Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 365790 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #1080 on: September 26, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
I think Rocky made that last pass with just three gears.  Earlier in the week he had trouble with first so started leaving the truck in second.  The tuner put a little more in the bottom end for second gear - so with a good shove from Mike Rocky got moving well. 

And at the end of the meet one engine didn't shift into fifth (maybe it was both) so they swapped engine and rear sprockets (there's one on either side of the drive wheel) to wind up with a ratio where they'd get that 385 in fourth.  Yeah, that's really tall - but it worked.  He might have got to 400 or more if he had had a good amount more of track -- evidenced by the still-increasing speed at the end of his run -- but now we'll never know, 'cause next time the bike runs (if ever) -- conditions won't be the same no matter how hard they try to duplicate 'em.

He sure does know how to ride that bike.  Like - the two times he got it heeled over and a bit sideways leaving the line.  You know as well as I that there's no room for body english in there (in any 'liner, car or bike) - but he caught it and got back on the straight and true within a few hundred yards of where he had the "issues".

With only three shifts - he got it into "high" gear early enough that he (later) told us that he knew he was on a fast run, pinmned the throttle and enjoyed the ride.  Lucky stiff -- wouldn't it be great to be able to ride a race vehicle like that - the fastest motorcycle in the world?

We're at O'Hare now, awaiting the puddle-jumper plane that'll take us back to way up north.  I'm part way done with a press release about the Shootout -- I'll send it to the group of you that has requested it that way, and I'll remind the rest of youse that I'll be happy to do what I can for your local media.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1081 on: September 26, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
Jon add me to the list for your media report. You and Nancy get a well deserved rest and we will see you at the WF.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Ivan S

• New folks
« Reply #1082 on: September 26, 2010, 05:19:37 PM »
I think Rocky made that last pass with just three gears.  Earlier in the week he had trouble with first so started leaving the truck in second.  The tuner put a little more in the bottom end for second gear - so with a good shove from Mike Rocky got moving well. 

And at the end of the meet one engine didn't shift into fifth (maybe it was both) so they swapped engine and rear sprockets (there's one on either side of the drive wheel) to wind up with a ratio where they'd get that 385 in fourth.  Yeah, that's really tall - but it worked.  He might have got to 400 or more if he had had a good amount more of track -- evidenced by the still-increasing speed at the end of his run -- but now we'll never know, 'cause next time the bike runs (if ever) -- conditions won't be the same no matter how hard they try to duplicate 'em.

He sure does know how to ride that bike.  Like - the two times he got it heeled over and a bit sideways leaving the line.  You know as well as I that there's no room for body english in there (in any 'liner, car or bike) - but he caught it and got back on the straight and true within a few hundred yards of where he had the "issues".

With only three shifts - he got it into "high" gear early enough that he (later) told us that he knew he was on a fast run, pinmned the throttle and enjoyed the ride.  Lucky stiff -- wouldn't it be great to be able to ride a race vehicle like that - the fastest motorcycle in the world?

We're at O'Hare now, awaiting the puddle-jumper plane that'll take us back to way up north.  I'm part way done with a press release about the Shootout -- I'll send it to the group of you that has requested it that way, and I'll remind the rest of youse that I'll be happy to do what I can for your local media.

SSS - thanks for the superb blow-by-blow reporting all the way through the Top Speed Shootout, it is really appreciated.

saltfever

« Reply #1083 on: September 26, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »
Think about it. . .

Y’all have seen that stack of a dozen sprockets on Ack Attack’s work bench on page 70. We know the ratio had to be tall to get those MPH numbers in FOURTH gear!

Now reflect back about two weeks ago when Mike and crew were stuffing the trailer with spare parts and tools. One crew member picks up the stack of sprockets and says to Mike. ”Hey Mike do we need all these gears? If everything is running right the little ones are probably good for 400-410 mph”.  Mikes reply, “sure, why not!”   :-D :-D
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:47:43 PM by saltfever »

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #1084 on: September 26, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »
Hey,

For all those Guests hanging around this week, that enjoyed the EXCELLENT coverage of this event send Jon (aka SSS) some $$$'s so that he can continue this type of reporting.

It doesn't cost anything to participate in this Forum (if you so wish) but the information on this Website is PRICELESS!

Thanks again Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a week.

Tom

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1085 on: September 26, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
If you happen to catch Dave Despain's program, Wind Tunnel, he did a 20 second piece on Ack Attack and also Spirit of Rett. Nothing about the other 3 cars that went 400 but at least something.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #1086 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »
I saw it we re-wrote history last week when I say we I mean everyone involved we changed more then one page in that book too. But at least I got caught up on nacsar F1 ( don't care ) but they pay the bills  :-D
Mike cook jr

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1087 on: September 26, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
If you happen to catch Dave Despain's program, Wind Tunnel, he did a 20 second piece on Ack Attack and also Spirit of Rett. Nothing about the other 3 cars that went 400 but at least something.

Rex

This was 100 percent due to Jim the Texican's hard work as a press agent.  ^5 to ya, granddad.  :)  He busted his butt to get local AND national coverage.  He deserves some big time credit for getting LSR into the media.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #1088 on: September 26, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
New news headline on Rocky's website:  http://www.rocky-robinson.com/

Click on the box in the upper right hand corner to watch their video of the run.

Maybe when the dust and excitement settles, he'll elaborate on Top 1 Oil's session at Cook's.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:38:48 PM by k.h. »
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1089 on: September 26, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »
...and then there was today.  Oh, how I wanted to stay in bed.  Solly, Cholly.  Up and at 'em.  Car show to shoot.  And shoot I did.  I almost got shots of all cars.  Still managed to get 450 shots, go thru 3 sets of flash batteries (cuz I had to shoot almost every shot with flash from the shady side cuz they were under trees in a park that created variegated light and shadow.  Sux.

But here are a few.  Sorry about the poor image quality but the 500kb limit kept bitin me on the azz.

must sleep now

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1090 on: September 26, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »
New news headline on Rocky's website:  http://www.rocky-robinson.com/

Click on the box in the upper right hand corner to watch their video of the run.

Maybe when the dust and excitement settles, he'll elaborate on Top 1 Oil's session at Cook's.

The video is from 2008
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #1091 on: September 27, 2010, 12:12:45 AM »
Ooops!!!  I though it looked familiar . . .  :oops:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1092 on: September 27, 2010, 04:15:04 AM »
Who was asking about a slide show with photos of the event and music?  I've created one that uses an html file as a wrapper for a flash swf file.  It's 20 mb and I'd prefer not to host it on my server, since my puny DSL line has very limited bandwidth.  I used all the web-quality images I created...some of which never got posted.

I know there are some things I could do to improve it like changing the names of the files to something more informative or maybe using a different development tool (I just snagged one as I was having an insomnia attack: Flash Sideshow Maker Freeware.

I added some music.  I know that not everyone will like my choices: Jeff Beck: Roy's Toy (tribute to Roy Brizzio, builder of most of Beck's collection of Deuces), Edgar Winter: Frankenstein (seemed fitting with the Nish Frankenstein liner) and Joe Satriani: Cool #9...just cuz I like it.

Anyone willing to host it in its present, half-completed state?

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #1093 on: September 27, 2010, 09:48:13 AM »
So anyone know if fourth gear in the ACK is a 1.0 ratio or under that.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline AHG

« Reply #1094 on: September 27, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
What an absolutely awesome week of FAST racing.
The Ack Attack team worked VERY hard for six days fighting gremlins,
and overcoming all odds took the prize.

Though I myself do not have a horse in the race; it was great seeing existing friends
and making many new ones at this year's Landspeed Shootout.

Mike Cook is a true racer's racer.

For me to be able to once again personally lay my hands on world record breaking engines
is my personal thrill of the whole thing.

This is without a doubt the World's greatest racing, and involves the World's greatest racers, tuners, and crews.

I feel blessed to be able to be a small part of it.

Hope to see ya next year
Drew  :-D
AMA/F.I.M. technical steward

~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles