Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596498 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #240 on: February 18, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
We also had to take some time out to build the tubing bender. My buddy had a JD2 with the 1-5/8 dieset. He had also bought almost everything needed to convert it over to hydraulic operation. He said we could borrow it if we did the engineering and built the fixturing. 30 hrs later!

Anyhow, I have the engineering for the conversion if anybody else wants to convert theirs. The advantage to our design is that we can make a full 90 degree bend in one shot.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #241 on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »
Other developments include the Chiseled Performance intercooler arriving and Dave Chiotti who is a professional welder joining the team. I love to weld but but for the welds that my life depends on, Dave can do those. I will post pics of the intercooler as soon as I weld on the 1" nipples.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
Nipples done! Intercooler done!
Thanks again to Robert at Chiseled Performance.

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline JoshH

« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
That's badass.  :-o

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
Also, I figured a way to tie the two flaps together to make sure they stayed at equal angles. It's just a simple sway bar arrangement.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2012, 12:15:48 PM »
You said nipples :-o that is a sweet piece.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
That's badass.  :-o

Yes, Robert does do excellent work.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
This is another REALLY nice build. Keep up the good work Rob!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline jl222

« Reply #248 on: February 20, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
Nipples done! Intercooler done!
Thanks again to Robert at Chiseled Performance.

Rob...why does it look like you can see inside to the intercooler cores :? 

I like the extra straps Chiseled welded on.

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
I was wondering about that myself.
The aluminum of the cores themselves do have a funny discolored pattern on them. I'm guessing that how Chiseled received them.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
The pattern happens when they furnace braze the core to the end plates.

Rob,
Have you ever thought about making the flaps such that as you gain speed they deflect closer to flat to maintain some down force but reduce drag? I have always thought that a coil over shock connected to the flap(s) would work. As you went faster the flaps would act against the spring to reduce their angle of incidence and maintain a set amount of down force but reduce drag. How do you plan to set the flaps?

Great build!! I am going to be in you area early June and WILL stop by.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jl222

« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
The pattern happens when they furnace braze the core to the end plates.

Rob,
Have you ever thought about making the flaps such that as you gain speed they deflect closer to flat to maintain some down force but reduce drag? I have always thought that a coil over shock connected to the flap(s) would work. As you went faster the flaps would act against the spring to reduce their angle of incidence and maintain a set amount of down force but reduce drag. How do you plan to set the flaps?

Great build!! I am going to be in you area early June and WILL stop by.

Rex

Seems like either the air or the water should go through those tubes. Looks like water goes around tubes but how does air
flow :?

If I remember right Rob is planning on varying the spoiler angle at shift points 8-)

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
Yes, the the flap angle will be tied to vehicle speed directly through a PLC (programmable logic control). We will be able to maintain approx 3000 lbs of downforce from 180 mph through 550mph. Initially we planned to tie flap angle to gear position but since speed varies so much from shift point to shift point, we realized that it was not a good idea and the mph itself was more relative.
Rex, can't wait to see you out here in Butler, PA.  Brandon and I will do our best to show you a good time!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »
Btw Rex, that was the same idea that I had initially had about controlling flap angle via an adjustable air cylinder and reserve tank. Simply put, Eric said "no, you don't want to do that". That's the great part about this team. I trust everyone's area of expertise. Initially, I just say "ok", then I learn why when time permits. This allows us to move pretty quickly. Up to this point in time, after doing the research, I have found Eric to be right 100% of the time on all things aero related.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
Rob, you three guys are showing us one of the best times that WE gear heads can have:---a well thought out new tech approach to  watch and learn from. 

Very little of my car could not have been done in the '60s  we are using some hi tech stuff to verify our choices  so far we have made one major change: the "Wild Weasel" nose 

update 3/1/12:  the noses is off the back end of a tip tank from the '50s. The Thud Spud was a F105-B bomb bay ferry tank.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:52:45 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!