Author Topic: Custom Aluminum wheel manufacturers  (Read 3968 times)

Offline WKM

• New folks
Custom Aluminum wheel manufacturers
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:37:57 PM »
We have been running an 18 x 7 inch wheel on the front of a car running Modified Sport.  Using Mickey Thompson 26.5 x 9 x 18, we have discovered that the tires have a very large contact patch and cause the car to become unstable above 160. In fact, we spun the car at 188 it became so loose.

When we had the wheels made, we contacted M/T and used their recommended width for that tire. Going back and forth with their tech representative, they insist we do not have an issue with the wide contact patch. 

At the USFRA meet last week, we ran a second, better matched set of M/Ts.  At 164 our driver backed out of the run, as the front end was unstable, in fact he said he could feel the instability at 80 MPH.  As an experiment, we changed the front wheels and tires to the stock Bridgestones, with 45 pounds of pressure to increase the crown on the tire and lessen the contact patch, we ran 204, with no stability problems.

We are now looking at either mounting the 26.5 on a narrower wheel, such as 5 inches (not recommended or approved by M/T), or changing the a 15 inch wheel to get more tire options, such as running Goodyear Front runners.

Either way, I need suggestions on wheel manufacturers.  The original company that made our existing set is no longer available.

I would also appreciate any input on who is running the 26.5 M/T, and how they make them work on their cars.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin Marsh

Offline geh458

Re: Custom Aluminum wheel manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
Kevin,

I don't recall the name of the company, but I remember seeing an ad in the 2010 SCTA Rule Book of a group that makes special wheels.

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
WKM,
Just a quick question, is the back spacing the same on both sets of wheels, your 18 inch and the wheels that the Bridgestones were on? You could have a problem with to much or not enough wheel off set and not the tire.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
I'd question going to a narrower than recommended wheel on the same tire. That's normally a recipe for instability. I'd be looking at a new set of tires as well.

Pete

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
DO NOT put wide tires on narrow rims,,, that will make things worse and you run the possibility of a blow out when the bead fails.

My M/T's are very unstable on the Vicky above 125mph with 25 PSI,, put in 36psi and Ok to 150 just a little greasy feeling at the traps,,, went back to same wheels but with BFG G Force Sports and was GREAT

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline WKM

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
WKM,
Just a quick question, is the back spacing the same on both sets of wheels, your 18 inch and the wheels that the Bridgestones were on? You could have a problem with to much or not enough wheel off set and not the tire.

Rex

Rex, great question!  The fellows doing the aero design on the car, felt that having the outside edge of the salt tires in the same location as the originals would benefit the effect of the car in the airstream.
With that in mind, the center line of the salt tires are one inch further out than the centerline of the stock tires.  I know that can effect the scrub radius, what are the effects in a straight line?  Can that be improved with adding caster?  Right now we have 6.6 degrees in the stock configuration.

Thanks, Kevin

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

healewis

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
We have been running an 18 x 7 inch wheel on the front of a car running Modified Sport.  Using Mickey Thompson 26.5 x 9 x 18, we have discovered that the tires have a very large contact patch and cause the car to become unstable above 160. In fact, we spun the car at 188 it became so loose.

When we had the wheels made, we contacted M/T and used their recommended width for that tire. Going back and forth with their tech representative, they insist we do not have an issue with the wide contact patch. 

At the USFRA meet last week, we ran a second, better matched set of M/Ts.  At 164 our driver backed out of the run, as the front end was unstable, in fact he said he could feel the instability at 80 MPH.  As an experiment, we changed the front wheels and tires to the stock Bridgestones, with 45 pounds of pressure to increase the crown on the tire and lessen the contact patch, we ran 204, with no stability problems.

We are now looking at either mounting the 26.5 on a narrower wheel, such as 5 inches (not recommended or approved by M/T), or changing the a 15 inch wheel to get more tire options, such as running Goodyear Front runners.

Either way, I need suggestions on wheel manufacturers.  The original company that made our existing set is no longer available.

I would also appreciate any input on who is running the 26.5 M/T, and how they make them work on their cars.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin Marsh

Hi Kevin, just a thought I had when reading your post. I remember doing a little experiment, nothing to do with racing, back in the mid eighties. In the UK we get a lot of snow and where I lived, it was very hilly. I did the usual with my car as you do when you're young, a few mods here wide wheels etc.  8-) However, when it snowed the car was like Bambi on the ice.  :-o :roll: I could not get traction to climb the hills and as for braking, forget it.

Then whilst chatting to a colleague at work about why my car was at home he replied, put the stock wheels and tyres on and explained that the wider surface area of the tyre meant that there was no contact with the solid road surface beneath the snow and that a narrow tyre would, in effect plough through the snow and give me the traction I needed. I fit the old wheels and tires and it worked! I could drive the car, still with caution but it was a lot better.

Back to the thought, if the salt surface is loose, would a wider tyre on the salt have the same effect as on the snow and did the Bridgestones with 45 pounds of pressure produce the same results I got when I changed to narrow tires?  :roll: :roll: