Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596393 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Marlo had his wheels made by Taylor and they filled the order to the letter.

FREUD
Thanks Freud,
Do you have contact info at Taylor? I can't find them on the internet.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:33 PM »
Marlo had his wheels made by Taylor and they filled the order to the letter.

FREUD
Thanks Freud,
Do you have contact info at Taylor? I can't find them on the internet.
The number I have is 323 567 3998. I think they have been sold. Check with Ferguson? Wayno

Offline The wonderful One

« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »
I talked with Taylor about three weeks ago. They have some environmental problems that could finish the business. You may wish to talk with Bob Sage at Wheel Smith. (800) 854-8937. They can make any wheel including 18". They are fast,good and will stand behind the product. The Wonderful One

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
Nobody answered the taylor number. I will try wheel smith.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »
"The number I have is 323 567 3998. I think they have been sold. Check with Ferguson? Wayno"

Whats wrong with Wayne's post? Only two above your last one, one when you wote that no one replied.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
Rob,
Your last post was in June, an progress on your project??? Up date if possible.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
Robb---come on man give us a Christmas up date!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »
You might try their web site:

http://carbinitelsr.com/

It looks like they are making some good progress and the goal is still Aug of 2012.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
thanks Rex
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2011, 07:38:49 PM »
Okay, quick update.
First, we just moved the shop (both Carbinite and the fabricating shop) starting in November. About three times more working room.
We are still in the process of making it sweet (lights, paint, assembly room, compressor room, tons of wiring, etc).
I would say we have another 2 weeks of shop work before we can get back to Streamliner construction.
Engineering is only about 95% done but it is far enough along that we can make the parts that have been locked down.
Doing things in the virtual world of solid modeling really has its advantages. Once I have finished final engineering on a component like a tank, solid works lets me quickly make a sheet metal template in a .dxf format. I then email that file to my local waterjet guy along with quantity, material and thickness. He will then call me in a couple of days and tell me "come get these things". I then run them over to my buddy with the box break and what do you know, everything fits up perfect every time. Makes for some really fast part production for 1 off or 2 off pieces. It also lets me get pretty extravagant with design as the waterjet machine does not care how complex I make it.
I've also really enjoyed getting back to tig welding. I used to do it for a living 20 some years ago. Welds on the aluminum tanks are not the prettiest but the oil and fuel tanks did pass leak test with just some really minor touchups.
So. What do we have now?
1) fuel and oil tanks complete
2) headers started
3) 2.0 extremeliner rearend is here with all custom brackets and brakes. (never thought I would spend so much on a rear end).
4) 4sp Transmission is ordered from B&J (Sent deposit many months ago. I told him no hurry as it's not holding me up).
5) (4) rear wheels are here from Custom and Commercial Wheel.
6) All parts are here for the water tank and hope to have it complete within a few days. This watertank is a very serious piece as it is a structural part of the car. It is compartmentalized for engine cooling and intercooling water.
7) Chassis tubing is all here.
8) Steering wheel and pedals are here.
9) Mold is built for the rear wheel fairings.
10) Fixturing is built to check wheel and tire runout.
11) Forward chute box is released to waterjet
12) Chassis fixture is designed and all materials (2 x 4 tubing and 12" I-beams) are in house

Vinny is now retired and ready to give up his heart (496 BBC) and all his electronics. The last thing he did was to go 8.76 et on just 22 psi of boost.
There is certainly a long way to go but I try to get something done on it everyday. In order to make it to Speedweek 2012, I will need to start putting about 40 hours a week into the project and come up with lump of money for the body molds. Brandon and I can build the molds if we have to but it sure will take a lot of time.
We really want this done for 2012. We are having so much fun with the build that I hate to rush as it removes much of the fun.

Thanks again to Eric Alhstrom who has been my educator and friend through his whole project.

BTW, lost my rulebook in move. Can someone tell me if the clutch can must be SFI or will any 1/4" steel can be okay.
The problem that I'm having is finding an SFI can that is for low ground clearance applications.
This is the one I want to use.  http://www.stockcarproducts.com/tilton4.htm    Is this one okay?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
!/4" steel is 1/4" steel  :-P

WOW!!!  I can wait to here "B'inne"  swoosh down the track

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
You know there is nothing quite like the feeling of having your racecar run and drive under it own power for the first time. I'm guessing it's a lot like giving birth or something. Not that ever tried to give birth to anything. I mean,,,,,, well my level of participation in the birthing of my kids (4) in all, really wasn't all that much work. LOL!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
BTW, Thanks Sparky! Now I have to find a clutch with a 1-3/8 x 10 spline that will handle 1700lbs of torque and fit in that can.
I guess I'll call Ram tomorrow unless anybody has a better idea.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2011, 11:15:13 PM »
I would look at a slider clutch  you can make them handle "anything"

Offline Freud

« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2011, 12:48:20 AM »
Good job Rob.

Nice to hear about you.

FREUD
Since '63