Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 598421 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Ron, you're probably correct but those of us who have been doing it for a living for a long time always seem to be intent on completing the weld first. :-o :-o :?

Usually when you get one in the ear your head is between two rather firm surfaces such as the frame and the floor. The bouncing between the two just adds to the excitement. After a while you learn to wear ear plugs when the chances of this happening are greatest.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:48:22 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »
   I looked at that picture inside the chassis, and my first thought was: "Dodge, how many times would my head bounce off of the frame before I got it undercontrol when a spark went down the neck of my shirt". Hell of a welder, and great self control.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Very few sparks with tig. That was not that much of an issue for him.
I do plan on making a rotisserie but we want to do as much welding as possible before it comes off the jig.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline DND

« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Also harpooned my thigh more than once with a hot tungsten, just going to set the torch here for a second to move the part.

Don

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
We're all really sidetracking this exciting build thread, BUT. . .

Sparks may occur when using gas welding rod while TIG welding critical update tubes into your A/Fuel dragster (not me , just best buddy).

AND

while trying to brush aside the shop pet dog with the rod alone @ 11 PM while tacking a tube from the underside of the jig  sometimes causes you to stab YOURSELF in the arm making it semi - limp for a while.

Serious as yrs truly though it was, Kaiser emergency only figerrd it needed a Band - AID!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #364 on: June 03, 2012, 10:33:49 PM »
Today I finished the "blow by" catch can.
The inlet tubes from the valve covers come up from the bottom to help clean up the plumbing a bit. The inlet tubes also have extensions that prevent drain back. There is also a baffle to help separate the oil from the "blow by" fumes.

Lot of work for a silly vent tank!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »
Very nice work! Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
Btw, this means that all tanks are done and mounted.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #367 on: June 06, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
Rob,
A quick note to say a big "THANKS" for your time last Saturday for my visit to your shop. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed visiting with you and Brandon. And for the rest of you I can tell you that this project is absolutely first rate, the level of engineering and the quality of the build it exceptional. This car is going to be a real contender for the wheel driven record and just looking at the Solid Works illustrations of the car that Rob has it will be beautiful and I am sure very fast!

Thanks again Rob!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline DND

« Reply #368 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Hi Rob

You might give some thought to venting your engine from the lifter valley area instead of the rocker covers,even if you meter the oil to the rockers you have a ton of oil there verses the lifter valley.

In 67' i was building Can-Am engines for Al Bartz and never any rocker cover breathers, after he explained it to me it made sence since he learned it from Traco where he worked before starting his own shop.

So i started my own shop in 68' and never breathed any engines from the covers in 18 yrs, plus a lot less chance of a fire because of too much oil mist in the vented air.

Just think of all the racing engine fires from oil out the breathers next to the red hot pipes !!!

Just my 2 cents worth

BTW very nice tank & building of your new car

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
"In 67' i was building Can-Am engines for Al Bartz..."

Did you know George Bolthoff? He built our aluminum BBC engines for Bob's McLaren in '72 & '73.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline DND

« Reply #370 on: June 06, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Hi Neil

Did not know George but raced with Tom Larkin helping with his Top Gas car and he raced George all the time , both cars ran about the same in 1965 or so. Then Larkin wen't to Top Fuel and tried to play with the big boys , he should have stayed in top gas where he won quite a bit as top fuel is a tough game.

Knew his helper and he was a painter doing helmets etc, tried to locate him a few yrs ago for some paint work i needed but no luck.

Boltloose as they called him did a cool thing with his blown 392, he set the hilborn barrel valve on the rich side so it would puff out a trace of black smoke and the engine would make a rupp - rupp sound with the exhaust so you could tell it was George's car running pretty clever idea !!

BTW how is your Manta coming along, aways liked those neat body's looked like a Can-Am Coupe

Don
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:12:08 PM by DND »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #371 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Don;

I don't know if Bolthoff is still around but he sure built us some fine ZL1 BBC engines back in the day. We had two- one in the car and another as a spare or being rebuilt by Geaorge at his shop Engine Systems Development. Consistent, reliable, and lots of torque. One dyno'ed at 665 hp and the other one at 666 hp. He ran without hearing protection, as we all did in those days so he couldn't hear very well at all. Now I have a bit of that same problem, too.

Although I haven't posted much lately in the Build Diary, I've been busy revising the Mirage rear chassis so that the suspension pick up points are located better. Lots of cutting & grinding & welding.

BTW, a salesman in a local abrasives distributor gave me a sample 4 1/2" sanding disk for my angle grinder; it is a new abrasive from 3M. I forget the name but that "32+" disk cuts steel like nothing I've ever seen. I was so impressed that I went back and bought a few 60+ and 80+ disks. If you do any fabrication, I recommend trying them.

I think the Manta Mirage should have good aerodynamics since it was based on a McLaren M8 but their conversion of that body style into a closed-cockpit coupe should have even lower drag than the original M8.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #372 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:22 PM »
Rex, thanks for the kind words! It was truly a pleasure to meet you also. It's too bad you did not get a chance to meet Eric.
Neil, do you know Chuck Beck from the old Can-Am days? Chuck us one if my all time heroes. I just had the chance to meet him a few months ago. Btw, I love Mantas!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #373 on: June 06, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
Don,
I will take that advise about the valley venting being better than valve cover venting although I know there is a lot of oil flying around the valley also. Might be more room to build baffling in the valley.
When using dry sumps, I put one way valves in the lines between the crank case and the catch can. If I can pull vacuum, the valves stay closed but if I start to make positive crank case pressure, it opens the valves and vapors can enter the can. On my twin turbo BBC, I have not emptied my catch can in four years. She is sealed up pretty good. I attribute this to the Childs and Albert zero gap second rings. I wish they still made them. A lot of engine builders don't like them as they contend that the top ring sealing is hindered because the second ring is so sealed.
All I can say is that they work for me.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline DND

« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »
Hi Rob

As i was a drag guy for 8 yrs when i walked through the door at Bartz's shop, every drag car i ever saw had breathers on the rocker covers, then seeing these road racing engines without any i thought what it the deal here.

Then Al explained about pressured oil at the rockers, and no pressure in the valley all came to light real quick.

I'am just amazed that racers have not figured it out after 45 yrs later, still breath at the worst spot in the engine and still have oil fires becuse of it.

My friend built a brand new 5 liter hydroplane back in the day , i told him about the breathers in the wrong place and first time on the water had a fire and burnt his new boat pretty bad too.

It just make's common sence when you think about it like Al said to me in 67' and he learned at Traco before that.

Don