Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367300 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #330 on: September 22, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »
He cant run on the SCTA records at this meet however the Red hat can be awarded if the Bonneville 2 club minimum or record speed/average is met I believe.. :?

landracing

« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »
SCTA has NOTHING to do with handing out the RED HATS.  

SCTA does not even play a part in the event they are at. FIM ONLY. (or FIA)

The 200 MPH Club at this event gives out a hat by breaking a World Record, which must be over any minimum speed that the 200 MPH CLUB has on file OR breaking a record at an event on the Salt Flats which is goverened by an AUTHORIZED SANTIONING BODY..... FIM.... (FIA)

JonAmo

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #332 on: September 22, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
If the Turbo bike is running with fairings it would run on my Bonneville fim record of 252 I think?

Any news on the Nitrous bike condition?

Thanks Slim.. :cheers:

Sounds like I was on par regarding the hats then?  However can he get a Red hat for setting a world record at say 200.00 mph even if it is much slower than the SCTA club record?

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #333 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
Yeah -- I meant 1397 and 1363.    Read what I mean, not what I say, unless the two are the same.

No word yet on if Jamie will make a return run.  He's waiting and the 2-hour clock is running.  Spectre is about to tow to the far end to get ready for a run -- know that Jamie is on the clock and might decide to run at any time.

I talked with Terry Nish.  The water pump on the engine is belt-driven, and the belt came off on the return run and the engine got warm -- Mike reported the car nosed over a bit.  So -- that engine is the big one but has lots of runs on it - so they're going to take it out before trying another run and maybe hurting lots of stuff.  As Terry said: "That engine isn't a cheap date" -- so they'll let discretion be the better part of valor and swap it out.

They brought a 300-inch motor with them 'cause there's a late-90's class 9 record (Terry thinks that's the class) that's available (don't know the speed), so they're going to pull the big motor and put the little one in the car now.  

Post, then more.

In Spectre news, the car is California-based.  Amir's business is there (I lost track -- too many towns in that state) and near the water and the boating industry that's a big source of customers for him.  The engine is a 1973 528.5" Cadillac iron engine, twin turbos, cast iron crank, race gas, something in the neighborhood of 2,000 horsepower.  Fuel injection, front tires in line with one another.

This is the second year the team has run the car -- about 14 runs total.  The first year of competition both Kenny Hoover and Amir got their Blue 300 MPH Chapter hats.

No further word about the Jamie Williams bike.  The 2 hour clock continues to grind down the time.

The jet bike is back here on the salt -- started the motor once - sounded just about like it did last night in the motel parking lot.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:38:18 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »
If the Turbo bike is running with fairings it would run on my Bonneville fim record of 252 I think?

Any news on the Nitrous bike condition?

Thanks Slim.. :cheers:

Sounds like I was on par regarding the hats then?  However can he get a Red hat for setting a world record at say 200.00 mph even if it is much slower than the SCTA club record?

That would only be correct, ONLY if the 200 MPH Club does not have a Minimum in the class, sometimes the minimums are current record holders speeds.

JonAmo

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »
Spirit of Rett - going home
Nish - big motor and big speeds done
Spectre - only run 1:00 yesterday
Speed Demon - still thrashing and won't run today.

Is the show over for today?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
Am I reading this correctly http://bonneville200mph.org/images/2009bonneville200%20mphclubmcrecords.pdf ??

1650 MPS-F Bob Moreland Suzuki 214.033 2002

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2010, 01:48:06 PM »
Spectre is on the way to the far end for a run, so don't go too far away from the computer.  The Ack bike may well run -- but I guess they hurt something  on that aborted pass an hour ago.  The course is being swept very carefully -- Rocky might have discovered a piece of metal buried in the mud/salt.  Jamie Williams still sitting at the far end and I expect Scott Hornet is there doing the heavy thinking with Jamie.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
Mike..that is correct..

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
Scott Hornet.. giggle giggle... you must be thinking of him in his yellow leathers!

OK, so If I have this straight (yeah that whole SCTA link hit me on my way to pick up my sandwich) If he runs a set of 215's and that turns out to be faster then what ever the current FIM record is for his class then he'll get the FIM record & a hat, the 200 club minimum in the corresponding class (assuming there is one) will get bumped but it will correlate to an FIM record not an SCTA record as we're accustomed to seeing.

Do I have it?
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

landracing

« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2010, 02:04:25 PM »
Deb,
I think you got it... If he sets a new record in the FIM Class and its above the record and/or minimum listed on the 200 MPH Club website then the new minimum would be his record, however,

THERE IS A PROBLEM.

There must be a 200 mph representative there to help classify the bike according to what the 200 MPH Club classifies the bike. The rules are sometimes not interchangable. Specifically linked to gas or fuel. Since FIM doesn't care, then it should automatically go in the FUEL class for the 200 mph club since we cannot check the legality of the gas/fuel. There are other technicalities in regards to classifying the bike.

It's kinda a mess if you really think about it.

You have a handle on it Deb, but I really think we need to let a 200 mph Club Board member or the 200 mph club Motorcycle advisor comment on their stance.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
Ya ready for this?  For a red hat for Jamie he'll have to exceed the record/the minimum for the 200 MPH class that corresponds to the FIM classification system.  In this case:

The bike Jamie is on is a 1397 fuel but not blown bike.  FIM classification is the bike is liquid fueled (no difference 'tween gas and nitrous or whatever, as long as there's no blower of any kind).  The FIM displacement class breaks  are (approximately) 1350 cc and 2000 cc  -- but there's no break in between.  So -- Jamie is bringing a small butter knife to this fight, since he's running against a pretty high number, running against bikes up to 2k displacement.  I don't have the 2 Club minimums handy (don't want to go too far from this site), but now you know the story from an un-named local 2 Club person.

And Jon Amo -- you bring up a point I didn't discuss just now and don't have that little bit of information.  For sure - Jamie is running in what you and I and the SCTA would call a fuel class.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #342 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
Does MPS-F mean anything to FIM? . . . . . . Just curious.

When I was on the Bonneville 200 MPH Club Board there was a discussion about a vehicle at a private meet setting a record in a class which was not recognized by any of the "normal" sanctioning bodies. The driver of the vehicle in question never asked for entry into the Club and the BOD took no action. The club recognizes accomplishments on the Bonneville Salt Flats it is in their charter found on their Web page. Andy Green was recognized for his accompliments at Black Mountain by being an associate member. When he set the record in the Diesel Streamliner during a SpeedWeek meet at the 2 Club banquet he was proud to say he was now a true member.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #343 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
The Spectre 'liner has been covered extensively in the San Jose Mercury News both before and after Speedweek. This makes me think it's from somewhere around San Jose.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:03 PM »
JD, you're right about the FIM not having "Modified" or "Altered"in their classes -- this bike would be simply "partially streamlined".

The Williams bike is "fixed" and back on the transporter trailer, heading to the point where they'll start a return attempt.  There are 50 minutes remaining in the two-hour window of opportunity (my phrase).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:17:03 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com