Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596504 times)

Offline Tman

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #615 on: March 23, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
Wow, that car is about 2/3rds the size I thought it would be!?

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #616 on: March 24, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
Wow, that car is about 2/3rds the size I thought it would be!?
Well the stinger (tail cone) is still not on and that will add some length to the car.
It will be 28 ft total length. I know this goes against conventional LSR thinking but for the the targeted 500 - 550 mph range, this design would have been better to be shorter and fatter.
We have a fineness ratio of 9:1 on the fuselage. 5:1 would be even lower drag even if displaced a bit more volume. Live and learn. Funny part is that it looks faster the way that it is.
Much of the design is governed by the 30 inch dia rear tires as they are the biggest available. It would be next to impossible to get any rake into the fuselage if the car was any fatter. We would have to go to independent rear end or something to get the rear of the car up any higher than it is.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #617 on: March 24, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
The front suspension looks like it is going to work well. Javier did the most beautiful machine work on the major components. I promise many pics when I get everything back from the finishers.
The suspension has 1.25 of total travel with .5" droop.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #618 on: March 24, 2013, 12:31:07 PM »
Post #1 September 2010
Target of 400mph

Today
the targeted 500 - 550 mph range

Reality
A/BGS          Speed by Spectre    A. Rosenbaum    08/10    356.645
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #619 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
I've learned over the years to always aim high and put some safety factor into your project. :-)
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #620 on: March 24, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
Post #1 September 2010
Target of 400mph

Today
the targeted 500 - 550 mph range

Reality
A/BGS          Speed by Spectre    A. Rosenbaum    08/10    356.645

Gotta love his optimism!

Go Rob go! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #621 on: March 24, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
If I was to build a car to go 1000mph, I would shoot for design speed of about 1300mph as history shows that most LSR cars never quite make design speed.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #622 on: March 25, 2013, 01:14:28 AM »
... fineness ratio of 9:1 on the fuselage. 5:1 would be even lower drag...
:-o For real?

Edit: Oops... dumb question...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:17:59 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #623 on: March 25, 2013, 01:29:41 AM »
Great build, shoot for the stars and if you miss you will land on the moon. Which is still very fast, and I cant wait to see the throttles opened on this rocket.  :cheers: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #624 on: March 30, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
Rob, On your car the turbo inlet down low is not as much a problem for you as it will be for me becaause of my front tires will be kicking up salt any suggestions on how to keep salt out of the turbos?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #625 on: March 30, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »
Sparky, let me thinks about it a bit. That is a challenge  with Lakesters as there is an issue salt splash from the front tires. We had that problem with the Lakester that we built in 09.
We were getting salt splashed into the turbos but I'm not sure that we were getting much while on course. I think most of it came during exiting the course,
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline DND

« Reply #626 on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:07 AM »
Hi Rob

Don't they have draged turn outs that connect to the return road, so you don't have to run over those little crusty ridges that run everywhere?

Don

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #627 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
Yabut, you don't always find one where you need it or at the speed you want and can overrun it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #628 on: March 31, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
Hi Rob

Don't they have draged turn outs that connect to the return road, so you don't have to run over those little crusty ridges that run everywhere?

Don

Don, yes they drag turnouts... some are gentle curves off the course, but still intersect the return road at 90 degrees, probably work great if you are in a roadster or a bike... not so much if you are in a vehicle that can't make a 90 degree turn in 30 ft.... One of these days someone will drag them so they just angle over to the return road... it is not important for the turn out to make the race car turn around and go the other way.  Based on the tracks you see, most can't do it anyway.

Most of us would rather drive through the crusties  with the race car on the trailer.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bbarn

Re: Re: Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #629 on: March 31, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
Hi Rob

Don

Don, yes they drag turnouts... some are gentle curves off the course, but still intersect the return road at 90 degrees, probably work great if you are in a roadster or a bike... not so much if you are in a vehicle that can't make a 90 degree turn in 30 ft.... One of these days someone will drag them so they just angle over to the return road... it is not important for the turn out to make the race car turn around and go the other way.  Based on the tracks you see, most can't do it anyway.

Most of us would rather drive through the crusties  with the race car on the trailer.  :cheers:
You also get salt thrown up during the run off the exposed fronts on the laksters. It was clearly evident on our front axle where the salt had sand blasted a very distinct line. It appeared that salt was thrown forward after a trip around the wheels and the car drove into it. There were other areas around the turbo inlets on the lakster that gave clear indication we had injested some salt as well.

It has been said on here before, but it is interesting where you find that salt after a run. It really does get into some interesting places.

You almost need a reverse intake, maybe on the top of the car, to prevent intake of salt on a lakester.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.