Author Topic: Borrowing Tools at Speed Week  (Read 5708 times)

Offline SaltFlatBike

• New folks
Re: Borrowing Tools at Speed Week
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 05:08:51 PM »
DW; That was the right thing you did to make sure the light was returned, even a year latter. No one has made a attempt to return my tools and what makes it even worse the first year it happened they where wearing Orange Hats! I'm not that hard to find, for every year I help tech the bikes and that freightliner  is not that hard to miss. Such is life. As per Crow there will be peach Ice Cream this year, it seems to me you also liked that one!??

Crow- Peach it is! Sounds cool and refreshing! It goes with out saying you are always needed and for muscle for hire, some one has to cross the 10 feet and back to the ice cream , for I will be  sitting in my new chairs I  bought for the truck, in 70 degree comfort, I love that truck!

John- You just get the whole tool thing, unfortunately some don't. What I don't get is what happened to the two ss that was left of the word as to where  I wanted to plant my boot.  It took me a minute but I get it now, RESPECT, got it and it will never happen again!

Dave and crew are the guys that wear the White hats, the good guys. The problems they had, they took it with a smile. I have always said, if you showed up at the Salt and only made one run you have WON.  Dave and crew are winners!

Debbie and Brian- The trailer is the White One-----------Kidding, look for the black flag, DONT TREAD ON ME and with the words LIBERTY OR DEATH on it. WORDS I BELIVE IN !!
See Ya Soon

Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high, Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, Live like your aint afraid to die, Don't be scared just enjoy the ride !!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
Wow, hate to hear that.

I have loaned tools a bunch and always got them back. Only one time I was pizzed because I had to go looking for the tool and it came back salty but as a rule its always been a good experience.

last year I helped a French guy who pitted next to us weld up pegs on his 50cc, the French guy has asked my wife and I several times to come visit him in Northern France (and one of these days....). I have never seen anyone more grateful....and damn near spit polished the welder when it was returned.

Good things do happen.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline 754

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
The overseas guys can have it real tough.. I heard one guy, probably the moped guy, brought his bike over in suitcases.

Some guys from Belgium (Krugger), were pitted beside us, ran a Sportster, which they had shipped ahead. They arrived with a handfull of tools in a rental car, the bike and leathers were brought to the salt for them. When they were working on the bike, they would sometimes need tools, but did usually not know the name of them in English! So they would point to what they needed, with some hand gesturing, and I would go and look for the tool to borrow, then bring it back later..

It all worked quite well, it was rather amusing... but , a great time was had by all, and they managed to set a record..

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »
And on another note of borrowing......

I just wanted to thank the bean bandits who pitted next to us last year and a time came we needed a second jack for a few minuets.

Well....I would of asked.... if anyone was around.....but....

Needless to say they never knew I borrowed their jack. This is because it was put right back where we got it in the same condition....if I had broke it they would of owned a new jack better then the one they had.

(*found out later the bandits borrowed some of our tools when we were gone also, and WE never knew it!)

Also....if anyone needs to borrow tools or parts I bring a full mig, plasma, impact and other tools many people may not have. I am not worried about getting them back...I have too much confidence in people and wouldnt mind making a scene if need be.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:37:26 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline oldrodder

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
Back when I was working as a mechanic for a living I was reluctant to loan tools to anybody but other known mechanics.  You learn quickly whom not to lend tools to!  At the drag races or sprint car tracks we often shared tools and I never had problem getting my stuff back from other racers.  It was nothing to loan a fellow racer parts to keep him running even if he later beat you with your parts!  I blew the transmission, drive line, rear end out of my Camero one day at the drags and had offers of all the parts I needed from a dozen racers before the "Safety Safari" had me towed back to the pits. 
I am looking forward to SW and will be glad to bring tools and help any team that needs an old fart like me.  I am a ASE master mechanic and been a hot rodder and mechanic for over 50 years.  If anyone needs an extra crew member I work cheap,  beer and tequila is my favorite paycheck!
Leaving Southwest Idaho on the 12th., not sure when I am returning.  "Have trailer, will haul"
 :cheers:
if it has an engine, i like it

Offline Hooley

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
In my shop I have threatened my friends of taking a digital pic of them holding my tool when they borrow it and erase it when they bring it back. Some friends are so forgetful but still friends. 
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline SaltFlatBike

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »
My god you would think I would have learned by now. 4 years in a row now! Any one know how to get a hold of Jim that crews for Roosevelt?
Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high, Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, Live like your aint afraid to die, Don't be scared just enjoy the ride !!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26:06 PM »
Hey Mickey...  :cheers:

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I love the honesty of everyone who ever borrowed or loaned me a tool....   I try to remember...   but damn...  I've finally just told Todd and Debbie to Hold onto the ECTA Screw Gun and let me have it back at the beginning and end of each meet... ( where upon I return it to their custody till the next meet )

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
I love the honesty of everyone who ever borrowed or loaned me a tool....   I try to remember...   but Dodge...  I've finally just told Todd and Debbie to Hold onto the ECTA Screw Gun and let me have it back at the beginning and end of each meet... ( where upon I return it to their custody till the next meet )

K

Funny Keith!  :-D (no checkout required, if it's the beginning or end of the meet, we know where it is & who's got it! LOL )

Wouldn't you know we left WOS with 3 borrowed items? Not so much our fault as we were still actively using them when the owners departed! Luckily they're ECTA racers so it will be easier to return them, which we will, cause we know who's they are!  :-)

Thanks Dean & Joe!  :cheers:
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline bak189

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
After all there is.......ECTA INTEGRITY.......(at least that what I was told a many posts back...OK. ignore me now again)
Question authority.....always