Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596509 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2010, 10:21:22 PM »
   Blue, your car is different then the current crop of 400 mph contenders but I seem to recall that Craig Breedlove Built a similar car that was going to run an AMC engine. I don't think the front wheels were in line but just inches apart. They definitely had the aero cover over the tires which were outside the body with the wing over the axle. I just seem to remember that he had some success and ran over 3 hundred. As I recall this build coinsided with a time when the SCTA banned jet cars from Bonneville.  Do I have that right, does anyone else remember this car? I think it was AMC red white and BLUE. lol Tom Burkland told me that after the car gets up in that 250 mph area (referring to my car Saltosaurus) the shape of the car over comes course conditions and slight wind and it goes straight with out a lot of weather vane effect. I just don't see your design being less successful then the hugh diversity of high speed designs running currently.

Blue

« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »
Blue,  . . . any comment on my test method?
Very good, even better would be to tie the string on it and swing it around you and work it out to 10 to 15' of line.  This gets it into much straighter air and gets the speed up well above a fan.  I spent hours doing this with model rockets when I was kid.  No BS, I admire anyone who tests.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2010, 03:35:50 AM »

Saltfever , the CP of the model of my streamliner is 38% from the nose .

Offline bbarn

« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »
  Blue, your car is different then the current crop of 400 mph contenders but I seem to recall that Craig Breedlove Built a similar car that was going to run an AMC engine. I don't think the front wheels were in line but just inches apart. They definitely had the aero cover over the tires which were outside the body with the wing over the axle. I just seem to remember that he had some success and ran over 3 hundred. As I recall this build coinsided with a time when the SCTA banned jet cars from Bonneville.  Do I have that right, does anyone else remember this car? I think it was AMC red white and BLUE. lol Tom Burkland told me that after the car gets up in that 250 mph area (referring to my car Saltosaurus) the shape of the car over comes course conditions and slight wind and it goes straight with out a lot of weather vane effect. I just don't see your design being less successful then the hugh diversity of high speed designs running currently.

George, it was called the SOA Rocket Dragster, you remember it correctly. It never ran with the AMC engine because a Craig's shop was flooded and the engines were ruined. when AMC said they wouldn't replace the engines, he dropped in a solid rocket motor and ran it up well over 300 on a few seconds of burn time.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Blue

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
Rex,
1. It's 60% of length where there is nothing to trip the boundary layer.  The front wheel assembly and canopy joints do this and create wakes that are no longer laminar, so the overall area of the fuselage under laminar effect is 40 to 45%.  This compares to 2 to 7% for most straight-sided and flat-bottom liners.

2. Yes.

3. The P-38 tail buffet and Mach-tuck issues were separate and involved many fixes combined.  For reference, read Kelly Johnson's autobiography: "More Than My Share of it ALL"

4. Done.  I respect honest criticism, look at how we responded to the roll cage comments (well, don't look yet; we still have to post our revisions for more comment!).  People who like or don't like what we are doing honestly taking the time to analyze a concern and make an intelligent and reasoned recommendation are always appreciated.

Blue

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
Just one clarification:  While I have had significant input on the aerodynamics and configuration of this design, the driving forces are Rob Freyvogle and Brandon Barn.  It has turned out so well that I want one of my own.

Craig's third SOA (the first was the 525 mph jet car that went in the water, the second was Sonic 1 that went 600) was indeed a WD-LSR vehicle that was designed to capture a series of records at different displacements using AMC engines.  Brandon's right, the shop flooded and the car was retrofitted with a storable liquid, bi-propellant rocket motor surplussed from the Apollo Lunar Module lower stage (Nitrogen tetroxide and Di-methyl Hydrazine).  It scared the heck out of Craig, but it was quite effective and Craig still holds the 1/4 mile trap speed record with it at 374 mph.

It was dead-nuts-stable.

It did have a single front wheel, which made it a trike for rules purposes and it would have had to have a forth wheel added to comply with current SCTA, BNI, or FIA rules.  It would qualify as a trike under current FIM rules.  It also had an open cockpit, which must have been REALLY something at nearly 400 mph!

The NACA 66 Special (we're working on a name...) has a more conventional tandem front wheel setup like Speed Demon, Costella, and many others.  Rob has studied those well-proven designs and is designing the front suspension with review of other suspension experts.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
Btw Eric, I appreciate you fielding all these questions. It's working out quite well. It lets me continue to focus on the details.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2010, 01:35:45 AM »
Latest renderings.
I will probably scooch the driver and canopy forward about a foot and add one water tank for engine coolant behind the driver. The intercooler water may fit under the drivers legs.

Should have plenty of room in the cockpit for the cup holder and navigation system.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2010, 08:51:48 AM »
Don't forget the Bluetooth and ipod :)

Looking forward to seeing this one built, new ideas and directions are what part of this addiction is all about, the other being, leave a roadster a roadster.

Offline jdeleon

• DELEON AUTO ACCESSORIES
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2010, 09:10:03 AM »
Nice CAD work Rob.  Looks real nice.   Still using Cobalt?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
Rob,
That is beautiful!!! Now you have the package you will have to get all of the "stuff" to fit without screwing up the shape.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »

No. switched to solidworks. It's been very painful.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jdeleon

• DELEON AUTO ACCESSORIES
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »

No. switched to solidworks. It's been very painful.

I'm sure, after being spoiled with Cobalt.  Looks great!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »
Thanks! Solidworks does such a better job with assemblies. That is where the real benefit seems to be. Also their forum is really great.
With Cobalt, the solid is easier to generate (my opinion). Maybe I will say differently in a few year.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
Tech question. Right now I am planning to build the water tank to hold 48 gallons icewater for the engine coolant. The engine that we will be eventually running will make about 2600hp on gasoline. Is this going to be enough? Would like water temps to no more than 200f at the end of the run. I'm imagining that we will only be averaging 1700hp through the course of the 5 mile run. We will start off with icewater (90% ice or whatever we can get). Water will recirculate in the block and heads until it hits 150f then off to the marine heat exchangers in the tank.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com