Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 599102 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #720 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
Rob, either make a couple of canopy's or make the screen removable/replaceable.
Shit happens you know... :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #721 on: June 23, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »
Thank stainless!
We will make a couple of wind screens.
It is easy enough now that the mold is done.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline roygoodwin

« Reply #722 on: June 23, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »
"Speaking of the windscreen, does it require mechanical fasteners to secure it into place or can we bond it directly to the canopy?"  IF you bond it, make sure that you've tested the bonding agent, the preparation process AND the application process.  Some of the protective film/masking used on some of the clear plastics can leave just enough residue to preclude  good bonding (at least back in the day when I learned that the hard way).  I used a clear silicone, the kind used to put aquariums together, on some acrylic.  It ended up making a real good gasket after I put screws in.  YMMV

Roy

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #723 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:48 AM »
We had to start covering the windscreen after we salt blasted it both making pass' with the open front wheels and on the tow back to the pits. After much work they polished out. We saved material to make an extra.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #724 on: June 25, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
Attach with flush head screws and lock nuts, cover when towing on the ground, we tow the liners on the trailers.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #725 on: June 29, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Eric wants us to use the thin aircraft fender washers and over c'sink the polycarbonate so that the taper of the washer does not touch the plastic and cause it to split. According to Eric, aircraft will sometimes have a strip of metal that is used in place of the washers and that strip of metal stays with the windshield through the life of the windshield.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #726 on: June 29, 2013, 09:48:48 AM »
Today, we are finishing welding about the cockpit area, then we can paint the chassis.
I think we are going to convert over to rustoleum as I really hate working with the POR 15.
When the car is done for the year, we will make any changes to the chassis that feel necessary, strip the car down, send the frame out to be blasted, primed and sprayed. At this time, we have to choose our battles or we will not get done in time.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: June 29, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
comes in "Rattle Cans" too--- I learned the hard way to use the ugly brown as it doesn't "float around" ---ie overspray near as much
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JimL

« Reply #728 on: June 29, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
Rob, I have had good luck with Rustoleum "Hammerite" type paint.  The main reason I have stayed with it is not because of superior rust proofing (none of the spray can stuff is), but because these projects always get torn down, modified, repaired, derusted, etc.  This paint removes pretty easily with plain old lacquer thinner, even after a few years.  It has ground glass in it, which seems to let the thinner cut through easier.  I do NOT put primer under it, and you can respray areas you might rework without having it look too bad.  Also, you cannot spray lacquer paint over it, it wrinkles.

When the rust comes, and it does, its easier to deal with if you dont have to grind or sand or burn off coatings.  This is really a problem in the deep spots of weld corners, where you have to get all the paint off and use something like OSPHO to convert the thin rust lines that sometimes form.

Its not supposed to work, but the rails on my flatbed sides (1" tubing) get rusty from scuffing and work.  I have been putting the OSPHO right onto the rusty paint areas, keep agitating it to keep it wet, and then flush with the garden hose.  It turns the rust gray in my gray Hammerite paint!  Eventually, after enough treatments over time,  the steel turns that old "purple iron" shade and doesnt rust anymore.

It does tend to melt the glass if you start grinding on it without first using the lacquer thinner or acetone.

Regards, JimL

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #729 on: June 29, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
I definitely agree with Erik's suggestion of using a
metal strip... Our EA-6B replacement windscreens
used that method and had more rigidity than the
OEM stuff.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Jon

« Reply #730 on: June 29, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »
You can't bond  your canopy in with Sikaflex or something similar Rob?

As strong as any screwed fixing without weakening either part or localising stresses to start cracks.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #731 on: June 30, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
If the wind screen is bonded to the canopy it will be hard to replace.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #732 on: June 30, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
Rob, the 'liner is coming along nicely!

Just remember, the Rustoleum offers very little rust protection, while the POR-15 does a pretty good job.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #733 on: June 30, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
I'm getting even more frustrated with the POR 15. Lots of fish eyes even though I prepped everything just like the direction said using their metal prep and everything. Also, it is very thick yet it still runs very easily. Worst of both worlds.
Fish eyes are occurring where there is mill scale on some of the A36 plate that was drilled trough. Looks like the cutting oil permeated the scale and lacquer thinner or wax and grease remover won't pull it out of the scale.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #734 on: June 30, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
POR    paint over rust   :?     run it--- let it rust-- then paint it   :-D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:53:31 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!