Author Topic: Salt Cat  (Read 27575 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Salt Cat
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
That is the way i think too thundersalt but I guess the board feels differently. Just seems like a raw deal to me the way this was handled especially if they could just say "the car is not legal for this class so lets move the record to the class we feel it is legal for."  that seems like a win, win for everybody.  Instead the way it was handled totally screws salt cat and gives the SCTA a big black eye the way I see it.  Both sides lose in my opinion.

You probably don't know what happens if you break a record and make a mistake in your paperwork :-o
  Wrong number or letter good by record.

JL222

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
I am not going to say anything more on this as I get a little too vocal with my opinions when I get fired up.   I also am not an SCTA memeber so my feelings really do not matter.

Offline collis

• New folks
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »
I'm #1950 -- a straight 8 racer also
The Salt Cat guys have always been open and helpful when sharing their engine modifications and innovations with us. As usual their position on this modification had been well thought out and bounced off a number of people. My thought, when Doug described the head modification to us, was "Wow, smart people have been trying to improve the flow characteristics of this crappy head for years and these guys have come up with a way to do it! What a good idea"
The key word here is "improve." This was not " created" from solid "stock", but was a modification of a production casting.
My interpretation of the rules (and I've looked at them pretty hard)was the same as the Salt Cat guys and apparently many others.
 The "rules guys" have a tough job in these instances and I know they struggled with how to handle it. I would have said "Looks like we better rewrite that rule to clarify what our intent is" but that is just the way I would have handled it. Smokey Yunick lead to a lot of rule rewrites thru the years with his innovative thinking. The Salt Cat guys are in the same boat.
I support the Salt Cat's records in whatever class they end up in as they have built a superior race car thru their "out of the box" thinking and fabricating expertice!
Mike

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »

You probably don't know what happens if you break a record and make a mistake in your paperwork :-o
  Wrong number or letter good by record.

JL222

That rings a bell!   I don't know anything about XO/XXO rules to comment.  But when you boil it down the Salt Cat guys know how fast they went and so do we.  And thats what counts.  A tip of the hat guys.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
Smokey Yunick tired to circumvent the rules, Doug & Frank did not. Smokey never called Bill France before doing what he did. They can do what they want and they will , all they did was build a fire under these two and they will get those records one way or the other, trust me, I know both of them. I understand everything but SCTA taking thier money when they knew they had a problem with the head, I dont agree with it though. A guy with a hole saw, a grinder and a bucket of epoxy does not constitute an after market head . Just 2 pennys worth from a nobody

Offline Oldanontheway

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
You guys were definitely robbed, railroaded!  Sounds like there is some of them czars in the back room. Vote'm out.

old...
Political correctness is a spineless character flaw that emboldens the enemies of freedom, tolerance and peace.

This ain't your mothers cookie cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA.. +10

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
Can they be voted out?  :?

Offline jl222

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »
Can they be voted out?  :?

Good to see u back :cheers:

JL222

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
Can they be voted out?  :?

They probably can BUT if ya vote'm out you gotta find replacements.  Despite their shortcomings they are dedicated and work extremely hard on our behalf.  As Stan said they get more right than wrong.  Last July I wrote 435 instead of 434 on my entry form.  I ran 120 on a 116 record.  Tough excrement.  Do it over in Sept.  As I said earlier I don't know enough to comment but it does look like they wuz robbed.

To me its case of better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:25:34 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Crosley

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
This reminds me of arguments I had with IRS back in the 1980's..

You receive one answer from an IRS agent.  You go back to the office at a later date to learn  that answer you were given 2 weeks earlier  was wrong and you receive more $ penalties even though you followed what the previous IRS agent told you.
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline jl222

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
  Saltcats... see if you can get a letter stating what is allowed to a stock head and post it here :-D

I don't know much about your heads but is splitting the ports also considered fabrication..canting the valves..
installing valve girdles, oil drain lines.. is installing bigger valves fabrication...etc.?

The wording in rule book gives someone a chance to challange every mod made except porting and milling.

Even Dan had trouble interpeting.

JL222

P.S. tell the powers that be you want the answer in 24 hrs, they should know..right? :evil:

LittleLiner

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
hummmm . . .
I have no dog in this fight and can't spell XXO.  That said.   I see posts on this forum all the time that say to contact the 'committee' for get the information on rules questions.  It looks like the committee got (sort of) over ruled here.  So, . . . who is the final answer person on rules questions in SCTA?  And what is the purpose of the various committees?

Offline saltcatracing

• New folks
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
Well the Salt Cat Team has unanimously decided...we are headed back to Bonneville - for the World Finals.  We are flat-ass broke - but what the hay...this is what we do, what we love and there are two classes we can run this go round - XXO/BGALT and XXO/BFALT.  So if any of you guys will be around, stop by - we are planning on setting up a "mini-pit" as it won't be as hot in October and our aspirations are to be in the starting line or in "impound".  We will arrive on Tuesday, and plan on being done and out of there late Friday morning.  We have a farm and over the course of this summer our animals will have spent three weeks without us...farm dog, the equines and Doug and Barbs cat - they hate this!  Thanks everyone for you thoughts and support - it means the world to us!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
Go Saltcats! Love that spirit! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »
You should get a gift certificate from SCTA for when you change class.
Best of luck :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean