Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 599187 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #495 on: January 01, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
Sounds like time well spent by all. Have a happy and fast new year all. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline basher13

« Reply #496 on: January 03, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
WOW! Super job! Looks Fantastic! Nice work Eric! Thanks for the great write up! How did you...? Why is the...?

Just practicing for when someone(Blue)decides to post the pictures and explanations of the body build process... :-D
Happy New Year!

Now let's see em!

:cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »
Looking good, Rob!

I'm going to be around for a couple of days, at the end of next week. It's been a while since we chatted-you up for some company for a couple of hours?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #498 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
Buddy,
We are definitely looking forward to your visit!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #499 on: January 05, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »
Had good day today. Worked on solidworks for tooling for intake ducts and released the dxfs to the waterjet.
Made a block off plate for the iac motor in the throttle body. Then made (4) out of the (7) dry sump lines.
We hope to be able to fire the engine and test trans and rearend within about two weeks, Lord willing.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #500 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »
Rob, it was great seeing you again! The car is more impressive in person than on this build thread!

I can't wait to see it on the salt!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Freud

« Reply #501 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
The compliments that you receive on the build are impressive.

The speed with which you have done it is  A M A Z I N G.

Good Job.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #502 on: January 20, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
The compliments that you receive on the build are impressive.

The speed with which you have done it is  A M A Z I N G.

Good Job.

FREUD
It doesn't feel like its going very fast for me. I'm depressed about our progress. Work has picked up and is really cutting into our liner progress but Praise the Lord, we have work! Could be the other way around. Everybody that has done this before knows that the little details will kill us if we don't stay diligent through the next couple months.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #503 on: January 20, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »
Btw, thanks for all the compliments from everybody.
It has been a real blessing that so many guys from the board have actually come by the shop for a visit.

Other news-
The SCTA tech committee approved our 21" dia solid front tire design with the only stipulation that we come up with an acceptable program to inspect wheels between runs and events. This is a big hurdle. I will be releasing the drawings to a suitable machine shop this week. Raw material will be over $500 a piece. Ouch.
This week we finished plumbing the oil system, removed all tanks and cleaned them inside and out, made a new lower profile vent system for the fuel tank, finished plumbing the intercooler including mounting and wiring waterpumps, and got the wiring to about the 75% point. Javier has the machine work about 95% done with the front suspension pieces.
Tomorrow I plan to finish the exhaust and test the oil system / set the pressure with bypass valve.
Hope to fire engine on Tuesday, Lord willing.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: January 20, 2013, 11:27:37 PM »
you guys are on a roll  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DND

« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2013, 12:17:48 AM »
Hi Rob

How are your body panels coming along, looking forward to seeing them mounted in place

Don

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »
I will put a post together soon with pics showing body progress and how we did it.
Small milestone today. We have a working oil system!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Texican

« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
[

The SCTA tech committee approved our 21" dia solid front tire design with the only stipulation that we come up with an acceptable program to inspect wheels between runs and events. This is a big hurdle.
[/quote]

I thought I remembered you saying aluminum billets?
Any way you can rig a portable zyglo set-up?  Maybe in a blocked off area in the corner or tapered nose of the trailer?

Jim

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #508 on: January 23, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
One thing that may be an easy nondestructive test of the wheels would be to to get an audio signature on each wheel by striking it lightly with a ball peen hammer. Any small crack would change the tone. This may even be able to be done without removal from the car but it is a long shot. I bet there is an app out there for an iPhone that might do this for us. Brandon come up with this and I think it is a good idea.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #509 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
WOW! Just read the entire thread. Great project Rob! Looks like it's gonna be way cool! Keep up the good work!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson