Author Topic: Bonneville Salt Flats Museum  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Bonneville Salt Flats Museum
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
Have you heard about the new idea of a museum out here in Wendover?  I'll paste the article into this form:

BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS MUSEUM

Hello friends of the Bonneville Salt Flats. We have some exciting news for you and everyone that has been touched by the magic of the salt, be it a fan, part of a pit crew, or a racer, anyone who has competed and supported competition.

At the Historic Wendover Airfield in Wendover Utah. We have secured {see picture}

(whoops -- I guess the picture might not show up)

a building. The building is 150 ft. x 60 ft. and as you can see, needs some work.   

We have a 99 year lease, with a 501c3 nonprofit corporation in place. A committee is being formed and they will be sending out more information in the near future.

In the meantime "Charter" Donations are being accepted. All donations will be placed in escrow until we reach our goal. Please send your Charter donation with your names/address/email and phone # for our database.  From this list we will share future museum updates.

Here is our chance to share our passion of going fast, with people from all over the world.

A museum that tells the story of going fast.

Help Us Fulfill The Dream, send Donations and contact information to:

345 Airport Apron - P.O. Box 159
Wendover, Utah 84083

Thank You for your support!               

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racergeo

Re: Bonneville Salt Flats Museum
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
  Wow, and I happen to know a fellow that has some relics from the old museum that he bought at auction some years ago. Maybe I can talk him into a donation.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
What ever happened to the Museum that was in Wendover back in the 1980's? It had some neat cars and stuff in it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
It was auctioned off several years ago. I went to it many times and always enjoyed it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:05:40 PM »
Actually had the hair stand up on my arms and back of my neck, and goose bumps the first time I set foot on the salt as a competitor 5 years ago. As a teenager in the early 60's growing up in the Mid-West - ok - Cicero Illinois, the closest we would get is the Hot Rod magazines and saying - Oh Man ! Those California guys sure are lucky, its always nice and sunny out there and they build the coolest cars and hot rods.
Fast forward 45 yrs.
Bonneville may be like almost a given thing for some that are only a few hrs away, and maybe some of the true History of this magical place is being put on a bunch of cerebral memory bank shelves, or boxes in the garage, and almost being forgotten.
I think the Museum idea is fantastic, and another place of Historical significance, the Wendover air port being the proposed home is like icing on the cake of History. Sheeet Fire Man !   Home of the Enola Gay, and the Fastest Things With Wheels on the planet.
Where else is there a place where tourists passing through can see pictures and memorabilia of an era of speed passing bye every year.

Does anybody have leads on where some of the artifacts from the old museum went ?  I just think this idea could turn into something very cool for a generation or more. What an educational opportunity for bringing in new younger blood. If this comes to pass I will personaly donate weeks of my time helping get that place in shape.
OK, ok, sorry I might get a bit windy at times, so I'll wait a bit and see what everybody else thinks of the idea.

Respectfully
Jimbo

P.S.  Never mind - ain't sorry - :cheers:   :-D
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
This HAS to happen!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
Richard Dixon set up the Bonneville museum years ago , it was in the building that now has  the Auto parts store in it, last week I went in to get some "stuff" and just looked around and remembered the museum, It never got the respect it (and Richard) deserved !

It would be cool to see something happen again !
Salt Junkie

Offline knucklenutz

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:04 AM »
Hi folks,
I was excited to hear from Santa Claus a,k.a. Tom Anderson last night.   He and others have started a move to establish a museum dedicated to our great sport. Here is the press release that he sent me:

BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS MUSEUM

Hello friends of the Bonneville Salt Flats. We have some exciting news for you and everyone that has been touched by the magic of the salt, be it a fan, part of a pit crew, or a racer, anyone who has competed and supported competition.

At the Historic Wendover Airfield in Wendover Utah. We have secured {see picture}

a building. The building is 150 ft. x 60 ft. and as you can see, needs some work.   

We have a 99 year lease, with a 501c3 nonprofit corporation in place. A committee is being formed and they will be sending out more information in the near future.

In the meantime "Charter" Donations are being accepted. All donations will be placed in escrow until we reach our goal. Please send your Charter donation with your names/address/email and phone # for our database.  From this list we will share future museum updates. 

Here is our chance to share our passion of going fast, with people from all over the world.

A museum that tells the story of going fast.

Help Us Fulfill The Dream, send Donations and contact information to:

345 Airport Apron - P.O. Box 159
Wendover, Utah 84083

Thank You for your support!                

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »
We've got two threads on one subject.  I'll merge the two later when this Nearburg run is over.  Please look for existing threads before starting new ones, okay?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com