Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596399 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #975 on: November 30, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
Thanks, so the back doors are two, with each half opening to the side?  The front door is single hinged at the front?  Chutes spring launched?

We went with a spring launch at about 45 deg. from Stroud on Hooley's Stude this year and like it, but the chute seemed to stay high, but we have no pictures to confirm that.  Stroud lengthened the tether and we will try and get a rear camera when we go back.  Launching like that definitely got the chute right up in the air.  It looks like you might be doing about the same.

Have you considered a third chute to use if you run the international course at Cook's meet?  At the speeds you will be running I think I'd like a third as insurance when running towards the interstate.

I'd for sure be interested in video when you get a chance and I'm sure others would also.  I can't remember now if you deployed the chutes when you ran the mile.  The snow you have was probably some left over from some that was here about 5 days ago.  Gone for now but I'm sure we will see more before we are out of here.

....I studied your design for a bit . Why would you want to change what you have. It looks pretty good to me. Are you contend about the drogue chutes clearing the doors?

I guess I'm worry about a malfunction of the chute doors and what that might do to the car at speed.  If one side or the other did something other than open correctly it could steer the car off in one direction or the other.  It would also be embarrassing to have them torn off by the air stream  :cry:  I'm like you and was trying not to leave anything on the table as far as aero.  I have two tubes but will start with only one chute.  I'll probably keep the doors and bolt them shut for now and stick the tube out the doors in a more conventional configuration.  I did try and keep the doors neutral in the air stream when open.  In fact as they open the leading edge opens first so that the air going in helps to open the doors until they are both parallel with the air stream and centerline of the car.

Stroud doesn't care for doors and the chute tubes that far in the body so recommended that I also put in smaller tubes with a smaller chute that would be blown out way past the back of the car and pull the main chute out.  I'd go that route if I try and run the doors.

Also since I'm switching to a car motor I'm going to have to remove the rear axle/suspension I have now and put in a new solid mounted axle back about 3 feet on the car and might need the room where the chute tubes are now so that I don't have to lengthen the car.

If we were around here in Jan. I'd try and go to the Roadster show to see your car but I guess I'll have to wait until August  :cry:

Thanks for all the pictures and the new ones you posted above,

Sum

Offline Freud

« Reply #976 on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »
The tube doors on the Target 550 'liner were replaced by cloth type covers.

I'll post fotos of the new system soon.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #977 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
When we pop the chutes, the drogue chutes pop up about 3' above the body. Both doors are single hinges on the same side. We also guesstimated the angle if the hinge line so the door flys the airstream without trying to pry the door ioff. The trick to this system is to keep the drogue from snagging on the latch on the way out.
We did make extra parachute doors I case we did not gestimate close enough the first time.
I'm feeling pretty good about the chute system after running at the Ohio Mile.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #978 on: December 02, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Sum,
     Here is what we did to satisfy your concerns about steering the car with the chute doors opening asymetrically and Bob Strouds regarding getting reliable deployment in the turbulent air. The tube for the spring loaded pilot and the tube for the chute in its bag are one unit. That unit is mounted on a square tube that slides fore and aft in another square tube mounted to the chassis. It is actuated either by an air cylinder or a cable. Moving the assembly to the rear pushes the doors open, gets the ends of the tube out to the slipstream and at the end of the travel releases the pilot.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #979 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
Sum,
     Here is what we did to satisfy your concerns about steering the car with the chute doors opening asymetrically and Bob Strouds regarding getting reliable deployment in the turbulent air. The tube for the spring loaded pilot and the tube for the chute in its bag are one unit. That unit is mounted on a square tube that slides fore and aft in another square tube mounted to the chassis. It is actuated either by an air cylinder or a cable. Moving the assembly to the rear pushes the doors open, gets the ends of the tube out to the slipstream and at the end of the travel releases the pilot...

That sounds like a great solution to a couple problems.  I might look to see if I can copy that if you don't mind :-).

Thanks for the follow-up and pictures,

Sum

Offline sabat

« Reply #980 on: January 11, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »
Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I saw this image and immediately recognized the Carbinite Streamliner. -Dean

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2014, 11:58:03 PM »
CARBINITE LINER travels.

Rob, Brandon & crew will be at my house with the Liner
Monday Jan 20 and . 

Linda and I will host sort of an open house.  There  will be Burgers and Dogs with pop and beer available from 3 untill 7:00.  They should be here by 3:00 PM.  They will spend the night and leave for LA and the roadster show Tues. am..  Their car will be on display on their trailer and my car will be in my shop.  Please come by to see this stunning car in person and say hello to all of us.

Please send me a note and let me know how many so that I can buy  enough "stuff".  Please feel free to bring all your friends.

Sparky  602-762-2211
sparky.2211@cox.net
3402 E. Libby St
Phoenix
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #982 on: January 14, 2014, 01:28:10 AM »
Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I saw this image and immediately recognized the Carbinite Streamliner. -Dean

Like my father in law always said, " when it comes to automotive stuff, There is nothing new under the sun".  :-)
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #983 on: January 18, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Rob & Brandon will be heading WEST  so  :cheers:  here is to a dry and safe trip out!  It now looks like there could be around 3 doz. folks drop by on Monday afternoon to welcome them to the Valley of the SUN.  For you other folks I have 2 neighbors that have not run their heating systems this year.. :roll:
My wife has changed the menu slightly by adding additional items to the menu  :-)   we are also having SLOPPY JOES  served from 4:00 to 7:00

602-762-2211
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #984 on: January 18, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »
Wow! So very cool! Sparky, Thank you so much for hosting!
We will be leaving about 10am this morning. Plan on heading through Nashville to stay in best weather.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline krusty

« Reply #985 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:30 AM »

Looking forward to seeing the liner @GNRS. I'll be there with the 534 roadster Hoodlums. Have a safe trip - I40 can get black ice-y this time of year.    vic

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #986 on: January 18, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »
Wish I didn't have to work.   :-(  I'd love to be there!  Take care guys!   :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #987 on: January 18, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »
sorry to hear that I was hoping for some visitors from down south

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #988 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the liner @GNRS. I'll be there with the 534 roadster Hoodlums. Have a safe trip - I40 can get black ice-y this time of year.    vic

Vic,
hanks for the black ice warning. Lookin forward to seeing you and your Hot Rod again.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #989 on: January 18, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
Just received a text--They are on I-40 in Tenn. headed West--on schedule truck and trailer are working fine!!  Linda is already cooking so we hope to host lots of LSR fans.  Good time to be had by all Monday evening at 3402 E. Libby St Phoenix.  602-762-2211