Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 598229 times)

Offline joea

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »
note to self...never say never, or no way...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
Far from this being some wild hair I pulled out of my a--, the configuration is based on actual, record setting, stable jet and wheel driven cars.  We just moved the rear wheels out further than Al had them and moved the wing onto the rear axle.

minimal wetted area,

pretty hilarious..... I'm supprised your research hasn't turned up thousands of lawsuites in regards to "tricycle" designed vehicle instability...... ever heard of the "screaming yellow zonker"? this looks lots like it.... howd dat one work out?...... maybe I'm simple but how does 2 huge wings and 2 huge wheel coverings add up to minimal wetted area?..... roll the crash trucks....
Kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
Kent all this time I thought a screaming yellow zonker was pop corn now you say it's a 3 wheel motorcycle that don't handle. BTW missed seeing you at the WF's :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »
So Kent, why you do you think this design would not be as stable as, Al's,  Specter's, Higginbotham's? they are all tricycles?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Online racergeo

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »
  Good on ya Eric for getting involved hands on in this project. That way when it all shakes out you can be just like the rest of us and say "see I told ya so" or " back to the drawing board". Either way you'll get a lot of respect from most of us.

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
The Harley Servicar was a trike too.  We were warned to be really careful when we made turns with them since they flipped over with distressing frequency.  Good thing the project is intended to go straight.  By the way, the P38 originally did not have fillets at the wing/fuselage juncture but they were added later on for (I suppose) stability reasons.  The spoilers added below the wing leading edge between the fuselage and the engines were to reduce compressibility problems when the P38 got close to supersonic in a dive.  This is not advice.

Anyways, I wish the project success and I can't wait to see how the theoretical stuff works out.  Even though empirical knowledge works most of the time.  For example, Honeywell (formerly Garrett Corp, sort of) made turbochargers in WW II.  An old timer from there told me that their design method was to run them until they broke and then make the broken part stronger.  After a few years they were almost indestructible.  Now they use computers, finite element analysis, PhDs in stress analysis and fluid flow and other tools and make them right almost from the start; leaving out most of the trial and error.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

saltfever

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2010, 05:14:15 AM »
1. There are two tails.  In the side view we only see one.  For a back-of-the-napkin Cp, stack the second tail on top of the first one and then look at it.
Be careful in your assumptions of the second wheel cover. CP is aerodynamic pressure. If your car yaws, one of the wheel covers is in the shadow of the other. It is highly probable that turbulence tumbling over and around one cover and the wing, will significantly reduce the aerodynamics of the other cover. The area of the second cover you are summing for a CP probably should be significantly reduced or, conservatively, maybe not be counted.

Blue, as I mentioned in another thread, I’m trying to understand your understanding of the CP.  I have always used this simple method (see second paragraph)  to determine CP. http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/rktcp.html  

Please note it uses the projected (i.e., the flat plate) area of the part.  However, from your posting above you consider the part’s shape to arrive at a modified area. For example, while I would consider the full area (as seen from the side) of the body you decrease “effective” area due to the rounded shape. Since we are concerned with dynamic pressure that makes sense. But do you see anything inherently unsafe with using projected area? All it would do is move the CG and CP farther apart, no?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:16:20 AM by saltfever »

Offline John Burk

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2010, 06:13:22 AM »
Saltfever , the average area method of finding the CP is true if the car is going sideways and the whole body has the same roundness . At a slight yaw the CP is much farther forward . By test , the CP of a scale model of my streamliner is at 38% . By the average area method it would be at about 66% .
John

Blue

« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
1. There are two tails.  In the side view we only see one.  For a back-of-the-napkin Cp, stack the second tail on top of the first one and then look at it.
Be careful in your assumptions of the second wheel cover. CP is aerodynamic pressure. If your car yaws, one of the wheel covers is in the shadow of the other. It is highly probable that turbulence tumbling over and around one cover and the wing, will significantly reduce the aerodynamics of the other cover. The area of the second cover you are summing for a CP probably should be significantly reduced or, conservatively, maybe not be counted.
Well, let's take a look at that: It would take 20 degrees or more of spin before the nose even comes into line with the "shadowed" tail and about 60 degrees before the the nose of the leading tail comes into line with the trailing edge of the "shadowed" tail.  If it's gone around half of that I'll take John's advice and pull the chute!

Teague reported to his crew that he could only get a few degrees (single digits) out of line at high speed because of the stabilizing effect of the rear wheel fairings.  If Kent wants to ignore Al's 30+ years of experience and success, who am I to argue?

Blue, as I mentioned in another thread, I’m trying to understand your understanding of the CP.  I have always used this simple method (see second paragraph)  to determine CP. http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/rktcp.html  

Please note it uses the projected (i.e., the flat plate) area of the part.  However, from your posting above you consider the part’s shape to arrive at a modified area. For example, while I would consider the full area (as seen from the side) of the body you decrease “effective” area due to the rounded shape. Since we are concerned with dynamic pressure that makes sense. But do you see anything inherently unsafe with using projected area? All it would do is move the CG and CP farther apart, no?
Yes, projected area is a radical over-simplification;  especially for round bodies.  Go to the next page where they start to talk about how stability analysis is done.  At the bottom of the page is this:

<<When computing the stability of a rocket, we usually apply the aerodynamic forces at the aerodynamic center of airfoils and compute the center of pressure of the vehicle as an area-weighted average of the centers of the components. >>

Each component has to be analyzed separately for its individual contribution to stability.  Why?  The area of a fin creates a lift slope vs. angle of attack based on its shape, especially its aspect ratio (reference span squared divided by reference area).  A tall fin (like Speed Demon) is 3 to 5 times as effective as the same area of a "blade" tail (like Nebulous).  Multiply the lift-slope derivative by the length from CG (tail moment arm) and that is the stability contribution of that component.

Bodies (like most LSR, including this design) are more complicated and we usually chop them up into sections and calculate the effective lift-slope for each section, multiply that section by its area, then add all of this up.  Pile it up on a spreadsheet and float the CG around until the sum of all of the lift slopes is zero and that's the yaw-neutral point, or, "Cp".  This is called "second order" analysis, doesn't require any calculus, and is over 95% accurate for low to moderate yaw angles.  Farther than that and we're pulling a chute anyway.

Sharp edges on the top or bottom of a body or fin increase the lift-slope, round edge decrease it.  So the round top on Costella's designs improves the stability of the body forward of the CG and hurts it aft.  Conversely, the sharp lower edge forward hurts the stability while it helps the tail.  Jack has enough "effective" tail aft far enough in his designs to be stable.  I'd like to see less sharp edges forward, we disagree, I still respect him.

For CAD simplicity, Rob has rounded the tip and bottom of the fins in the published figures.  When I fab them, I'll be putting a specific shape on the top and bottom that has been proven in air racing to be much more effective than any other tip design to date.  Far from taking credit for the 747, I actually adapted Boeing raked wingtip design rules to straight wing airplanes and we went faster.  We modified 7 L-29's over the last two years and they go far faster on less power than our competition.  Right now, I have modified 4 aircraft to go from the 300 mph class to the 400 and 3 more to go from the 400 to the 500 mph class.  3 of these unfortunately don't race, they are used as military targets in cruise missile and counter-air intercept simulation.  Like LSR, it's the kind of thing that's only impressive to the people inside the field.

Next mod gets tested Monday, looking for another 30 mph on a 500 mph airplane.  I'm 13 for 13 so far with 17 separate mods, making ever aircraft I touch faster with every mod I've made.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:19:03 PM by Blue »

Blue

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2010, 08:21:33 PM »
So Kent, why you do you think this design would not be as stable as, Al's,  Specter's, Higginbotham's? they are all tricycles?
A good question.  ...........

If I want to build this and drive it, it's my life, not yours.  .................
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:19:12 PM by Blue »

Blue

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2010, 08:25:30 PM »
 Good on ya Eric for getting involved hands on in this project. That way when it all shakes out you can be just like the rest of us and say "see I told ya so" or " back to the drawing board". Either way you'll get a lot of respect from most of us.
That is about the best thing anyone has said to me.  Yep, it's my butt and it will be in the driver's seat of my car; serial number 2 of the design.  I'm clearing the space in my shop now and I'm building the table for the body molds.  If it doesn't work, at least I will have tried something different.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:00:19 PM by Blue »

saltfever

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
Saltfever , the average area method of finding the CP is true if the car is going sideways and the whole body has the same roundness . At a slight yaw the CP is much farther forward . By test , the CP of a scale model of my streamliner is at 38% . By the average area method it would be at about 66% .
John
Thanks, John. That is a big difference. When you use those percentages where is your datum . . . front or back. Is the CP 38% from the front or the back?

I usually scale a silloutte of the vehicle. Then suspend it on a string and then blow on it with a fan. I move the string (pivot point) backward or forward until the model is stationary and will no longer turn one way or the other. I then establish that as the CP. It has worked quite well but I am always open to improvement or new ideas. John, what is your test method?

Blue,  . . . any comment on my test method?

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
Eric,
A couple of questions regarding some of your statements:"40% of the body and 60% of the tails and wing are in laminar flow" Not knowing the complete dimensions of the car I am interested in what the Reynolds number is that you calculated at the transition from laminar to turbulent on the car body? I know that the 66018 section was specifically designed for long runs of laminar flow but at 400+ mph I didn't think it would be as far as 40% of the body length. If it is 40% please "dilute our ignorance" as to why? Is it a product of the 66018 shape?

Next I am wondering about the intersection of the wings to the body and also the wheel covers. Using my favorite reference, "The Leading Edge" by Goro Tamai, his research shows that a fillet along the intersection of a wing and body is actually a generator of drag inducing vortexs and the real important area is at the front and rear intersection points where a properly designed fillet can provides large benefits. Is this the area that you are planning to address related to the wing/body intersection?  

Tomsmith mentioned the modification of the wing joint on the P38, I have a very old blue print of the P38 (before it was even called the P38, it is called "Lockheed Interceptor" on this drawing) and it did not have any fillet between the wing at either of the fuselages or the pilot's nacel  and as I understand the first prototypes had extreme instability over the rear horizontal stabilizer from the vortex s being generated by the wing to body junctions. Added some fillets at the front and rear of the intersections and all was good.

Just one more thing, Eric you have been exceptionally reserve regarding the many negative comments from Kent, which I really admire as I am sure that you are very competent and certainly have a lot of pride in the projects that you have done, please don't drop to Kent's level of negative comments regarding your competence. This is a great thread regarding some new thinking in land speed car design it doesn't need to degenerate into a pi$$ing contest.

Keep up the replies I learn something new with every one.

Rex    
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

saltfever

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »
Yes, projected area is a radical over-simplification;  . . . .When computing the stability of a rocket, we usually apply the aerodynamic forces at the aerodynamic center of airfoils and compute the center of pressure of the vehicle as an area-weighted average of the centers of the components. >>

Each component has to be analyzed separately for its individual contribution to stability.  Why?  The area of a fin creates a lift slope vs. angle of attack based on its shape, especially its aspect ratio (reference span squared divided by reference area). 

Bodies (like most LSR, including this design) are more complicated and we usually chop them up into sections and calculate the effective lift-slope for each section, multiply that section by its area, then add all of this up.  Pile it up on a spreadsheet and float the CG around until the sum of all of the lift slopes is zero and that's the yaw-neutral point, or, "Cp".  This is called "second order" analysis, doesn't require any calculus, and is over 95% accurate for low to moderate yaw angles.  Farther than that and we're pulling a chute anyway.

Eric thanks for getting back so quickly. I am leaving for a few days and will work out some scenarios when I get back. I have a few more questions but think they should be public rather than PM. The educational aspect of the forum is too important to bury it in PM. 

saltfever

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »
Yeah, what Rex said 2x.