Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596445 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #525 on: January 25, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »

PVA is sprayed onto the mold as a release agent.
Looks sweet, huh?

Composite body panel is laid up on the male mold. Material was just big enough that no seems we're necessary. Peel ply was used as the final sheet of layup.
This drastically helps reduce resin percentage and promotes more consistent panel thickness. It gives results close to vacuum bagging with an added benefit of a surface finish that promotes adhesion of final bodywork or additional composite work for whatever.

I know this is a very abbreviated description of how this was done but I don't know what Is common knowledge and what is a trade secret on how Eric does these things.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #526 on: January 25, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
Amazing work, Eric and Rob!

Should go very nicely with the rest of the stuff you have done! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #527 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »
I stopped by Eric's place last summer on my way to Bonneville, and he was in the "sanding the foam" phase that Rob shows in his picture, we must remember that Eric is in Reno and August in Reno is kind of hot, I think it was around 105 deg F when I was there. One of the things that we all need to remember is that this car is being designed and built to take advantage of NLF, Natural Laminar Flow, which means that the body, at least to approx the 60% length must be smoother than a baby's a$$!! We are talking no stickers, no two tone paint, no nothing except an extremely smooth surface for the air to "rub" against. So once the actual body is pulled from the mold there will be (or have been) endless hours of block sanding to get the required surface smoothness. It will be beautiful and fast!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jon

« Reply #528 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
Very nice.
Is that the body being thrown straight off that plug or is that mould Eric is throwing and the body will be made from the inside of that?

I am doing similar but the piece I'm throwing is the body.

Thanks for sharing.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Tman

« Reply #529 on: January 25, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
Wow :cheers:

Offline basher13

« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing, looks great!
I've got no clue on any of the process it takes to do this, please keep posting.

It may have been posted already but are you shooting for Speedweek 2013?
The speed, quality and engineering of this build is outstanding!

:cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
Jon,
Eric is making the body directly from the male plug. He is a very experienced composite fabricator and told me that done right you can do a body this way and not have a lot of sanding to do to make it smooth.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:15 PM »
geez, that's a whole lot of work and a whole lot of nice.
very good craftsmanship.

good luck.

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Jon

« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »
Jon,
Eric is making the body directly from the male plug. He is a very experienced composite fabricator and told me that done right you can do a body this way and not have a lot of sanding to do to make it smooth.

Rex

Thanks Rex

I hope to show what can be working from the other end of the experience/skill spectrum over the next 12 months.
I'm going to try and do mine in one piece to stagger the joins.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »
Thank you for sharing, looks great!
I've got no clue on any of the process it takes to do this, please keep posting.

It may have been posted already but are you shooting for Speedweek 2013?
The speed, quality and engineering of this build is outstanding!

:cheers:
Dan
Thanks Dan,
Yes, we are planning on Speedweek 2013 to debut the car.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
Very nice.
Is that the body being thrown straight off that plug or is that mould Eric is throwing and the body will be made from the inside of that?

I am doing similar but the piece I'm throwing is the body.

Thanks for sharing.
jon
The plan now is to pull female molds off of the finished car so we can expedite car #2. As of now, the fuselage w tail cone are the only male molds.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline gidge348

« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting, have read the whole 30 plus pages and love what you are doing, breaking away from conventional thinking, developing your own take on the best way to “skin the cat” and actually DOING it.  Well done.

I have been thinking about the way the plug and mold are made for the body and have thought of making my body differently and would be interested in your (and others) comments.

Instead of getting the “ribs” Water Jet cut for the male mold, would it be feasible to cut a reverse (outside) of these and lay them out as you have done and use this directly as the female mold, similar to how you have made the wing molds.

This would mean that a plug would not be needed to be built and as the shape has already been determined in SolidWorks the dimensions should be correct.

Also because the body is taken directly from the Water Jet shape, not from a second generation shape (plug to mould to body) the shape should suffer less from pulling and distortion?

Ian...

Offline JimL

« Reply #537 on: January 26, 2013, 12:59:36 AM »
I've used a crude method like this for repairing small parts.

http://home.brisnet.com.au/~jmiller/leinfam/repairing_1.html

The inside compound curves are so hard to work, I just didnt try.  Instead, I built below finish to allow room for proper final shape.  As I said, its crude, but you can do a fast matching repair when pieces are missing from one side of a component.  The repair is very strong and this bike is still on the road.  New parts were over $1200, repair was about $30.

May be a useful trick to know, some day.  You dont need much to do it, either; most of the matrials are in auto parts stores, general stores, office supply, etc.

Sorry about the side track Rob, your stuff is a lot more exciting!
Regards, JimL
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:17:12 AM by JimL »

Offline DND

« Reply #538 on: January 26, 2013, 04:07:38 AM »
Hi Ian

Trying to sand the inside of the foam mold would drive you nuts before you ever got it done, the sandpaper corners  would be diging into the foam all the time.

Sanding on the outside of the foam master the corners of the paper are off the surface, plus you can get down low to the surface and sight down it and see how you doing for the hi's & low's'

Don

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #539 on: January 26, 2013, 08:49:55 AM »
Hi Ian. Thanks for the compliments.
Yes, you can do the body the way you described. It is just a bit harder to sand internal compound curves. Also it is a little harder to visualize.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com