Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367308 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »
JonAmo, thanks for answering my questions about engine swaps.  SSS, I stay up all night working on LSR things and no one else should do this.  Things get finished when I do this, although it is bad for the health.  Just asking someone the next day what they did during the night before was what I was implying.  Your coverage is appreciated.  It gets better each year.  

Offline ls7gto

• New folks
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
congrats to the  entire Spirit of  Rett team. 

good  luck to everybody, go  fast  , be safe !

thanks SSS

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2010, 08:08:12 AM »
I would like to add my congratulations to Terry and his team on their achievement. Also Charles and his team, what a result! With Ron and George also running over 400 this week, I hope one, or all, of them hits a big number before the end! Thnaks to Jon, Ray and the rest for their fantastic postings to keep all us information freaks happy!
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
Thanks for the awesome 2 wheel update Max! (congrats again on your record!)

Great pics SSS!

Love the summary Dean, thanks!

ok, time to get up kiddies, it's 8am EST! cockadoodledoooo..... we have racing to do! (having withdrawls already!) 

:evil:

Good luck today everyone! :cheers: Especially our 2 wheeled friends!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2010, 09:33:27 AM »
We're here, we're here.  I'd have typed a howdy earlier - but our sleep last night was interrupted by an interesting ROAR from the parking lot of the motel next to us last night.  Sure enough -- a familiar deep throbbing rumble, then a WHOOOOSSHHH -- and then bright lights!  Yep -- Mike Charlton lit off the jet motor in the  parking lot of the Knight's Inn.  Big surprise?  Yes -- and bigger still surprise was that the police didn't show up to try to dissaude him from doing it again.

So here we are, and the Ack bike is warming the motors over in their pit.  Nearburg is going to go home today, Spectre is cleaning the bodywork of the car and going to run this morning, and Nish team is in their pit working, working.  No word on what the day's plans are for Speed Demon -- other than what we knew yesterday.

That's that.  Gotta go take a few more sunrise photos.  Stay tuned, boys and girls.

And now that that's done, it must be another big day in the works -- the helicopter from the film crew is flying laps around the pits.  Dang noisy thing. . .
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:40:01 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
Slim,

My sincere thanks to you, Ray and all the others for keeping us on the salt (in spirit).

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline k.h.

« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
Yesterday was historically significant.  Can't wait for today's racing.  Best site on the web, this is!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »
Superb reporting SSS & RTR. Another day coming that I won't get much done. I can't wait... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline mkilger

« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
they need to space out these events a bit so I can get something done on the roadster, last week WOS and now Cooks but history was made yesterday thanks to Mike Cook and Slim we all got to see it almost like being there.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »
Here's your morning's second update.  Mike Akatiff and the bike are at the south end of the course.  They have been advised that the wind is cycling, on a 20-minute period, from zero to about 5 mph headwind northeast - to - southwest.  Akatiff will wait to see what develops -- but the bike is ready to run.  They were here 'til about 12.30 last night.

Nish team is running the engine in the pit, which is upwind from our location.  Ah, nice aroma -- nothing like 10% on top of methanol to get the nose working first thing in the mornig, hey?

Spectre is working on the car right next to us.  Will run soon -- no idea of just when.

Ron Main reports that the rear end got all-night-long driven to the Ferguson shop.  When Fergusons got there this morning they found the two crew guys sleeping in the truck, in the lot, and as of right now the parts are on the "operating table".  They'll fix the part, pack it on ice for the long ride so it'll be in prime condition for the "transplant" later today.  (Disclaimer:  Those are Main's terms, not mine.  I'm only the reporter here).  Anyway, the Speed Demon is certainly not down for the count at the Top Speed Shootout 2010.

And that's that for now.  Nobody running in the next half hour.  Get some work done so your bosses doesn't get Plymouthed at you later when you're watching this website later on today.

New news:  Nish just pulled the car towards the far end.  Gonna make a run soon, I guess.  No time forecast yet.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:34:02 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2010, 10:42:16 AM »
thanks for the great work sss and Ray the Rat.  The IGNITION3 film crew is headed up today and I leave in the AM by air.....can't wait to join you guys on the salt.....

Keep up the great reporting.....Go Team Ack!!
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Freud

« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:39 AM »
IGNITION3    Did u receive The Real Deal?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
Here are a few photos from RtR -- including the turbo and the "new" Currie 9" rear end for the Speed Demon.

Yeah, I know -- we all enjoy taking sunrise photos out here.  It's so easy, too. . .

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »
real deal???  freud
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
The Nish team is in position at the far end of the course, and Mike is getting suited up and preparing to make a run.  From that radioed information I'll guess they'll be running in fifteen minutes or so.

It must be fifteen minutes, 'cause Mike is in the car and they're starting the motor.  The pits and the rest of the course are all on "lockdown" -- which is what term we're using to mean that nobody's allowed to roam around.  

Car is moving.

Car is off the push truck and under power.

Through the zero and gaining speed,  through the one mile mark,  by the two, still accelerating by the three and sounding strong.

Entry speed 401   kilo 407   mile  407

High speed chute might have come out early -- around the 5 1/2   engine off, coasting

Car is in the pit.

Entry 401   kilo  407.1   mile  407.0  exit  412.5   

BEST RUN YET!  They've got about 55 minutes to turn around -- if they choose to do so.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:06:40 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com