Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596478 times)

Offline JimL

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #735 on: June 30, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
My best luck removing carbon scale is with the acid based metal cleaners, before I make parts out of the steel.  A throwaway brush and some time with gentle brushing and the carbon comes off and flows away.  Wash off with water, and then do the Phosphoric conversion after it develops a fresh layer of surface rust.  Do NOT sand off the layer of rust that forms after removing the carbon... that is the layer that serves the conversion process.

Once its painted, its really discouraging to try to solve your situation.  The good news is that its a new car, and we all tear down the new car after the first year and redo everything under the sun.  Worst mistake Dan and I made when we first built the roadster, was using too much paint.  We sure did redo a lot of that car the first couple years, as we learned what it needed.  The only caveat, you must be prepared to do the complete teardown right away when you get home.  Putting things off a few months only leads to more work.

You are doing great, and we sure are looking forward to seeing your project.
JimL

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #736 on: July 08, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »
Jim, I agree. Keep chassis paint to a minimum especially on special construction vehicles that can be completely disassembled.
This silver POR 15 is turning green! No kidding, it's green! I do not like it.
When we get back from Bville, I will make any changes that we have to, (Hoping there won't be too many) then send chassis out for sandblasting and metal etching primer. Will then paint with rustoleum or other cheap paint that can be easily touched up. This will never ever be a show piece. It is a race car and will be treated as such. Besides, me and nice paint don't get along.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: July 09, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »
AHHHH a fellow street racer at heart---no show--- lets just GO!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob go get'em!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #738 on: July 13, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
Still working on wheel pants and canopy but much of the rest of the car is in final assembly.  :-)
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #739 on: July 13, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
I ordered a 30ft triaxle deck over trailer a few weeks ago. It is coming along beautifully. Greg from Viking trailer and his friend Garth stopped by the shop today to see our progress.
Yes, I'm hauling this thing on an open trailer. Too wide to fit in conventional box plus we need a way to go get the car and deliver it to starting line.
We are also building a swinging crane that will mount to the trailer and pick the car up. Crane is designed, now just needs built. Mark Evarts of Freedom Iron Works (Pittsburgh, PA) offered to build the crane for us. Hopefully he can start on that this week. I need to get him the drawings ASAP.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline JimL

« Reply #740 on: July 13, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
Rob, I use a crane for my bike by swinging it out to the side.  I have a big, strong vertical "bumper bar" on the back of my trailer.  It plugs into a standard receiver hitch.  On the top end of the bar is a horizontal bar with padding on the end.  When I load or unload, the "bumper bar" unplugs from the trailer, turns sideways to put the pad on the ground and plugs back in.  The ground contact is outside the CG of the bike when it is swung out on the crane.

Thats what keeps my trailer from flipping over with the weight cantilevered to the side.

Regards, JimL

P.S.  I do NOT use tie downs or straps as primary tie down.  I use a pair of strong bolt tabs, sticking out the bottom of the bikes.  There are a pair of tabs sticking up from the trailer.  I use shouldered bolts, ground to a taper, to bolt to the trailer.  The bolts have a long taper and I use a bushing and washer to take up the taper as the bolt shoulder size fills into the tab holes.  Two is enough and nobody has to deal with salty tie downs, loose strap ends, or the vehicle moving after its loaded.  You can stick a pony bar into the tabs as you lower into place, to get the alignment close enough to work with the taper bolts.

The biggest advantage is that this method has completely ended years of crew injuries during loading.  The tabs can be any place its easy to access.  They do not need to be under the CG.  We have a few extra bolts ready, in case we bung one up and have to knock it out by hitting the small thread end.  This has been very reliable and sooo easy!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:05:25 PM by JimL »

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #741 on: July 13, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
Open trailering RULES!!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #742 on: July 14, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #743 on: July 14, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
Open trailering RULES!!

Eye candy for the folks on the road.  Here's ours with security system.  :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline jl222

« Reply #744 on: July 14, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
Open trailering RULES!!

Eye candy for the folks on the road.  Here's ours with security system.  :-D

We had a trailer like that for several years but after a bitchen paint job and towing through Nevada after they had just gravelled the hiway, the front end got chipped up pretty bad :cry:

We build a wooden front about 3 ft high after that.

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #745 on: July 17, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »
Got the front rollers in today!
They look awesome and fit perfectly!
Terry Mourer of Mourer Machine did an absolutely stunning job.

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline gray63

« Reply #746 on: July 17, 2013, 03:38:08 PM »
Wow!

Rob,  Those wheels are gorgeous. In fact the whole darn car
is awesome.
I am looking forward to seeing you in Bonneville.

Dave Gray
# 3611
56 Corvette

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #747 on: July 17, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
WAY to go PODUNK !!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2013, 07:35:11 AM »
WOW! Those are fantastic! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline DND

« Reply #749 on: July 28, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
Hey Rob

What's happening with your racer, no posts for awhile?

G Don