Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367088 times)

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #1035 on: September 25, 2010, 08:52:36 PM »
whizz...if you were in "their" position...you might not see it as you do now..:)

I'm sure that's very true, and I'm sure I'll never find out for sure.  :wink:
Sure is fun to dream about though.  :cheers:
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1036 on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
"Am I right folks?"    RIGHT ON!

Ed

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #1037 on: September 25, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
"Am I right folks?"    RIGHT ON!

Ed

Yeah, what he said!!!

I was supposed to get my shop cleaned today so I can get started on next year's build. It rained and I couldn't move everything outside to clean, so I had to sit here and hit refresh all day instead.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #1038 on: September 25, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
May I add my Thank You to all involved in a great week at the Cook Shootout! Now maybe some of us can get some work done to pay for our trips to Bonneville and making on our own milestones.
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline racergeo

« Reply #1039 on: September 25, 2010, 09:07:10 PM »
   The thing that really stands out to me is the level of success that each team had. NO one went home a failure all succeeded at the highest level. The other thing is the variety of streamliner designs and power plants. This ain't your mothers cooky cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA.

Offline mr48chev

• New folks
« Reply #1040 on: September 25, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »
Wow, that was fun, getting to follow the runs as they happen while sitting way too far away.  Thanks for the updates and mile by mile speeds as they happen.  Not as good as sitting there listening to it live but a lot better than waiting for the magazine coverage two months from now.
The bad part is that I'm sitting here with about 60 use it or loose it annual leave hours that I could have used to go there.

Thanks once again.

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #1041 on: September 25, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Way to COOL  Congrats to everyone  What a meet.  I sure wish I could have been there.

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #1042 on: September 25, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
bitchen job, rocky and crew!

congratulations!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #1043 on: September 25, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
If memory serves I remember the BUB crew thrashing until almost the last second, on the last day,  and finally getting this record! The Ack crew did the same this year and I am in awe of thier achievement!
Congrats to Rocky, Mike and the entire crew.... you all earned this one!
Bob

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #1044 on: September 25, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
I was at the Airport returning home when I read af the record runs. Called Amir & let him know and we'd like to extend the heartiest congratulations from the Spectre crew to Mike Akatiff, Rocky Robinson and the entire Ack crew. What an accomplishment! We watched the difficulties you endured and never waivered from your mission. 394 Exit, I still have chills when I say it aloud. Kudos! :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:22:13 PM by Rcktscientist »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1045 on: September 25, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
Wow---what a meet and to think  I chose to go to my 50th HS reuinion :-(

WAY to go after it ALL of you!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #1046 on: September 25, 2010, 10:31:01 PM »
One of the highlights of this year!  Suspense, Failure, Perseverance, Success.  All a motor sports fan could ask for and more. Jon this is why I send money.  You and Ray have done a fantastic job this year.  Without you we would have to wait for whatever magazine decided to cover the meet, if at all.  Thank You again. 

To those participating and setting records.  You have set the bar high!  The records give those of us who participate in the sport a goal to shoot for.  We congratulate you for your accomplishments.  There is nothing more satisfying and humbling the recognition and respect from your peers. I hope you take some time and enjoy the feeling.  Then get back to work and set the bar higher next year.  As my dad would say - You have done well! 
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1047 on: September 25, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »
Here are a few shots of the lawnmower and the pit/truck/transporter.

Did I already post this pic of Bobby and his ride?

So - to the Ack Attack bike, team, and story:  The team members in the pit waiting for Rocky to come rolling in from the second run of the day.  Note the appearance of suspense and concern and plain ol' worry that he didn't quite make the numbers:

So -- here's the bike after Rocky's down run -- which was really the second run of his day.  The bike came rolling in with engines idling, and a faint aroma of smoke.  Bodywork was quickly removed (you'd be pleased if you saw how quickly and efficiently the firefighters can undo Dzus buttons without scratching the paint), and once it was off -- ah, good -- just the header's heat tape wrap was smoking.

Firemen bent over the bike in the foreground, Rocky and crew member in the back:

So if the bike wouldn't shift beyond fourth (well, one engine would, the other wouldn't -- well, what to do?  While Rocky was in the pit he was brainstorming.  Mike Akatiff went to the lawnmower pit (about 5 miles down course) to join in the celebration (see photos, above) and while he was gone Rocky got the idea of re-gearing so fourth would maybe do it.  He called Mike, he and Mike talked to the gear guy and decided that such-and-such sprockets would be right for 385 or so in fourth, and they decided that what the heck, there wasn't much to lose if it didn't work -- and everything to gain.  So they dug around in the parts boxes -- witness this stack of rear sprockets:

Did the "hail Mary" play work?  Look at the smiles on Tricia and Rocky and you tell me if it worked:

Here are a few others taken at the celebration.  Ken Puccio, crew chief (in the black hat that I've never seen him without) looks at the bike after it's all over for the day:

Mike Cook and Mike Akatiff thanking each other:

Other photos.  You pick out who's who, hey?

Introducing Rocky Robinson, the fastest motorcycle rider in the world:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:36:03 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1048 on: September 25, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »
SSS, Nancy, & Ray, thanks for hanging out an extra day.  You all certainly made our day. 

Just uncorked a bottle of plonk (caramel and vanilla tones with a velvety texture) in honor of all the big speeds Mr. Cook and company made possible.

Plonk, huh?  I bought a steak as a treat for myself on the way home.  I broiled it and washed it down with a bottle of IBC cream soda.  Sounds like it might have a bit in common.

It really was a day of emotional highs and lows and highs. 

It's good to be home...even if I have a big car show scheduled for tomorrow and a race this coming weekend:
http://www.world-challenge.com/

I'm gonna try to get some of the "Quick Pix" from BUB posted tonite before my face hits the keyboard.

G'nite...I think

Offline sabat

« Reply #1049 on: September 25, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »
Huge congratulations to the Ack Attack team, bravo!

Thanks for great coverage SSS, RTR, Landracing.com kicks ass.

I've been following this thread all week, what a treat to catch up on the last 10 pages, perfect.

Go Top 1 oil, Go Loctite, Thanks Mike Cook  :cheers: