Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596499 times)

Offline bbarn

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Two new videos.

This video is the first launch, Rob was able to pull away from me at about 45 MPH. I was not pushing very hard / accelerating quickly to make sure the stinger stayed on the bar.

http://youtu.be/ljyqfnifGyc

In this video, we removed the wheel cover so that we could quickly check the brakes and tires after the run to make sure everything was working properly. We did notice that the push-truck takes a little nose high attitude with the trailer on and the recovery team all loaded in. Under acceleration I could feel the stinger sliding down the push plate. We'll adjust it this week to make sure we stay connected.

I also pushed a little harder this run, but with the threat of the stinger slipping under the push plate I backed off. I think we should be able to give it an even bigger push to get it rolling.

http://youtu.be/wUiLgIEeETk

This is starting to get real, Rob and I are very anxious to get out to the salt. Let's hope the bad weather is getting out of the way now and we can get WF and the Cook Shootout both in for October!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
A couple of other tests we were able to perform besides pushing the car off yesterday was loading, unloading, race prep and pack-up procedures.

The crane makes it really nice to work on the car while it is on the trailer. We have a method to lift just the rear, just the front or the whole car a one time. This makes it really nice to change tires, inspect or work on the lower side of the car without taking it off the trailer and jacking it up. Jacking it up means removing the belly pan and the nose of the car to prevent damaging the composites.

Loading and unloading involve lifting the car and simply swinging the crane on/off the trailer. Here is a short video of how smooth the winch lowers the car. We added a snatch block that attaches to the car to double the lifting and cut the speeds in half. Seems to work really well.

We can switch from transport mode to race mode (remove transport mounts and install tires) in about 15 minutes. Setting the car up for launch is about a 5 minute process. Recovering the car is about a 5 minute process as well.

http://youtu.be/X-7upUm959A

Offline gray63

« Reply #827 on: September 15, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »
Very cool videos.  October will be here very soon.  I hope that the weather is more cooperative
than it has been this month.
Good luck guys.  Everyone is pulling for you

Dave Gray

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #828 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Over the top. Gave me goosebumps. Wish we see it run. :cheers: :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline RichFox

« Reply #829 on: September 15, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »
Yeah. Good luck with the weather to you and all the other guys who want to run. Sure is a slick looking car.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #830 on: September 15, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
You all have done so much in one year and to see it run is so cool. We sure hope to see you on the salt in a few days. We plan to have the Turbinator II and the little giant liners there as well. Pray for good weather and salt. Congrats on a super effor to make it happen. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #831 on: September 15, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
Rob and Guys,
Absolutely F   ing fantastic!! It does give me goose bumps and it is so impressive.

I am not very religious but I am praying for good weather at the World Finals.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #832 on: September 16, 2013, 01:16:10 AM »
Why not a larger "push plate" on the push vehicle? [Or am I not seeing all of the plate?]. It appears that its height could be almost doubled without interfering much with cooling air into the front of the push truck. I assume it's quickly detachable for other driving?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #833 on: September 16, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »
Why not a larger "push plate" on the push vehicle? [Or am I not seeing all of the plate?]. It appears that its height could be almost doubled without interfering much with cooling air into the front of the push truck. I assume it's quickly detachable for other driving?

It is plenty tall enough and wide enough, we just missed a minor detail. When the crew is loaded and trailer is attached, it sits a little nose high. The plate is 12"x32" which works well, it just needs lowered 3 inches.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #834 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »
Rob and Guys,
Absolutely F   ing fantastic!! It does give me goose bumps and it is so impressive.

I am not very religious but I am praying for good weather at the World Finals.

Rex

Absolutely double F   ing^2 fantastic!!  Gives me poose gimples, too! :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #835 on: September 16, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
AWESOME!! So cool to see the ole girl moving under its own power!  :cheers: Good job guys!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #836 on: September 16, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
You all have done so much in one year and to see it run is so cool. We sure hope to see you on the salt in a few days. We plan to have the Turbinator II and the little giant liners there as well. Pray for good weather and salt. Congrats on a super effor to make it happen. :cheers:

If you get there before us Glen, save us a spot. Would love to pit next to you guys.

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #837 on: September 16, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
Stunning! :cheers:
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #838 on: September 16, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
bbarn will try to save you a spot. Be great to meet all of you. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #839 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:53 PM »
What is Carbinite? This is one application. Here we are adding about .0005 tungsten carbide coating on one of the sliding surfaces on our crane. This will give a a dissimilar material between the two sliding surfaces to prevent galling.
During crane maintenance we noticed that we were having some metal transferring from galling. This should fix it.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com