Author Topic: September 2010 Meet  (Read 20111 times)

Offline Dan Stokes

Re: September 2010 Meet
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
That's for cars.  Bikes often get a one mile push, but just on the return road.

Which begs the question - why don't bikes ever get a push start?  Seems like they could use more sprocket if they didn't have to leave from a dead stop.  I'm seeing a quick ATV with the rider's boot on a peg on the race bike.  You often hear the bike REALLY bog at the start then take off like crazy.  I know I'm showing my bike ignorance here........

Dan

How long of a distance do you have to push your car there.
Thanks Rick

Rick,  the Start to Finish is exactly One mile.

Most cars that need or use a push have the push vehicle go to the first turn out (approx 1000 feet) I am not sure,,, I pull away from the push at around 20 to 25 mph and they still have a ways before the turn out.

If you need a push to the second turn out , I guess that would be OK ? (about 1/4 mile or so)

Charles
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:05 PM »
I could use a good push up to the, oh, 7/8 mile. I got down to the track in 120 minutes from 120 miles away. I considered leaving the bike on the trailer to make a pass, but knew the truck wouldm't pass tech.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 03:30:05 PM »
Results are up. Let us know if anything looks out of whack!

BAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAA

Will you be there in October to collect your cheezzeburger bike fuel?  :-D

Debbie

Nope, I've got to save my $$$ for the next upgrades and to replace a missing nitrous bottle or two.   :-D

Offline don

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Which begs the question - why don't bikes ever get a push start?  Seems like they could use more sprocket if they didn't have to leave from a dead stop.  I'm seeing a quick ATV with the rider's boot on a peg on the race bike.  You often hear the bike REALLY bog at the start then take off like crazy.
Dan

I think that pushing starting a bike is not allowed. It seems I heard that many years ago. I have a very good memory it is just not very long.  :-)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:58:09 PM by don »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 01:57:39 PM »
Jarl Wathne sent this (long) article about racing at Maxton in September, and it's worth pasting into the Forum.  Because it's as long as it is -- I'll put it up on a couple of separate posts.  Also -- I'm at work right now and don't have the photos -- will add those later when I'm using the bigger machine at the house.  In the meantime -- enjoy this:

Maxton Mile September to Remember
I have enjoyed reading so many other teams' race and build stories on this forum that when my friends and I had a "September to Remember" at the Maxton Mile I thought we should contribute also.
Doug "Tekebird" Wotring is BDU Racing, and I (Jarl "Dr J" Wathne) am Moto Madcap.  We met while racing Radio Control Sailboats in regattas everywhere from Vermont to Florida including National Championships but we often found ourselves talking motorcycles instead of sailing.  Then I found Maxton and convinced him to come down as my pit crew.  Once was all it took.  On the trip home he was looking at the records in the back of the rulebook and deciding what bike to get.  He cruised the internet and quickly became the proud owner of an Aprilia RS125 road racer.  Good thing too because I was borrowing his trailer.  Now all we have to decide is whose truck to connect to it.
His Aprilia is powered by a 125cc 2-stroke single cylinder.  He changed pipes, carb, jetting, tail, and gearing and already holds multiple Altered Partially Streamlined records.

Now Doug stands about 6'6" so getting in a tight tuck on that bike is tough.  So he decided to also get a bigger bike (boy, I really hooked him didn't I?).  So he finds a '98 Buell S1W.  But not just any Buell.  This one is a 1200cc V Twin of course but it was one of thirteen S1W's pulled from the factory production line and factory race-prepped for a Harley factory rider spec race at the 15th HOG Rally.  This particular bike was ridden by Canadian road racer Pascal Picotte to win the race.  Doug already converted it to chain-drive and rode it to a Pushrod record earlier this Spring.
Now like all of us, Doug was not satisfied, so for this meet he entered the Aprilia in another class but the Buell was what really kept him busy over the summer break.  He installed a much smaller gas tank which then allowed for clipon bars.  This combo really helped his tuck position.  Then he put in a new ECM to help with ignition.

So he was ready.
I designed and built my initial Honda assault on Maxton back in 2008.  I took a 1994 Honda RS125 roadracer, pulled out the 2-stroke engine, and wedged in a 2005 Honda CRF250R 250cc 4-stroke single cylinder engine from a motocrosser.  I have changed it somehow for every meet since then.  As I add and alter pieces it has slowly become as my wife calls it a "Science Fair Project."  Since it is a road racer chassis it is automatically in the Altered class.  So to take advantage of the class rules  this past winter I designed and built a new seat/tail to try to improve the airflow behind me.  It has definitely helped.
Two years ago I met Eric (Racer X) Roehrle.  He is Dark Horse Racing with his Kawasaki Ninja 250.  It is hard to resist his enthusiasm for this sport and we quickly became friends since we both lived in Maryland and we both raced a 250cc 4-stroke.  The even better part is that since his is a streetbike it is in the Modified class so we don't compete directly.  However his rules are more restrictive than mine. Eric's bike was once all black and he wears all black thus the team name.  But this year he has really escalated the speed modifications to even include yellow paint as well as the new rear fairing.
Well as we were having dinner in June at McDuff's Eric and I were both whining about the fastest 250/4 (stroke) ever at Maxton which was 119mph by a Kawasaki on nitrous.  It made one run.  We both decided to quit whining and get busy and try to both run nitrous at the September meet.  We both wanted to be the 1st 250/4 to break 120mph at Maxton.  So we went our separate ways to do our research on the "scary NOS", "liquid horsepower", and "engine-killer".  Eric decided on the Boss-Noss system and I chose the Wizards of NOS system from England.  I don't think either system had been used before at Maxton.  Eric also did major aerodynamic improvements with his handlebars and fairing as well as adding a steering damper and Innovate LM2 Air/Fuel monitor.

I built a new gas tank to add a dual tap high flow petcock and also to lower my head in the tuck.

Jarl Wathne
Moto Madcap

More to come - in the next post.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:55:21 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »
Here's the second (of three) parts of Jarl Wathne's saga of the September 2010 event at Maxton.  It's a fun read and a good review of the efforts of just a few racers.  I'll remind you that for right now - the photos are NOT attached.  I'll add them later, when I'm at the house.

We were emailing back and forth and when we both had our NOS systems finally installed we both made a silly video of our bike with a music soundtrack.  Eric used "Under Pressure" by Queen with David Bowie,  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sQWCgg-6E
and I used "We're Ready" by Boston.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLXcv34mSBA

Both of us were like kids with a new toy under the Christmas tree.
Now it was finally time for the meet.  Doug drove down from Pennsylvania to my place and we loaded up his Lucky Trailer (for three years it has never left a meet without at least one new record).  My wife Betty had put up with so much shop time this summer that she had to come with us to watch our Nitrous Debut.  She even brought our Pyrenean Shepherd "Django"

since he was the dog inspiration for her artwork for my Moto Madcap logo.

After 8 hrs of driving we are at the freeway exit.  I still get a big smile on my face when I see the yellow ECTA sign.  Thanks guys.  The next smile is when we see Kim at the entrance.  What a greeter!!  Then we park the trailer next to Eric's van,  unload the bikes, and roll them over to the Tech line.  All 4 bikes pass Tech so we breathe easier.  But as I prepare my Honda for tomorrow my first wiring glitch shows up- nothing electrical is powering up.  I fear that it's a bad omen but I track it down to just the main battery lead sliding off the spade connector.  Everything else seems fine again.
Saturday morning is beautiful but warming up fast.  Small tailwind too!  Eric and I both delay our Nitrous event a little longer.  I need to first secure the last Altered 250/4 class record (A/G-250/4) which is naked and only Gas.  So the fairing is off, the tank is sealed with track gas inside, and the Nitrous bottle is sitting forlornly in the trailer.  I make my first pass down the track reaching 113.3mph on a 104.7 record.  Eric wanted to delay the Nitrous for one run so he could first be sure of all the other aerodynamic changes he had made on the bike.  They seemed to help as he went through at 112.2 on a 107.4 record for MPS/BF-250/4.  Then I go to the trailer to get my bike ready for a NOS run by raising the gearing way up, adding the fairing, and then the bottle is slid into the holder hidden in the tail behind my right leg.  Pressure looks good.
Now Doug gets into the mix with his Aprilia 125 running one of its fastest speeds with him as the pilot at 98.0mph on an open record.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1194/46278327.jpg[/img]

Finally Eric is the first to fire his Nitrous waiting until topped out in 6th gear at the 3/4 mile mark.  His speed jumps 5mph to 117.4 making it the second fastest 250/4 run ever at Maxton.  But he says it doesn't sound right.  He quickly goes down and does another run but only goes 115.1 saying it still sounds off.  Now I'm finally ready so we all three go down to the staging area together.  Doug is first to get to the line, now having jumped on his Buell so he can stretch his legs.  His modifications over the summer have made a difference on his "Paint Mixer" as he calls the Buell and so he goes 137.7mph on his record of 133.7!  He's smiling.
Then I am next.  As I look down the almost 2 miles of open track I shake my head with disbelief knowing that we in LSR get to do what every driver like us wants to do when you are first in line and the traffic light turns green.  I get the "Visor Down" followed by the "Track Is Yours" sign.  The engine roars to life through the straight pipe exhaust as I make a smooth run up through the five speed tranny.  Then at the 3/4 mile, with my heart racing,  I push the little red button with my left thumb.  Nothing changes.  I push again.  Again nothing.  Noooooo!  So I make sure my tuck is optimized and go through the trap without NOS at 116.0 on my APS/F-250/4 record of 108.4.  My second fastest run ever, a new record, and yet I'm disappointed.  No nitrous firing.  But as I'm at the registration trailer getting my new record certified and wondering why the NOS didn't fire, Eric makes his next start.  He is determined to make something happen this time so he fires the Nitrous sooner, blazes down the white line on his "Angry Bumble Bee", and I can't believe my ears when the radio announces his speed of 121.8mph!!!  Eric has done it!  He is the first 250/4 to break the 120 mark at Maxton!  Dark Horse Racing rules all other Ninja 250s!

Jarl Wathne
Moto Madcap
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:55:06 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:12 PM »
And here's the third and final part of Jarl Wathne's saga of his adventures at the September 2010 Maxton event.  One more time I'll remind you -- I don't have the photos here at the store, but will add them once I'm back at the house -- probably later tonight (I hope, depending on how late we get home).

Meanwhile I go back to the pits and find a NOS controller glitch in my rpm safety window setting, rectify that, and once again I go down the track but again no reaction to the red button.  But again the engine sounds very happy and I get a new Personal best of 117.1 without NOS!  But again it is weirdly disappointing.  All because of the Laughing Gas.  I feel it is laughing at me, not with me...
Eric huge smile has not faded as he backs up his run with a 121.6.  It is in the mid 90 degrees now so he parks his bike for the day.  But then Doug goes out again and finally breaks into the triple digits as the Aprilia rider with a Personal Best of 100.2mph!
Now once again I am in the pits sorting out what I am convinced is a wiring disconnect.  Then I stumble onto the problem.  Since mine is originally a motocross engine, I have to run a battery as a total loss system to power the data logger, dash, cooling fan, and NOS system.  The battery was fine for everything visible but was drained enough by the controller switch being left on overnight to not be able to fire the solenoids to release the nitrous and fuel.  So Eric to the rescue with a power convertor (which someone else had just given to him earlier this meet) to charge the battery off my roller-starter battery.  Wait 1 hour.  Then riding gear back on, unplug the bike,  and head back down to the staging.  Almost no one there anymore due to the heat.  Suddenly I'm at the line.  Here we go again.  I notice one of the ECTA volunteer staff using a Flip video.  That must be a good sign I think.  So off we go.  Slip the clutch forever in 1st.  Accelerate to 12,500rpm at 60mph, shift, repeat, shift, repeat, keep the tuck good, head down, toes in, knees in, elbows in.  Then I'm in 5th gear...I think...forgot to count again....try to shift again...no, already in 5th.  Here comes the 3/4 mile mark.  Speedometer reads 117.  Take a relaxing breath.  Push the red button.  Yeah baby!  It feels like I just smoothly rolled on the throttle another 1/4 turn as the controller adds the Nitrous and fuel from 20%-100% in 5 steps over 2 seconds.  Speedo climbs steadily and engine sounds happy and I have a huge grin on my face as I fly through the trap at 126.6mph!!!  What a feeling!  Then at the registration trailer Eric reminds me that my speed is fast enough to earn my D License!!

I made one more run ten minutes later just before they closed the track for the evening and did a 126.5.  Then Sunday morning I did one run but the exhaust note changed slightly and I found the pipe was broken.  Eric did 2 Sunday runs.  His 1st was almost a match for his record at 121.4.  But on his last run as he applied the nitrous in 5th and again in 6th at the 1/2 mile his clutch was slipping and allowed the engine to hit 14,500 rpm losing power at the 3/4 mile mark and coasting all the way to the normal turnout.  His # 1 piston had rings pinched  in the groove and #2 piston was holed.  But no oil leaked.  I remember when I told Todd Dross that I was going to be running Nitrous on my Honda he asked "How much oil does it have?"  I told him "Less than 1 quart."  He said "Good."  Then he grinned.  When Eric got back to the pits he had another huge smile on his face as he held up his sparkplug with no electrodes left and said "Look Jarl, my first Nitrous trophy!"
So for the weekend:
1. Doug brought 2 bikes, set 2 Personal Bests, and got 2 records!
2. I am the first person to ever earn an LSR  D License  on a 250/4 and my Honda CRSF250 is now the World's Fastest 250/4 in Land Speed Racing.
3. Eric was the 1st 250/4 to break 120mph at Maxton Mile and is now the World's Fastest Ninja 250!
What a "September to Remember" at the Maxton Mile!
Thank You, Thank you, Thank you!!! to Joe and Donna Timney and Keith and Tonya Turk and all the fabulous volunteer staff that make it possible for us to safely have this much fun with these bikes that don't go 200mph.

Jarl Wathne
Moto Madcap

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:56:04 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »
What a story
The Power converter that saved the day was given to me by Joe Daly.

I got to 121mph  3 times but the engine felt funny .Like it was misfiring. I did not realize I was over powering the clutch. The engine was just sitting on the 14000 rpm rev limit . I raised the limiter to 14500 and pushed harder .But that made the clutch slip more. I then added timing trying to get more power . That is when I started collecting souvenirs.

Everything is fixed and we will be back at it for October.

And yes  THANK YOU THANK YOU .To Joe and Donna ,Keith and Tonya. And all the Volunteers. Ths last three years has been the best time of my life. The friends and memories are something to cherish . :cheers:
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
Eric ... must have been providence ... I have had that inverter in the truck since Loring and thought you had a good use for it ... just didnt think it would be that soon.
Joe

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:45 AM »
Ya Joe It was at the right place at the right time.  :cheers:

One more thing.... I was not whining. I wasn't I wasn't I wasn't  :-P
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:31 AM »
Eric--It sounds like you engine was, but I've never heard you do it.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »
Great weekend and even greater write-up.  Congrats to all of you.  For some reason I thought Eric had done enough mods that he was now in APS but I guess the front fairing is still the production design.  I fondly remember the joy of licensing up on my production class Ninja 500.  I also remember the guilty pleasure in knowing that my record in Maxton it meant the next challenger would at least have the challenge I did of fitting a steering stabilizer.  If I can bump it just a few more mph then at least they will have to upgrade the tires too!  I don't mind someone taking the record.  I just don't want them going directly from the showroom to Maxton and doing it.  Of course they will need to make a chain guard and install a tether kill so at least they had some work to do anyways.  :evil: