Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367422 times)

Offline peglegcraig

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #1050 on: September 26, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
I have had house guests from N.Z. for the past three weeks, today I had to get them to LAX for the return home. We stayed glued to the Put'er for the past two days waiting to catch the news. But had to leave at noon today, just knowing ACK and Rocky were gonna do something big. On the way home, stuck in traffic wondering for hours, got home at 8pm. Poured a drink and dialed up Landracing.com, I saw that the posts had gone from 60 to 70 and started eagerly reading.
 Thank you Slim,Nancy and Ray, a fantastic story and you brought it home for all of us!
 Come on you cheap lurkers, join up and send these hard working people some dough, they earned it!
 ACK and Rocky, You guys showed some real grit this week, way to get things done!
 Worlds Fastest Motorcycle and Worlds Fastest Rider, AGAIN. I can't imagine how it must feel. 
 Congratulations!
PLC

Offline JoshH

« Reply #1051 on: September 26, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
My god... What week!!! I don't know about you guys but I'm exhausted. This is what racing is all about - the diversity that that all these crews faced was something. ALL these big numbers were truly earned!!!

All is right in my world! Congratulations all around!

Josh
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:12:01 AM by JoshH »

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #1052 on: September 26, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »
...they're gonna put in position and wait for a wind opportunity (well, lack thereof) and go for the whole enchilada.  Ack said he didn't come here to go home saying to himself, "I wish we'd tried...."
Patience and perseverance That's how you do it. Congratulations ACK
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline TINY

« Reply #1053 on: September 26, 2010, 01:01:03 AM »
I was just talking to Mike Cook & he was telling me the lawnmomer was not part of the shoot out.They had a special deal with & Ack needed 1 more day & worked it out withthem .Also there was a question about Mike Charlton & how much he paid Mike said could not charge him because he did not get out to run.Again super job by Cooks Land Speed Events 7 great coverage & pictures from Slim & Ray.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1054 on: September 26, 2010, 01:28:52 AM »
If, a couple of days ago, you had told me that something could stick me to the computer. I wouldn't have believed it. Today, start a cut, refresh, finish the cut, refresh. Besides the regular winners trophy the Ack crew should get some kind of Emmy for best dramatic record runs with a happy ending.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1055 on: September 26, 2010, 01:42:19 AM »
You think Rock, Ack and the crew are tired? They have adrenalin to lift them.

Therat, Slim, Nancy: Exhausted. Running on empty and still made the finish line.

Way to go, Folk.  First hand reports with power and rapidity.

I'm certain the racer in SSS made him change his airline reservations. He would have died had he gone home yesterday.

God Job, All.

FREUD
Since '63

saltfever

« Reply #1056 on: September 26, 2010, 05:12:16 AM »
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S Mike, Rocky, and the whole Ack Team.

Jon and Ray you made it "live and personal" all week long. Some glib magazine article 2 months from now could never capture the essence of the salt experience in the way that you managed to pull it all together. Jon the way you interacted to personal requests and got us information added a dimension that I have never experienced before with broadband. Great job and many thanks to you all.

Offline gerry jenkinson

• New folks
    • Vindeo
« Reply #1057 on: September 26, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »
May I add my congratulations to everyone. The event reporting, pictures and the Ack team's performance have been exceptional and very gratefully received here in England.
Next year is going to be interesting.
Thanks again
Gerry Jenkinson

Offline JackB750

« Reply #1058 on: September 26, 2010, 07:31:15 AM »
Brilliant, accurate, and complete (did I mention fast?) coverage by Slim, Nancy, and Ray. Can't thank you all enough! And to Ack as well as the 400+ liners.......well, "congratulations" hardly seems adequate. You have rocked our world!  :cheers:
PerformanceWerx-Chasing Motorcycle Land Speed Records ;

Offline Texican

« Reply #1059 on: September 26, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
   " This ain't your mothers cooky cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA."Might I add the infamous IRL?
Since "King Tony" turned it into a spec racing series, they now contribute very little to excite this viewer.
We don't need any more organ donors or spinal cord injuries.

Jim

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1060 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »
"Patience and perseverance !!!!!!!!

For years my credo was

Enthusiastic, Persistent, Patience!!!!  :cheers:  :cheers:

usually the winner is the last guy to quit  :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1061 on: September 26, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »
New record Mile 376.156 Kilo 376.363!!!

I'm safe back home....and Rocky done it at last..(and I was not there, sniff)....congrats to him and the whole team.

By the way....this is not only a new record.....Rocky's run are the first bike over 600 kph.....the Lucky 7 with Chris Carr had missed the 600 by a friction....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:58:34 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1062 on: September 26, 2010, 10:57:34 AM »

Nice photo of Pork Pie, Ray -- it made Nancy laugh LOUDLY.

Yeah, I asked Ray to make this picture....due to this, that it's though lying under the"helmet" and using the camera to the same time..

.....but this helmet took me in streamlined class....and I was never aware that my nose could called streamline.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #1063 on: September 26, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
I went a little bit through the Shootout pages....yeah, thanks to Jon and Ray.....but, please don't forget

Mike Cook and Mike Cook Jr. - without this two, we would not have this great meet....which was the fastest (wheel driven) meet of all time....what a fantastic meet.

Sorry, Mike's - you was very busy with Roger's Camaro when I left Friday afternoon, so I couldn't say bye bye to you personally....
Thanks again, you two done a great job on this meet.

At last, a big thank you to Dave Petrali for his great birthday present, filling a gap in my historic archive I tried to close for the last 25 years. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:34:35 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #1064 on: September 26, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
I just got home and finally have a fast internet connection. It was a fantastic meet, and Mike Cook & Mike Cook Jr. and all the other people that made it happen should be congratulated on a great event. Thanks should also go to Locktite and other advertizers for pitching in as active sponsors for the cars and for this sort of event.

All the cars and bikes worked very hard and set some very impressive records.

Now to get a few hours sleep then to start digging through the thousands of photo's I shot.

I met some great people over in the spectator area and (you know who you are) thanks to the new and old friends and great companion ship they provided through the week.

We had a lot of spectators show up at the last minute as the Wendover Air show wrapped up, and they were really WOW'ed by that record run of the Ack Attack motor cycle. I was doing a little public relations trying to keep them up to speed with what was going on (many had never been to this sort of event and it was like herding cats to get them to stay in one place and wait for the drama to play out). You should have heard the cheer that went up from our little group when the speeds were announced!

Congratulations to all the new records and the valiant attempts that did not bear fruit this time!

Larry (pleasantly exhausted)