turbulence.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #873 on: September 30, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
The chutes were blown to the right of the car's path by a fairly stiff breeze. If we had slowed just a bit more and the chute deflated before the turn we wouldn't have picked the taxi light off.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Jon

« Reply #874 on: September 30, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
Congratulations guys, another very successful step.

Lots of valuable data and familiarisation that will set you up for a good "first" crack at the salt.
I can only imagine how disappointed you all were not to be at the salt this year but its all going feel very natural by the time the salt is ready for you next year.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline desotoman

« Reply #875 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
Congratulations on your outing.

And a big THANK YOU to Sparky and JoeA for the loan or ? of the tires which made this possible.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #876 on: September 30, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
AWESOME!!!!

The way the exhaust leaves the tip of the tail says it all, sensational car that.Great to see everything coming together so well. Congratulations again.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

gkabbt

« Reply #877 on: September 30, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
Brandon, just posted this in the Wilmington Picture Thread:
In the second video it looks like the top of the wheel covering is moving around as speed increases.
Is it just me or does anyone else see it? I don't think the camera is playing tricks because I don't see it anywhere else.

Gregg

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #878 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
I see it but the vehicle is rigid mounted in the rear and could be track surface causing the flutter, might need a stiffner added. The front view wasn't that clear, it could also be the camera mounting.On the vesco liner we have two forward and two facing aft. adding one more in the cockpit as well. They really tell a good story of our runs.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tauruck

« Reply #879 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
Rob, I watched both videos. Nice stuff. The car looks great. What a job you guys did!!! :cheers:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re:
« Reply #880 on: October 01, 2013, 10:10:46 AM »
It's definitely not the wind causing movement on the wheel fairing. It was the bumpy ride. Overall it is very smooth and I'm certainly not complaining. No way around those expansion joints. I can't wait to get back to Wilmington next year for more testing and to get Brandon in the car. We probably should have let the air pressure of rear tires down to 50 from 90psi. Would have rode much smoother. Never even thought of it.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re:
« Reply #881 on: October 01, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »
We are considering El Mirage but wow, that's a long ride.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #882 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
El Mirage is a long trip and IFFY this time of year. You would be restricted to the full drivers tests and if lucky to get two runs in. As november is a two day meet maybe 4 runs. The lake bed is pretty soft and bumpy at times. If I were you continue with the testing at Ohio then to Bonneville.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #883 on: October 01, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »
I agree.  And if the winds crank up at Elmo in the afternoon, like they usually do, you will have even less time for runs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:07:18 PM by Finallygotit »
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline joea

« Reply #884 on: October 01, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
good stuff Rob...on the "smoothness"....good the way you tested...more "real" world...in that Bonneville
wont generally be "smoother"....and the speeds MUCH higher as well as the accompanying forces....