Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596389 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #795 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Rob, that jewel would look very nice at Wilmington end of this month!  :-D
We don't have tires for Wilmington but we might stop in with it as we are traveling to World Finals.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #796 on: September 04, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
It looks devastating Rob. Love a new approach and this is outside the box and, my bet, above the mark.

Congratulations on getting through the build, you'll do well.

Cheers  :cheers:

Dr G
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:13:06 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #797 on: September 05, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
WOW! That is sharp looking!

Fitting the pics were at an airport, as it looks like a jet fighter!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #798 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
Rob, that jewel would look very nice at Wilmington end of this month!  :-D
We don't have tires for Wilmington but we might stop in with it as we are traveling to World Finals.

Rob, I didn't say you had to run it! Just wanted the chance to drool on it!  :-D

Me thinks this is a game changer!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #799 on: September 05, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
I hope everyone that looks at the Carbinite car realize that this is the new look of going fast without having 3-5000 horse power. This car is built on the NLF( Natural Laminar Flow) work of people like Carmichael and Eric Ahlstrom (AKA Blue).  This car is designed and built to accelerate faster and have a higher terminal speed with less horse power than any of the present day contenders for the 500 mph wheel driven record. It will be exciting to watch it develop.

I am sorry that the WOS was canceled and the Carbinite and the Target 550 were not able to run but for me it will allow me to attend the World Finals in early October, if the rain gods can be kept happy, and see the initial runs of this ground breaking car.

See you there!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline superleggera

« Reply #800 on: September 05, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »
One thought given the delay now is if you are friends with the folks at the airport (or one nearby) -- can you make a few "system check runs" ( <100 mph) down the runway during non-busy hours?  Inevitably a lot can be learned quickly before you get to the salt flats upcoming with an untested streamliner. 
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #801 on: September 05, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
One thought given the delay now is if you are friends with the folks at the airport (or one nearby) -- can you make a few "system check runs" ( <100 mph) down the runway during non-busy hours?  Inevitably a lot can be learned quickly before you get to the salt flats upcoming with an untested streamliner. 

True, but I think they are not wanting to hurt the Solid Front wheels.  How about a run on a Chassis Dyno?

By the way, This is a very stunning car, when you guys first proposed it I frankly never even expected it to come to life, but it is even more fantastic now that it is ready.    :cheers:

This puppy getting a personal name?
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Freud

« Reply #802 on: September 05, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
In my opinion personal names and nicknames are earned.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #803 on: September 05, 2013, 06:17:51 PM »
We are thinking about a dyno check and some passes on a runway. I've made some calls today and worked out which local airports we can't use and which one we can. The issue is the FAA has clamped down on airport use, it can only be used for aviation services if it receives federal dollars.

Since I do not want to excersize my FAA privileges while driving the car, we'll go to a private airfield for some test runs. We are working out a gearing change that will let us shift into at least second gear for a good tranny test.

One of the critical systems we want to check is chute deployment. That will be hard to accomplish on the dyno. The dyno is not a big priority item as the engine and transmission was transplanted and was working well in Vinnie.

We want to install some cameras on the wheel fairings to monitor the chute doors and deployment to see what we can learn. While a 100 mph pass doesn't show us what a high speed pass will do, at least it is some data.

We also want to see how the "stinger" holds up while pushing the car off. Again with the cameras and a good review of what is going on when pushing off.

As for the aluminum rollers, we do have some rubber 21's for the front, but they are not high speed tires, 100mph is about all we would want to try with them.

If we get out this weekend to Green County airport, we'll be sure to post some pics/vids for you guys to see.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #804 on: September 05, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »
In my opinion personal names and nicknames are earned.

FREUD

Agreed, we refer to it as the streamlined or liner, nothing special. If it earns a name/nickname, so be it. Until then its just the #496 streamliner.

Offline gidge348

Re:
« Reply #805 on: September 05, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
I've made some calls today and worked out which local airports we can't use and which one we can. The issue is the FAA has clamped down on airport use, it can only be used for aviation services if it receives federal dollars.

Maybe tell them it is an experimental aircraft and you want to do some ground tests. :-P

If we get out this weekend to Green County airport, we'll be sure to post some pics/vids for you guys to see.

Yes Please.....  :-D

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #806 on: September 09, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
We had the car officially entered at Speedweek as the "Carbiliner" since Carbinite has sponsored the project to this point.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #807 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
We do have slow speed rubber front tires to test at the airport.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline bbarn

« Reply #808 on: September 12, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
So, we did a little test last night at the shop to gauge tire growth and clearance within the wheel fairings. Rob was on throttle, I was on camera, Ted was safety man while Thomas and Ryan hid in the office doorway.   :-D

This was the last test we performed, we blocked the car off the ground and secured it so that the tires wouldn't touch ground. Stabilized the chassis so that it wouldn't rock from torque and ran the car through the gears to a target spindle speed to produce 540 MPH of surface speed at the wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBhiJNbB6KA&feature=share&list=UUudh2K7DaZfmUIiOXH-DYzw

CHECK OUT THAT TIRE GROWTH!   :-o

So we know from this test, as well as others, where our limit for speed is with this wheel well/tire configuration. There is a little more clearance than it appears on the video because of the camera angle at 540 MPH surface speed, but we will need to allow room for salt build-up.

Saturday we will be testing the push-bar / stinger we have to ensure it holds up as planned. It is really good to see some of these things getting done before we get to the salt. Hopefully it will make for a more enjoyable time at WF...as long as the weather doesn't cheat us out of another chance.

-Brandon

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #809 on: September 12, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Wow, that was cool. I can understand why some would hide :cheers:

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15