Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 365778 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #360 on: September 22, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
Ken says:  "No Oooomh".  The longer story:  They had added some weight to the front and the car handled much better.  They had turned up the boost a little bit - but the motor didn't like it and was soft after first and second.  Amir said it just didn't like third and fourth, even though he ran a 360 or so -- and still was gaining at the exit.  They'll check the data and see if it was just a typo in the program, then probably turn the car around and run it again.

The fancy rear end in the Speed Demon is still in the shop, Main tells me, so they'll run that small engine/no turbo on the 230 (or so) record.  That's the same record Nish will be chasing with their small motor, too.

The jet bike has gone home.  Mike came over, gave me a t-shirt, and said they had broken a part that's not available in the hardware aisle at Smith's, so it's back to Ohio and we'll see you next year.

Big News:  The Loctite crew is out here with a small ATV -- and they blew up the gearbox!  Don't tell corporate that they were on a timed run with it.  James Rice, in the timing tower, is willing to keep the timing slip he's got -- won't give it to the Loctite bosses if the guys here will pay enough. :evil:

The weather, for yor answer, is warmer than we had expected.  Mostly sunny although some clouds here and there.  Warm enough that Nancy just went to the trailer and took off her pants and blouse.

The course is the International, remember, and therefore not directly comparable to the Speedweek courses.  But -- that said, it's not as smooth as Speedweek/WoS.  I don't know how much dragging is being done overnight -- if any.  When Mike Cook is done with his present project I'll see if he has a comment.

We don't have anybody ready to run now, so we're on lunch break.  Ooops, wait!  Speed Demon just radioed -- are loading the car onto the trailer and will head to the north end to make a run with the 300" motor n/a.  You've got about a half-hour to work or nap.  I'll try to sound your wake-up alarm when it's nearly time to run.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:32:10 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #361 on: September 22, 2010, 03:47:59 PM »
103 people online right now waiting.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #362 on: September 22, 2010, 03:49:03 PM »
Here's the tai view of the jet bike as it trailers away from the 2010 Top Speed Shootout.  We'll see them again next year, I betcha:

Amir Rosenbaum drives the Spectre -- right past our pit and into his, about 30 feet to starboard from where we sit:

And here's the broken Loctite ATV on the tow strap behind Mike Cook's truck:

Still on lunch break -- Speed Demon still in the pit.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #363 on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
Sorry to hear Mike with the jet bike had to leave without making a pass, I am sure it really hurts the pocket book as well since I am sure he had to prepay an entry fee yet no runs were made...always next time.

John

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #364 on: September 22, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »
It's raining here, and moving west at 30 mph.

National Weather Service radar shows it moving northeast.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
Well, at least there will be an historical footnote to the 2010 Shootout for Mr. Charlton and company lighting up a jet bike in a motel parking lot.  Does he have a website or contact info for buying T-shirts or donations of parts?  I'll see if there's a way to get him some biodiesel for next time.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
Someone drive to carquest and buy the spectre team a rattle can of flat black for the nose cone :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »
To put the Bonneville 200 MPH Club topic to rest, the minimum established for the FIM class we are racing in is 250 MPH.  
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »
Well, at least there will be an historical footnote to the 2010 Shootout for Mr. Charlton and company lighting up a jet bike in a motel parking lot.  Does he have a website or contact info for buying T-shirts or donations of parts?  I'll see if there's a way to get him some biodiesel for next time.

http://www.mikecharlton.com/index.php  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline joea

« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »
in keeping with peanut gallery standards...

..sss...question..with the tire issue found, will rear ack doors go on or off...

...mps-f 1000 cc record 223+ ...mps G 1350 record 220 +....mps G 1650 minumum 220....guessing
mps F 1650 Bonn. 2 club minimum over 220..?

Joe :)

Offline k.h.

« Reply #370 on: September 22, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Thanks for the link on Mike Charlton.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
To put the Bonneville 200 MPH Club topic to rest, the minimum established for the FIM class we are racing in is 250 MPH.  

For Turbo or Nitrous..?

For Nitrous that is unreal however when you have Deluca running 250 "All motor" in a 2000cc class (he was under 1700cc I believe) it makes you wonder..what records are you guys going after on the turbo bike?  Or do you have more than one there..?

Good luck either way.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2010, 04:01:44 PM »
since the jet bike did not make a run does mike get any kind of refund.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #373 on: September 22, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »
May I offer my thanks to all reporting from the shoot out.  I have just caught up on your activities.

Whilst it looks as though the running of two cars in the same class will not arise, the position with regard to ratifying records has come about here in the UK where we follow FIA protocol.  I believe the following would have to have occured.  

If the first team put in their paperwork and paid the bill then the time of day when the new speed was set, as seen in the Stewards report, would be confirmed.  [So eventually Charles will have his speed acknowledged as an FIA international record, having bettered that of Bob S in Goldenrod by over 1%].  The Nish team would have to better the speed set by Charles by the 1% increase demanded in the rules because they are running later in the day or the following day.  And once again the paperwork and fees would need to be in order to see that speed ratified as an International record.  

If the second team were only to better the Goldenrod record by 1%, then they would have only been able to claim their speed for a ratified record if the earlier effort (by Charles) was eventually not 'homologated' or ratified.   I could not see this happening because of the manner in which this event is organised, but I would perhaps have advised the Nish team to consider seeking FIA ratification 'just in case' the Committe did not confirm the first record.  [Perhaps the Nish camp would not follow this advice as they would know they had been short of the speeds of Spirit of Rett.]  I am sure this case may arise at some time in the future if the shoot out continues.  It would apply to two bikes if they are in the same class!

In the UK, in an event I organised, the first driver set an outright UK record by exceeeding the standing record on the morning of the attempt by 1%.  Then his team partner in their second car broke the new figure by a further 1%, an hour and twenty minutes later.  The governing body ratified both records, and the faster speed still stands as the UK (non wheeldriven) best.

Malcolm, Derby, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

landracing

« Reply #374 on: September 22, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
I hate to sound saracastic, but don't you think Cook does everything in his power to make the track smooth already. If it could be dragged more Im sure he is all over it. However the salt conditions at either end may prevent any more smoothing due to lack of salt crust.

JonAmo