Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 598913 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2011, 12:45:26 AM »
Rob,  We used those weld in fitting we reworked the Lakester by installing removable top bars over the eng bay---make sure the car is up to WEIGHT before you weld them and they may still need to be spread or compressed before you can get them to go.  we cut and rewelded them so that when we stepped on the frame we could get them to align..  all and all LOVED how it stiffened the car..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2011, 12:50:14 AM »
Damn nice fittings, bookmarked the link. That CAD work is sexy as well!~

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
Not sure just why, but upon viewing the above renderings I have a serious desire to go out and buy some Sreaming Yellow Zonkers and toss my Old Spice in the trash and pick up some English Leather????

???

Can I get a translation?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2011, 09:33:40 AM »
Rob I am not an engineer but those upper tubes seem to need a couple of K s in them to me.. :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
I think  :-o he said it gives him a WOODY  :-o

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »
IB understands.....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2011, 04:38:49 PM »
 :-o I guess that just goes to prove there is very few things that are new under the sun  :cheers:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »
Wondering how ya'll figure out the distance between body and rear wheel location and width of the rear envelope. Surface area on the "wing" is what I'm leaning towards but not sure. Is their a major change if they were to be pulled in say a foot or so? Lookin good, glad to see you landed a small sponsor also, :cheers:
Dan
I think we are about 23 sq ft on the wing area. 3 degee angle of attack. Again, NACA 66-018 on the rear wing also. The wing will also be in ground effect and should double its effectiveness. We hope to average 3000 lbs of downforce from 175 -400 using the flap.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2011, 09:18:30 PM »
IB understands.....

And before that:

You guys puttin' an American Motors V8 in it???  Maybe Rich would loan you his Packard :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »
You guys are right. There is nothin new under the sun. Our car is just a refinement of what has already been built.
My father in law is 76 and he's says the only real new thing is the electronic solenoid style injection.
Double overhead valves, planetary transmissions, hemi style chambers. These thing go back to at least the twenty's.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »
Rob I am not an engineer but those upper tubes seem to need a couple of K s in them to me.. :-D

Yes, that part is not done yet.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »
Rob,  We used those weld in fitting we reworked the Lakester by installing removable top bars over the eng bay---make sure the car is up to WEIGHT before you weld them and they may still need to be spread or compressed before you can get them to go.  we cut and rewelded them so that when we stepped on the frame we could get them to align..  all and all LOVED how it stiffened the car..

Yes, we planned on doing the same thing. Great minds think alike? LOL.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
Not sure just why, but upon viewing the above renderings I have a serious desire to go out and buy some Sreaming Yellow Zonkers and toss my Old Spice in the trash and pick up some English Leather????

I was aware of the english leather sponsorship but the screamin yellow zonker sponsorship was news to me.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »
Rob,
Your Solid Works renderings are sure beautiful and inspiring. Certainly different than my H lead scratchings on some velum that I am doing for my lakester, but we are using pretty much the same shape, NACA 66018 and you have done a couple of things that will probably generate some eraser "swarf" on my drawing tomorrow. What is your design diameter for the main body? looks around 30 inches which would make the length around 166 inches. Keep posting as your car is certainly going to be something to see.

Rex
Rex,
I'm flattered. To explain a little more about the fuselage shape, the shape is a loft made from 8 splines. The splines are different on the top vs bottom vs sides to generate the shape that you see here. They are all different percentages of thickness compared to length (with the length all being the same). The thinner bottom splines let us put a little rake into the shape and keep the nose lower. If they just made a taller rear tire, it would help a lot of design problems.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »
GOODYEAR may have a 32" coming