Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367123 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Top Speed Shootout 2010
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »
Well, the Shootout doesn't really start 'til tomorrow -- and then it's only meetings and plans and stuff, with the runs beginning Monday.  But - I thought I oughta get a thread started here to "bookmark" the spot on the Forum.

Nancy and I are sitting in impound as Andy Sill's bike gets finished - and as we're waiting for Skip Hedrich to make the last run of this meet.  Mike Cook and his crew have been here for a few days (at least!) getting started with the dragging, setting up the pit, and so on.  So -- who's going to be here to race?  Well, I dunno for sure, save that Ron Main said that his car would, for sure.  I just saw Lynn Goodfellow's Mormon Missile transporter moving from the WoS pits -- maybe towards home, maybe towards the Shootout pit.  I'll find out later.

So, ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys -- stay tuned for the Cook Motorsports Top Speed Shootout for 2010.  It oughta be another super-duper show.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
Ack Attack will add excitement....I guarantee all of you.

Rock and Mike don't hold back.

That dude is loaded for bare.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »
Slim how many people were on line last year for the shootout? I know it was a lot so lets see if we can top it this year.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
The bottom of the forum's home page has some stats (used to have more but SSS simplified it).

From those stats:

"Most Online Ever: 192 (September 24, 2009, 03:05:02 PM)"   :cheers:

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
I plan to be there Monday ayem with cameras blazing.  I should be able to provide better photo coverage than I did at WoS, since I won't be racing and should be able to focus my attention on the teams in the competition.

I've run into a fella here in the Salt Lake City area who's expressed an interest in coming to the salt and maybe do some video stuff.  Today he was working with http://speedcasttv.com/ shooting the NASA snoozers...I mean nationals.  Sorry...I know the racers were having fun and the organizers did a great job, but there was a lotta follow-the-leader stuff.  I worked on photo technique with differing camera settings, etc. 

Anyway, does anyone know if there would be a problem if a freelance videographer showed up? 

Back to the photo edits.

Offline ack

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:37:49 AM »
I plan to be there Monday ayem with cameras blazing.  I should be able to provide better photo coverage than I did at WoS, since I won't be racing and should be able to focus my attention on the teams in the competition.

I've run into a fella here in the Salt Lake City area who's expressed an interest in coming to the salt and maybe do some video stuff.  Today he was working with http://speedcasttv.com/ shooting the NASA snoozers...I mean nationals.  Sorry...I know the racers were having fun and the organizers did a great job, but there was a lotta follow-the-leader stuff.  I worked on photo technique with differing camera settings, etc. 

Anyway, does anyone know if there would be a problem if a freelance videographer showed up? 

Back to the photo edits.

Hi Ray:
Brian Leckey is producing a program for Discovery International which will be broadcast worldwide.  They have paid a substantial sum to Mike for exclusive rights for video broadcast of the event.  Brian doesn’t have a problem with the individual teams having their own video people as long as the video is not for commercial broadcast.  I can put the video person in Salt Lake in touch with Brian if you PM me and maybe they can work something out.

Here is a link to some dyno video for the documentary   http://vimeo.com/14415126

Loctite is the official sponsor this year.

Top Oil will be providing food and drinks for the entrants again this year.  I will see you at the salt soon.

The entries as it stands now on the car side:

Ron Main/George Poteet           Speed Demon

Mike/Terry Nish                       Royal Purple

Charles Nearburg                     Spirit of Rett

Amir Rosenbaum                     Speed by Spectre

Lynn Goodfellow                     Mormon Missile    Possibly  ??????

Bikes:

Top 1 Ack Attack                             Streamliner

Scott Horner/Jamie Williams            Open Wheel  Hayabusa    MPS/F 1650

Willie Hodgson                               Open Wheel      BMW 1000RR

Richard Hatfield                              Open Wheel Lightning electric bike  Possibly ??????

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:44 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  I really appreciate the feedback.  I can answer one of your "possiblys".  Lynn and the Mormon Missile won't be there.  Their plan is to come back for WF.  He made 2 runs at WoS and on the 2nd, broke a driveshaft.

I look forward to seeing you (and everyone else) Monday.

Offline TINY

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »
The way I understand Loctite is the title sponser of Cooks landspeed shootout this year & not only get updates here on Landracig Loctite will have updates on Facebook.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
Nancy has linked the Loctitie Facebook site with her page, and later I'll have her put something on this thread asking all to follow to Facebook to "like" or "suck up" or whatever the Facebook word is.  The extra cross-exposure will help both Mike Cook's efforts - and landracing.com, too.

We're on the way to SLC for a few hours -- will be back to the salt for the 5PM meeting at the Cook compound.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »
I think this is their link on Facebook.

Tom G.

http://www.facebook.com/Loctite
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline TINY

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
On facebook under search put in Loctite & you will get it.

landracing

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
Heck ill ""Like" the page for the updates....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Gee, I suppose that you might get updates there, but since lots of folks don't have anything to do with Facebook -- don't abandon this Forum for what's going on at the Shootout.  I'll try to find out which of the owners of Facebook are out on the salt when we're at the driver meeting a half hour from now.  Or maybe some of the owners of Loctite will be there.  I'll letcha know.

So, in the meantime, here are a few shots of the new Top Speed Shootout trophy that Mike Cook has had created. 

We're at about mile marker 20 -- I'll be back in a little while with information from the meeting.  Don't expect too much -- most, if not all, or the participants have been on the salt before.

Cook reports that the runs are hoped to start tomorrow morning by 7.15 Utah time.  Salt opens at 6, the first racer will leave the south end for the north at about 7, and the first run soon thereafter.  First run will be north to south. 

Later --
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:48:30 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TINY

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
Deffinately don't abandon this web site its the greatest but people can chegk em both and support Loctite.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
Yes - by all means hang onto the Loctite Facebook page -- so that Loctite Corporate will see lots of support from the racers.  They're giving some financial support to Cook -- and more folks looking and talking about Loctitie will help keep the Shootout going.

So -- The driver's meeting is over.  I took some photos, and I'll see if they're any good (pretty bright late afternoon sunshine out here) and post 'em in a while -- but for now, here's the basic stuff. 

The salt will open at 6, but earlier by request, with first runs about 7.15-7.30.  Tomorrow will be the beginning, with the Nish car running first.  They're going after the Summers Brothers 409 record.  The second car to run tomorrow will be Poteet and Main chasing the Markley 358 record.  After those first vehicles -- it's more of an open choice of who's next.

Tuesday morning will start with Charles Nearburg and the Spirit of Rett chasing the Summers Brothers 409, followed by the Ack Attack.

Amir Rosenbaum and the Spectre Engineering car is due to arrive out here later tonight - so no idea of when they'll be ready to run.  And as for other motorcycles -- no information yet on who's coming and when they'll run.

Okay - back to the motel to try to edit and upload some photos.  And don't forget that Ray'll be here in the mnorning to start doing his photography, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com