Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596419 times)

Offline Geo

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #675 on: April 22, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
OMG can I come over to play!  :-D

Rob, I really love this shape, execution, outside the box thinking, craftmanship. It just makes me want to do better things. Thanks for taking the time to post the progress and the tools!

Really, can I come over to play!   :cheers:

Geo

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #676 on: April 23, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Geo, come on over!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Podunk

« Reply #677 on: May 21, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
I'm working with another liner builder to machine aluminum wheels for 30" Mickeys. We are thinking flat forged 6061 T6. Would you mind sharing what you are using for your front solid tires?
Great Build Diary. Thanks

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #678 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
Podunk, pm sent.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #679 on: May 23, 2013, 09:54:55 AM »
Rob, did you get in contact with Don?

The concept of the composite rims that Blue mentioned when I spoke with him is intriguing. Would you mind explaining to all of us the manufacturing process?

Love the build!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #680 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »
I did send (emailed) the detail drawing for the 21" front rollers to him. Have not heard back if he has received them yet.
Eric wants to design a giant groove into the the OD of the wheel. The roller would now actually look a little like a conventional wheel. The next step would be to filament wind glass fibers and resin into the groove until it achieved the rough shape of the tire profile. After the resin cures, the roller would then be mounted to a hub that is chucked in a lathe and a final profile and ribbed tread could be cut on the OD.
This would be substantially stronger and lighter than a solid aluminum rollers.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #681 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »
Here is what we did to finish up the flaps. Eric layed up the tops and bottoms the bonded them together and foam filled them at the same time.
Then Ray Vinson recessed the ends and trimmed and trued the flaps for length and squareness.

Then I used the plasma cutter to cut out the sheet metal end plates and welded the 1" hex collars to them. They were then sandblasted to promote adhesion of the epoxy resin.

The next step was to make up some epoxy resin mixed with milled fibre. This was then used to fill the open foam and any low spots on the foam. The sheet metal end were then laid on top of the wet resin.

Then the exposed side of the sheet metal was painted with resin and a sheet of heavy bi-axial cloth was laid on top of the sheet metal end. Note that there was a hole cut in the bi-axial that fit over the collar and holes were cut in the sheet metal ends to key every thing together. We then cut out some tight fitting plywood plugs and taped them up with Mylar packing tape for release agent. These were then inserted into the ends of the flap, clamped up and allowed to cure.

Note the hex shaft was inserted though the assembly to ensure good alignment.

The next day we trimmed the flap ends and tried them out.
http://youtu.be/7J9faGWORBk
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #682 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »
I'm actually in Arkansas all week with my oldest son at Home schoolers Speech and Debate National Competition (his Speedweek). All I can do this week is expedite parts via phone and email. Still, that consumes a ton of time. Every serious effort like this one almost needs a team member that does nothing but get quotes and expedite parts. It is very time consuming.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #683 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
More pics.
Marking wing hole in fuselage.

Body working fuselage

The two Teds (Wolf and Freyvogel)holding up our welder Dave Chiotti.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #684 on: June 02, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
More pics of recent progress

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #685 on: June 02, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
Woo Hoo, I love this thing. looks almost ready for flight. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #686 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Figuratively,,, Figuratively   !!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #687 on: June 04, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »
What Sparky said.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #688 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »
All I can say is WOW. Now I've got to go out to the barn and throw rocks at my project.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #689 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
Blist---there have been some pretty crude cars gone pretty fast--my old ride Ratical went fairly fast and it has been called "the WUL"---worlds ugliest lakester  take bad aim with the rocks if you must-- but finish it, put it on the Salt---and try to go visit "the Mayor"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!