Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 365792 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #375 on: September 22, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »
I believe Mike and the jet bike were invited by some very gracious organizers and some others helped with fees.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline DallasV

« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
I hate to sound saracastic,
JonAmo

Right  :evil:
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
Dang Dallas, I had you on ignore still.. :-D 

As Maxwell Smart would say

"Sorry about that Chief"  :cheers:

J

Offline JoshH

« Reply #378 on: September 22, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »
Someone drive to carquest and buy the spectre team a rattle can of flat black for the nose cone :-D

Na, battle scar… Chick’s dig’em  :mrgreen:

Offline DallasV

« Reply #379 on: September 22, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »
Dang Dallas, I had you on ignore still.. :-D 

As Maxwell Smart would say

"Sorry about that Chief"  :cheers:

J

No worries, I have me on ignore as well
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #380 on: September 22, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »
flat black is easy to find but orange :roll:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #381 on: September 22, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
Don't qoute me on this but the club decided that they would not accept a ama record. But they would accept a fim only.   I don't think this is proper thread to discuss this debate.  Search archives on this discussed in depth.  

Jonamo

Not trying to debate anything just trying to understand the rules to which they must conform to meet their goals for this event. They're not just going for a record but also a hat, that adds extra parameters. Just trying to learn in between the runs.

To put the Bonneville 200 MPH Club topic to rest, the minimum established for the FIM class we are racing in is 250 MPH. 

For Turbo or Nitrous..?

For Nitrous that is unreal however when you have Deluca running 250 "All motor" in a 2000cc class (he was under 1700cc I believe) it makes you wonder..what records are you guys going after on the turbo bike?  Or do you have more than one there..?

Good luck either way.

I thought the 250 speed was for the faired version of the turbo bike that Scott intends to run which makes sense and is perhaps the backup plan for Jamie? I'm just lost trying to figure out the "fuel" record since I have yet to locate the FIM info which I know I've seen in the past. They do divide turbo/non turbo right, even if they don't separate gas/fuel? Just thinking we would probably know if there was a fuel/nitrous only 250 record already out there.

Like I said, I'm just trying to learn! Hey I might want to do this next year! Everybody knows shop owners are independently wealthy!  :evil:
Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #382 on: September 22, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
the only drawback to this fantastic story is having to be so far ahead in the UK, so it is now bed time here! I will catch up again tomorrow. Well done Max for helping out...same as all the others who are working their bottoms off to get people racing down the salt. George you had better get a big number after all that teamwork! Go Rocky too! Really sorry to hear about Mike and his jet bike. Gabriel.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #383 on: September 22, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
If I might interrupt this kaffee-klatsch, the Speed Demon is on the trailer and heading to the north end of the track.  They've got the car loaded with the 300" motor, N/A, and geared for about 300 (so says Ian, the IT guy).  The record they'll be chasing is (I don't know the specifics but I think they were on the sheets I posted here the other day -- don't want to go looking right now) is either 231 or 239 (I've heard both on the FM radios here in the past five minutes).  It is the same record that Nish will now be running.  I'll post this and then tell you some other stories.

George Poteet is suited and in the car - they're getting ready to make a run.  Maybe ten minutes or so.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:00:55 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline k.h.

« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
Gabriel, some things are more important than sleep, even in Old Blimey.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #385 on: September 22, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
it's 229 mile & 231 kilo they will go for. Should be interesting.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: September 22, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
Speed Demon is running, canopy closed, crew vehciel is in the pits, car is moving.

Junior says  "Someone forgot to tell that motor it's only 300 inches!"

Through the zero.  

Car is accelerating, through the one mile, car is slowing, think they lost second gear.

Will retrieve the car and see what happened.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:07:20 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #387 on: September 22, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
After many technical difficulties. I seem to be back online.  I sorta feel like a frog in a blender, tho.  I been goin round and round in circles all day. 

Foto 1:  Mike Charlton reading the tech manual for the jet engine.

2:  The reason for the Ack Attack's leaning problems: a tire with built-in stagger.

3 & 4.  The Currie housing and Ford 9" rear end in the Demon and the Liberty air-shifted transmission.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #388 on: September 22, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
George Poteet must be fit to be tied right about now.  They think they just lost another gear, don't know if it's the rear end or the transmission.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: September 22, 2010, 05:14:08 PM »
Yeah -- the story about the Ack bike's lean.  Rocky was telling me how they thought it was this or that or the wind, or maybe even the doors on the rear.  Then they looked really closely (not as obvious as in Ray's photo -- when there's air in the tire) -- and the front had about a 3/8 shoulder on the right side, making the bike want to go to the left.  He said he was trying to steer, trying to lean, trying whatever he could think to try -- couldn't get it straight.  Too bad, too -- he said it's got way more power and should be a fun ride once they can go straight.

So on his run earlier today he saw a hunk of metal sticking out of the track.  Turns out it was part of the support/anchor for one of the old telephone poles - buried so deep they couldn't dig it out or even winchit out of the surface, so they ended up digging as deep as they could and then using a jaws of life-like tool to cut it off deep underground.  

Rocky's sure looking forward to a fast and fun ride in the bike.  Oh, yeah -- he also said that on that run one of the engines woudln't start -- so they left with one and were going to "bump" start it once going down the course.  That's when they found the object in the course.

They've just switched engines in the bike and are running one now (now it's off again).  They could run in about an hour -- if the wind would allow.  It's more than 3-5 mph now, and we all know Mike and Rocky won't run in a hurricane like that. 

Other -- Spectre has elected to change to the smaller motor, which is about 480".  They're wrenching as I type.

Salt is unlocked and we'll be closed for a while.  The only vehicle likely to run yet today is one or the other of the Scott Horner (not hornet) bikes.  Might be a half-hour, maybe more -- they're waiting for a part from town.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:15:46 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com