Author Topic: NACA 66 Special A/BGS  (Read 596417 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: NACA 66 Special A/BGS
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:39 AM »
   Well O.K. I'll be the first to say it. That thing looks like it'll FLY!!!!! LOL    I especially like the part where the legs straddle the front tires.

saltfever

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 01:54:07 AM »
I realize its early with the concept drawing and many things will appear in due time. I don’t see any filleting where the wings join the fuselage. This is a very controversial subject and many claim it “looks cool” with no speed gain. However, many aircraft sport a generous fillet at the wing-to-fuselage-interface. YMMV

What CAD tool are you using? Is the human figure and add-on or part of your CAD?

Many thanks for starting what will be a very interesting thread.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 02:44:48 AM »
Interesting design Rob . Have you considered using a drop tank as the main body to save time and money . 24" MTs would reduce frontal area .

John Burk

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:25 AM »
Rob do you think Vinny is going to mind taking a back seat :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:27:14 AM »
I realize its early with the concept drawing and many things will appear in due time. I don’t see any filleting where the wings join the fuselage. This is a very controversial subject and many claim it “looks cool” with no speed gain. However, many aircraft sport a generous fillet at the wing-to-fuselage-interface. YMMV

What CAD tool are you using? Is the human figure and add-on or part of your CAD?

Many thanks for starting what will be a very interesting thread.

Eric Alstrom aka Blue has helped us immensely (understatement) with this project and Eric says "no fillets".
We have been using Ashlar Cobalt for design work but are switching over to Solidworks. The outside shape is all Ashlar but the suspension and steering work is Solidworks. The driver is a shared file among solid works users (free). If you are interested I can get you the link or send it to you in the format of your choice.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 09:31:38 AM »
Interesting design Rob . Have you considered using a drop tank as the main body to save time and money . 24" MTs would reduce frontal area .

John Burk

Drop tank is not quite the right shape and size. Also, the body is not round as viewed from the front.
We are not concerned with frontal area or displacement, just the wetted area, separation drag, and stagnation drag.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
Rob do you think Vinny is going to mind taking a back seat :?

Vinny is just going to have to tough it out. It's going to kill me though to pull it all apart while it is not broke. LOL.
Vinny and I just won the last Flashlight Drags last week. We beat a back halved 66 Chevelle with a Big Duke headed 572BBC and a fogger to win the final!
It was great fun. First time we ever won one of those events. It's hard to win 1/8 mile drag races with non tubbed car on an unprepared surface.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:38 PM »
The selection of the NACA 66018 shape, in plan view, is a good choice and it happens to be the shape I am working with on my small lakester, (know wonder I like it!). What are your plans for the shape in the elevation (side) view as I see that the top and the bottom of the car appear to be different. I know that you are showing us the most preliminary views of your concept but don't forget to pay attention to the leadng and trailing junctions of the wings at both the main body and the wheel covers.

Your shape and your description of your project goals are certainly a step away from what has been the accepted streamliner design of late ( not counting the Specter car of course). With the sudden rash of cars going over 400 I would think that you would join that very elite group and my opinion (which is worth a cup of cheap coffee) is that it may be the car that requires the least HP to go 400.

Keep us posted!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

saltfever

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
We have been using Ashlar Cobalt for design work but are switching over to Solidworks. The outside shape is all Ashlar but the suspension and steering work is Solidworks. The driver is a shared file among solid works users (free). If you are interested I can get you the link or send it to you in the format of your choice.
Thanks Rob . . . PM sent.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »
Rex,
Here is a side view of the latest design

Older design revision with wheel skirt removed.

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

I missed the best part :-o the adjustable wing flaps :-P Will they adjust as you shift?

There's a lakester from the Carson City Navada area, that has had an  adjustable wing for years and I'm surprised
that no one else has done it.
  We would like to have an adjustable spoiler [with shifts] on the 222 camaro but haven't figured out how to do it.

Good luck with the build   JL222

Offline bbarn

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
The selection of the NACA 66018 shape, in plan view, is a good choice and it happens to be the shape I am working with on my small lakester, (know wonder I like it!). What are your plans for the shape in the elevation (side) view as I see that the top and the bottom of the car appear to be different. I know that you are showing us the most preliminary views of your concept but don't forget to pay attention to the leadng and trailing junctions of the wings at both the main body and the wheel covers.

Your shape and your description of your project goals are certainly a step away from what has been the accepted streamliner design of late ( not counting the Specter car of course). With the sudden rash of cars going over 400 I would think that you would join that very elite group and my opinion (which is worth a cup of cheap coffee) is that it may be the car that requires the least HP to go 400.

Keep us posted!!

Rex

Rex, the fuselage is a series of eight 66's rotated about a central plane. Then each of the foils scaled in thickness only (not in chord) for ground clearance, head clearance, differential fitment...
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 04:51:36 PM »

I missed the best part :-o the adjustable wing flaps :-P Will they adjust as you shift?

There's a lakester from the Carson City Navada area, that has had an  adjustable wing for years and I'm surprised
that no one else has done it.
  We would like to have an adjustable spoiler [with shifts] on the 222 camaro but haven't figured out how to do it.

Good luck with the build   JL222
The flaps will be spring loaded via air cylinder and accumulator tank. The faster it goes the more flap will level out. If it levels out too soon, we will add air pressure to the accumulator and if it never levels out, we will decrease air pressure. The idea is to get a constant down force whatever the speed. At least that is the plan now.
You could probably do the same with the Camaro.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »

After reading the above I was cussing myself out for throwing this small accumulator tank I bought for my 94 Buick Riviera [tubo'ed lemon] that I never used for 15 yrs when cleaning out the shop last week. I thought I put it in the Recycle box that I take in but it wasn't there.  So I was cussing about it and Linda went out and found it in another crate :roll:
  I was sure that I put in the weekly recycle bin because the box I take in was full.
  At the same time I was thinking about this ski bike that we won, same thing 15 yrs in the garage never used it
 as soon as we gave it away it snowed 4 in on our long steep driveway, first time the snow stuck in 18 yrs.

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
You know, I've been going though stuff lately and asking myself "what are the chances I'm ever going to need this or that?" Best way to answer that question is to throw it away. LOL. You"ll know within a week. LOL!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com