Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 366928 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #1095 on: September 27, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
Way kool, Drew.  It was good to see ya.

I dunno if anyone has posted the Youtube video of Scott Horner's 240 mph run...but here it is.  The amount of wheelspin is unreal.  If he'd been able to hook up, I figger he coulda run over 260.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0CPkB7hhk

One mo' thing.  I've created a test shot at a slide show, using the photos I shot; some were posted here, some were not.  I'll letcha know when it's available on the landracing server.  The one I just did is in .wmv form...and if ya don't like instrumental rock music (Jeff Beck, Edgar Winter, Joe Satriani) be prepared to mute the sound.

Offline Jimbo

• New folks
« Reply #1096 on: September 27, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXAWdeRLsMo

This is Bobby Cleveland with the new Lawn Mower record 96.529 mph He got it back from the BRIT Don Wales 87.833mph

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #1097 on: September 27, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
Wow what a ride for Scott if I didn't know that it was a bike I could swear that it was a roadster
Mike cook jr

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #1098 on: September 27, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »
Drew no mention of your rental car :)
Mike cook jr

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1099 on: September 27, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
If I put a wing and a wind screen on my John Deere mower my neighbors would know I am nuts. LOL
I say LSR in any form that's wheel driven is cool. Good show all last week at the shoot out,
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline WhereTheHellisMurph

• New folks
    • WhereTheHellisMurph
« Reply #1100 on: September 27, 2010, 09:32:25 PM »
Hey Ray,I posted Scotts vid on my YouTube acc.Got the vid from Scott on Saturday,thanks for posting here,my bad.... :-D
Shoulda posted it here first !!!!!!!!
He`s gonna give me the rest of the vids from the weeks runs soon as he gets situated.
Thanks again for the pic brother..............

ODAAT.......

Be Well
Murph

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1101 on: September 28, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
the reporting was like being there.
guys it was great reading.

hopefully i did the donation right this time--
new to paypal.

good time for everyone else that might have
forgotten , in all the excitement , to
donate to this site now.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1102 on: September 28, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
and what i forgot--

congrats to all who set those high speeds.

sorry to here about your issues, crusher

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #1103 on: September 28, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
One of the fun things about people reading landracing is how fast the information arrives. I was getting text messages and phone calls asking this and that after runs. One of the crew members from a rival team sent me a voice mail after two of what turned out to be our final three runs offering congratulations on a great effort, and more or less condolences on our getting close but coming up short. We had one more run left in us, and after that a second voicemail came sounding somewhat surprised but congratulating us none the less. Thank you Jon and Nancy and Ray for doing such a great job.

Each morning and each evening we passed by LandsEnd Linda and shared stories of the day's events. She's such a great, warm person. She never gave up on us even when we didn't know if we had anything left. Thank you Linda...

A special THANK YOU goes out to Mike Akatiff and the crew and Top 1 Oil for allowing me the opportunity of a lifetime. I'm fortunate to be involved with these people and it is because of them that the Ack Attack is the world's fastest motorcycle. We had our share of problems from tire failures to motor changes to a stubborn tranny that just wouldn't shift. Nobody gave up and in the final hour we somehow pulled it off. I can only imagine how fast that thing could really go had it had all 6 gears and two fresh motors instead of only the one that was changed. The press guys, Brian Leckey, Vince, and the rest worked their butts off out there. Between helicopters flying, cameras being mounted everywhere, and their ever present cheery attitude, it made it all worth it.

The folks from Loctite plus Mike Cook, Mike Junior and the rest put on the best meet on earth for guys like us fortunate enough to get to run on the ultimate race course. Thanks to everyone involved!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #1104 on: September 28, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
Rocky,

Congrats on what you and the team were able to accomplish in the last hours of the meet.  :cheers:

Sad part is we may never see it run again if Mike and the team hold true to the original plan and nobody takes the record away.

Either way it's been a hell of a ride!!  :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1105 on: September 28, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
Rocky, I shared the same experience with Don Vesco,........butt there were only about 6 people there.

At the end of the last pass we were at the 6 or 7 mile marker, waiting with a fire extinguisher because he

knew he would be onfire at the end of the run. He told us where he would stop.  I did the honorable thing.  

I let Marlo Treit have the fire  extinguisher and I stayed back to do the historic  fotos.

The difference was that the only people that knew what had happened was Kawasaki.  They were paying the bill

and as soon as we made it to town that night, Don called them.

EXCITEMENT.........certainly.  It was 318 MPH. The first record above 500KPH.

Don's Fanbase holding their breath...........only the guy that had his roadracer in Don's shop and wondered when Don

would get it done.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:58:04 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline rlague

« Reply #1106 on: September 28, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1107 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
For the Shootout we made up some coffee cups for Mike Cook - to give to the participants.  I've attached a scanned image of one of them.  The edges are slightly rounded -- that's why the focus is a bit soft there.

So - we're going to make a run of these mugs available as souvenirs of the Shootout - for $10 each plus shipping.  The back side of the originals was blank = but on the ones you can buy (without having to go 400 mph in a car or 97 on a lawnmower) there'll be a list of the top speeds and records of the four cars and three bikes.  If there's room I'll even put the lawnmower's data on there, too.  They'll be available in red, green, blue, black, orange, and pink.

If you'd like a cup (or more) to help remind you of the fun that was the Top Speed Shootout 2010 -- get in touch.  Payment by Paypal or check mailed to our address will be fine.

We won't be back from Bville until the 13th (or so) of October, so you've got plenty of time to contemplate your order quantity.  How about this idea -- print out this post and hand it to your wife with the quantities and colors marked.  Then act really surprised at Christmas when one gift includes some really memory-laden cups.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #1108 on: September 28, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
Here is a clip of I believe the first run by Ack Attack on Saturday.......

http://www.youtube.com/ignition3#p/a/u/0/aJUoFMeMTqo
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1109 on: September 28, 2010, 09:37:51 PM »
Folks, I've just finished writing a four-page precis of the bike side of the top Speed Shootout - and will be sending it to one of the Forum members that'll be attempting to get it to the world's media for publication.  I've already sent (yesterday) the article about the cars.

Once I get the thing sent to Jim I'll try to remember to post it here -- but since I've copyrighted it I might instead suggest that if you'd like it - to give to the media in your town or area -- that you contact me directly and I'll send it along to you marked with my copyright.  Drop a PM or email to me and I'll get it to you before the end of the day I receive the request.  Nancy and I leave for WF tomorrow evening - and we'll have, as usual, the laptop with us so we can stay in touch and respond to requests.

It's late and we're heading to bed.  I'll check tomorrow, of course, for your requests.  It's easy to get the hometown folks to use material like this -- they like to have filler material that they didn't have to write.  I'll give suggestions on how to get them to run it.

G'night.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com