Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367507 times)

Offline joea

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
..sss...your quote.."Don't expect too much"...

problem is...since your there...dont sell yourself or others short...!!!

what you may not fully realize is that, many that come here, dont know much
of what has been or who has been before...its a global audience...!!!

additionally...what you may shrug off as meaningless is often not...ie even
seemingly "scant".."minute"..details are often a priceless discovery for folks
in various aspects of a build or even as just a "voyeur' of speed......

there is simply a treasure trove of gems just waiting for you to "UNCOVER"....

landracing

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
Slim,

Any change you can get what the FIA and FIM classes of each are going to be, who hold the current record in the FIM / FIA classes. I think I know but but many are in the dark on what they are.

Entrant, FIM / FIM class and maybe what the scta equivalent would be? That is some good information that we can soak in. I think the Markley FIA record was set during a SCTA World Finals meet some years ago, same time period when Al Teague, Vesco and Danny Boy did theres.

If you make it over to Ack Attack ask Mike about his struggles on the Dyno and what he finally found as the fix. These guys were thrashing two weeks ago on finding the problem, even went back to all the stuff from a year ago and took off a bunch of power enhancers for this meet do find the problem.

Did Nish come with the larger Klein engine or the same one from last year. I heard rumors that he increased the displacement again.. Don't know if it was true. How is he solving his "More Miles per dollar dilemma?"

I thought the Jet Bike was going to be back again this year also but I have not heard any mention of it in the list of people attending?

Keep the tidbits coming as people supporting the site are relying on them to help cure their disease.

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 09:29:43 PM »
I've been putting this post together and see that you've asked for some details, Jon.  Dave Petrali is going to give me a bunch of pages of data tomorrow - including previous record holders, if he can get them to me from the format he's got them.   As for the Nish engine -- I got the photos (below) -- will try to get answers if the shots aren't enough.  I'll talk to Ack -- chatted more with Rocky and Ken at the meeting.  No word about the jet bike -- so no news is no news.  I'll ask -- but haven't heard anything about it.

On to my post - - -

Well, I've narrowed down this evening's photo session to about three dozen shots.  First of all -- here's a close up of what the Nish team is bringing to the shootout:

And here's a few shots of what the racers will have to run on in the next few days.  These photos were shot near the south end of the 11-mile course.  This is the worst part of the course, by far.  My hat's in there for a bit of perspective.

Dave Petrali, the USAC official that officiates for FIA here, first appeared on the salt in 1961.  This makes FIFTY YEARS that he's been out here (no, not all fifty of 'em, but most of the years 'tween then and now).  Mike Cook presented Dave with a plaque to commemorate the anniversary, and Dave responded with cake for everyone.

He even cut and served the cake:

Loctite is now an official sponsor of the Shootout, and here are a pair of photos of Loctite's people on the scene.  They're handing out caps, shirts, and tomorrow will have "goodie bags" of product -- including new stuff that isn't on the market, they told us.

Here are a bunch of shots of who's here.  If you don't recognise 'em - ask and I betcha someone will tell you who's who.

Before I go on, whaddaya think of a driver meeting with chairs, tables, and shade?

Mike Cook Jr.:

Rocky Robinson and Ken Puccio from the Ack Attack bike:

Mike Akatiff and the new Top Speed Shootout trophy:

Mr. Nish:

Mike Crawford from Wendover's Car Quest store:

George Poteet:

And last of this series -- Nancy was there, too:

That's it for this evening.  Early to Pizza Hut, early to bed, early to the track.  See you tomorrow -- when the Shootout begins.  Gonna be a real shootout, too -- with both Nish and Nearburg chasing the same record. This is gonna be great!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »
you've got the job of a life time.
thanks for the up dates.
Ray C Wheeler

landracing

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
Thanks Jon for the info.

Nish versus Nearburg -

Historically you would have to put lets say 5:1 on Nearburg.

Nearburg at World Finals went 402.955 as exit speed on a 5 mile course. Average speed in the mile on that run was 394 and still picking up speed. I would not think they would have came with same HP levels. And if course offers then another mile for speed, seems logical they could have a good chance. And they have always made full course passes.

Nish however at the Shootout I do not remember it under power past the 2 mile when using the big Klein engine. (year one low oil pressure put in smaller engine, year two lost rod, year three sucked a valve) did I miss a year?

There seems to be a new addition on top of Nish's frame like a breather catch can? Is that new?

JonAmo

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »
+1

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Good morning, one and all.  It's about 25 after 7 here at the pit end of the International course.  We got here to see the Nish car being buttoned up and towed away, crew and all in the various support vehicles.  So - no answers to your questions.  I try not to be intrusive when a team is in the "ready to run" mode -- they've got better things to do than mess around with pesky questions.

Mike Charlton with the jet bike IS on the way here.  I hear there were some big fire in the SLC wooded area yesterday and he got balled up in the traffic mess - but he's on the way.  Amir Rosenbaum arrived sometime 'tween when we left here last night and this morning, and the crew is setting up his pit now.  No other bikes have showed up -- no word on who might be on the way.

It's about 60F and wind is from the north about 10 mph -- blowing right down the course from far end to the pits.

I'll post and add more.

Ken Rappaport happened to be near the Nish car when they fired it this morning -- reported the "aroma" of the fuel implies they're running "quite a load" in the tank.  Hmmmm.

As for Nish versus Nearburg -- at World of Speed Nearburg ran 370 -- shifting into high gear just before the five mile, implying he had it geared for this longer course.  Take that for what it's worth, but he's got lots left, hmmm?  And that was all-motor -- no spray.  We'll see soon -- Nish should be to the other end and ready to run by 8 our time.  It's 7.30 now.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:31:37 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
Tell ray if he wants a picture of it under power get it before the two mile just in case

Thanks jon for early report goes great with my coffee.       .

Jonamo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
Nish is getting into the suit and they're readying him and the car.  Wind has dropped, too.  

Don't forget that we're also pit stewards, so right before a run we've gotta chase around and herd folks away from the "hot" area.  I'll get as many posts as I can, folks.

PS  Glen, you're covered.  Love, Loctite.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
Nish is getting into the car.  Wind is bouncing all over.  Lockdown.

Starting the engine.  Engine is running.  

Other news:  Charles Hennekam, a/k/a FIM Charlie, just arrived.  Good to see him -- it's been a full year.

8-9 mph headwind for Nish right now.  The car is just now coming off the push truck.

Car is under way.  Through the two, sounds like he's clicked it off.  More in a few seconds.

Coasting through the three mile.  Jon, sounds like you were right in telling Ray where to take photos.

Speed Demon engine has been started to warm up.  The car is still buttoned in the pit, but the engine's running.  No word on why the Nish car shut off.  No parts hanging out of the car.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:22:33 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
They're going to push back to the start up there at the Floating Mountain end and try again.  Must have been something minor.  They'll try again.  They called Ron Main and asked if he minded if they gave it a re-try -- he reminded them there are only a pair of cars ready to run (Nish and Main) so go for it.  I guess the Speed Demon engine warmup was just a quick test.  Sure smells good around that exhaust pipe. . .

I'll report more when the Nish car is back at the start up there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
Okay, Jon - and everyone.  Here's a little bit of FIA stuff.  I've been talking with Amir and Dushanka, his wife, whose name I'm not sure I spelled right, but what the heck, I gave it a try.  Amir says they've made a big change to the Spectre car -- in that they've built dollies to transport it without having the tires on the ground.  I'll take pictures later.  In the meantime, they're running Class 10 and 11, group one.  Blown, with class 10 being the 485" motor in the up-to 485-inch class, and the class 11 motor being the 529.  They're allowed to run any fuel -- but just use gas.

Other stuff -- Poteet and Main are loaded on the transporter and are now leaving the pit to go to the north end of the track.

15-17 mph cross wind right now.  Nancy has noticed a big wardrobe difference 'tween SCTA/USFRA events and the shootout -- at those events folks wear white t-shirts.  Here at the shootout -- the color of choice is black.  

Here's a bit of the Poteet/Main pit:

And here's what Loctite has at this party:

Winds are 13-17 coming out of the crotch in the mountains now.  Body is back on the Nish car, so we might be getting close.  Poteet/Main on the course moving towards the start up there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:04:17 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
Wind has dropped a little -- down to about 12 or so at the tower.  Mike Nish just asked for the number -- might be ready in another 15 minutes.

Ack Attack has one engine running now -- nice to hear someone fired up.  Wind is continuing to die on the course -- zero here in the pits.  Speed Demon is nearing the far end.

Scott Horner just texted -- said the Williams/Horner team is leaving SLC now.  Be here in a few hours.  Good -- another race team coming for the Shootout!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:17:51 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 11:23:39 AM »
Course is locked down, pits are clear, Nish is in the car and ready to start the engine.  Wind is dying down -- less than 3 mph from the mountains at the tower.  Engine is running.

Canopy is on the car, car is moving.

On the good salt, car off the push truck, coming at us.  Easy on the throttle, starting to get into it,  nice rooster tail.

Through the two mile, shut it off.  Coasting through the three, still moving fast, no idea why he's shut off again.  Through the four mile.

Through the timed stretch at 122 mph.  Fire trucks chasing and now starting to catch up.

He's a half mile from the pit and being pushed in.  I'll report on what's what.  

Speed Demon is about 15 minutes from being ready -- icing the intercooler right now.

Kenny Hoover is saying the Spectre might run a test later -- just a test.  Akatiff wants NO wind so he's only a maybe for today, Nearburg won't runm 'til tomorrow.  Spectre is just doing some dolly tests right now.

Here's Nish rolling into the pit:

Mike Charlton has just arrived on the Salt.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:39:15 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
By the other way, I'm not posting all of the photos we're taking -- but many.  So if you'd like to see all of the shots from out here at the shootout,, follow this link to Photobucket:

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/Top%20Speed%20Shootout%202010/

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com