Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367380 times)

Offline Salt_Fever

• New folks
Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #825 on: September 24, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
- Salt_Fever

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #826 on: September 24, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
Did any cars go 400 in 2008 or 2009?  From 1965 to 2008, it appears only 4 cars have gone 400 or better (on the salt).  This week 5 cars broke 400.  Historic. 

Yes.  Burkland's 411 set the record at 415.896 in 08 and could have gone a lot faster with better traction.  Speed Demon ran 436 (I think) in 09 in the midst of breaking everything behind the motor...several times.  Sound familiar?  They're gonna chop the back half of the car off and redesign it from the ground up over this winter...or that's what I heard from 'em.

There may have been other 400+ runs, but my Swiss cheese memory can't dredge 'em up.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #827 on: September 24, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
Is this the first time Speed Demon has had serious engine trouble?
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline k.h.

« Reply #828 on: September 24, 2010, 10:52:11 PM »
Thanks Ray.  Still, 6 cars over 400 in 43 years and 5 in a week at Cook's Shootout.  Decent. 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Papi

« Reply #829 on: September 24, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »
Did I understand that the lawnmower's number is 104? That's my number. I'm protesting. Or something.

:lol: LOL. I like the "or something" remark Rich.
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #830 on: September 24, 2010, 10:58:36 PM »
Slim in his tux... mean tuck...fotos 1 & 2

Greg Akatiff on the Segway...foto 3

and finally the bat outta hell lawnmower....#4

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #831 on: September 24, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »

Yes.  As Betty Howard (George's sister) said to me, "we had to invent new things to break."  Kenny Duttweiler's motors have usually been bulletproof.  The problem with the first (299 inch) motor was the windage tray doing too good a job and obstructing the oil flow.  They ball's still up in the air as to the cause of the sneeze in the 347. 

About all you can say is, "that's racin."

Offline Papi

« Reply #832 on: September 24, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
So I may have missed it, but will Ack and Rocky get to run on Saturday?
I saw there was a meeting, but is it official?

Dean- Thanks for daily scorecard, that is a nice summary!

Look at all those 400 passes, geezus what a great week for those teams.  :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #833 on: September 24, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »
Thanks Ray Great job
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #834 on: September 24, 2010, 11:35:10 PM »
So I may have missed it, but will Ack and Rocky get to run on Saturday?
I saw there was a meeting, but is it official?

Dean- Thanks for daily scorecard, that is a nice summary!

Look at all those 400 passes, geezus what a great week for those teams.  :cheers:

Yep.  The Ack Attack should run sometime shortly after 8 ayem.  The lawnmower will also run, this time over real turf.  Yep.  According to the rules set forth by the Marquess of Queensberry, the mower must actually pass over grass...not to be confused with passing gas.  Gawd, I'm gettin goofy...the tireder I stay here the longer I get....or something.

So the mirth and frivolity will continue on the morrow.

And now onto the Target 550 update which will be announced in the Build Diaries section...but here it is anyway.  http://www.target550.com/gallery/59_fraternal_injectors/index.html

Offline desotoman

« Reply #835 on: September 24, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »
Thanks Ray,

For everything. I am sure Doc is proud of you.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #836 on: September 25, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
Hey, I made a run -- but don't have a timing slip.  I'll visit with James Rice in the morning and get one.  It's an historic event for me -- getting to make a pass on the international track.  Better still, though -- and dang it, I wish I had the photo --

The Speed Demon was making a no-power pass down the track - was pushed and let go by the push truck.  He passed me as I was traveling to the start line, and eventually he slowed down while I continued at full tilt boogie.  I knew the camera crew was riding alongside of the SD to get the footage they wanted -- in fact, I had been told to stay away from that group.  But I just couldn't help it -- I zigged left as the SD was coasting down and approached from the rear and PASSED THE SPEED DEMON!  I held a clenched fist (didn't think it'd be right to give him the finger) and zoomed past, blowing the air horn on the pit bike all the way.

I think I'm safe in saying that I am the only person in history that has overtaken and passed the Speed Demon on a pit bike while we were both moving down a race track.  No photographer handy, although I expect the filming crew got some footage of the event.  Sure hope they don't put that in the trash can -- give it to me instead.

So back to racing.  You've probably heard the story about the Ack bike -- that when they brought the spare engines in a crate -- they didn't check carefully and brought a brand-new Suzuki 'Busa engine, not one that'd been gone through and built.  The last I heard from their pit is that they'll take out one of the motors in the bike and replace it with the new one, remove the broken arts in the transmission of the motor already in the bike, and try a run with that kinda freaky combination.  The bike is handling well now, so if the motor situation is halfway decent -- maybe Rocky can lay down some good numbers.  If the bike goes well they'll make some passes.  If things don't run worth a crap -- they'll put it on the transporter and the season will end then and there.

The end result for you, good people, is that the Top Speed Shootout 2010 will end by mid-morning tomorrow.  Maybe by early morning if things aren't good.  Mike A. wants to make a nice and early (8AM) run, so tune in and find out what's going on.

Nancy and I have been coerced to help Murph do a photo for him in the morning at about 7.30, so I'll get as much information to you as soon as I can then.  Promise your household that you'll mow the lawn or rake the leaves later -- 'cause there's still some racing left in the Shootout.

Good night, everybody.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #837 on: September 25, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »

The Speed Demon was making a no-power pass down the track - was pushed and let go by the push truck.  He passed me as I was traveling to the start line, and eventually he slowed down while I continued at full tilt boogie.  I knew the camera crew was riding alongside of the SD to get the footage they wanted -- in fact, I had been told to stay away from that group.  But I just couldn't help it -- I zigged left as the SD was coasting down and approached from the rear and PASSED THE SPEED DEMON!  I held a clenched fist (didn't think it'd be right to give him the finger) and zoomed past, blowing the air horn on the pit bike all the way.

I think I'm safe in saying that I am the only person in history that has overtaken and passed the Speed Demon on a pit bike while we were both moving down a race track. 

Good night, everybody.

Jon,

LOL, if you can get a picture of that I would be more than happy to purchase one from you. Autographed of course, to hang on my wall. Too Cool.

Thanks,

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #838 on: September 25, 2010, 12:37:35 AM »
Jon I think you could have cut down on aero drag by turning your hat around.

This is my photo from the up sun side of the track and spectator area.

Larry
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:02:26 PM by hotrod »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #839 on: September 25, 2010, 12:59:18 AM »

I am sure they have torched some heads before. I think there is a picture of one Ray or Jon took at this last speedweek on Landracing.com.

Tom G.