Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 597914 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »
Doesn't Sparky have a radiator inside of a large tank on his lakester, seems it was discussed on this site a while back.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

saltfever

« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
the three way style assures water circulation through the complete engine and reduces hot spots. Just a thought.

Rex, Can you give us more info on this three way thermostat.
Rex, many thanks for the information. I just ordered a couple of them. Sure appreciate all the value you add to this forum. :-)

Rob: Had a bit of trouble with their web site. You can drill down to the year but not the model Rex suggested. A phone call cleared up the problem. The sales desk says it is a 3-way used in 4 cylinder blocks for US models in 2002. Since its a 4 cylinder I'm sure the diameters are rather small and as Rex suggested, two each might be wise.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »
Engines with conventional thermostats have a 2 loop circuit . A small hole back to the pump inlet so warm water circulates to open the thermostat and the main circuit to the radiator . The lost cooling from 10%? bypassing the radiator doesn't hurt if the pump is big enough .
John

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »
Doesn't Sparky have a radiator inside of a large tank on his lakester, seems it was discussed on this site a while back.

Yes, I believe that is the way Sparky did his. We did the same with the Lindberg lakester. It seemed to work really well but I'm not sure if water qty was sufficient as the driver never got the car past 60% throttle. Sure didn't seem to take long to get that water plenty hot. Never got any data on it though as we were having data logging problems and without data, well you know what Mr. LeFever says.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:20 AM »

yes, there is no foreseeable end to his cunningness.......I believe he does it so the bulk of the coolant is not pressurized
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:31 AM »
Not to take this subject too far off topic, yes Sparky runs a radiator in a box. So do I, and yes it's so I can keep the engine cooling system pressurised. We run a small amount of water in the box at El Mirage & more at Bonneville. Even less water when it's real cold at El Mirage. We also have a small electric pump to circulate the water in the box if needed like at Bonneville. And if you look close in the open box picture you can see a small .375 i.d. tube with holes in it to spray water on the radiator if needed too.

Here are a couple pictures....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
Mike,
Its not off subject at all. Thanks for the post.
Couple of questions.
What is the most water you have run on this car? Was it icewater or just ambient? Same question about the Firebird again, how much water?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Bville701

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
Rob,

We run water (for now) on this car. For El Mirage we fill it about half way, and for Bonneville we fill it more. On all the turbo cars he has done he has run ice water intercooler. The firebirds was quite a bit bigger than the one that we have in the modified roadster. (again, I don't remember how many gallons) Hopefully my Dad will chime in here with the number of gallons. I hope this helps a little until then.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
Does anybody make a joint like this for 1-5/8 tubing? We need to take off the top part of our chassis over the engine and turbos to be able to remove and service them.

I will make them if I have to but do not want to reinvent the wheel.
This joint features a 5/8 screw in double shear. I was going to make a batch on the cnc mill if nobody else makes them.
If by chance nobody makes them and I have have to run a batch off does anybody else need a few joint / couplers? Hate to set up to make just four sets. I also have to make some 1-1/4 size joints with 1/2 screws in double shear. If anybody else wants them, I promise I won't mark them up at all, just whatever my cost is.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline JoshH

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
Josh,
Thanks a million! That is exactly what I'm looking for!
I will call them immediately.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
Sorry I have not posted any pics for a while. Many parts have been in a state of flux and just now are we starting to lock in the design of some parts. Converting over to solidworks has really slowed thing up but at least it doesn't crash and go corrupt.

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:12 PM »
Not sure just why, but upon viewing the above renderings I have a serious desire to go out and buy some Sreaming Yellow Zonkers and toss my Old Spice in the trash and pick up some English Leather????
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
Rob,
Your Solid Works renderings are sure beautiful and inspiring. Certainly different than my H lead scratchings on some velum that I am doing for my lakester, but we are using pretty much the same shape, NACA 66018 and you have done a couple of things that will probably generate some eraser "swarf" on my drawing tomorrow. What is your design diameter for the main body? looks around 30 inches which would make the length around 166 inches. Keep posting as your car is certainly going to be something to see.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline basher13

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
Wondering how ya'll figure out the distance between body and rear wheel location and width of the rear envelope. Surface area on the "wing" is what I'm leaning towards but not sure. Is their a major change if they were to be pulled in say a foot or so? Lookin good, glad to see you landed a small sponsor also, :cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker