Author Topic: tires and age: how old can a new tire be, and still be legal ?  (Read 11691 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: tires and age: how old can a new tire be, and still be legal ?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
How many friends have you got on the tech line?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
I've never had the opportunity to discover how strict is the tire age rule -- but I know that when I'm teching bikes I not only check the date code -- but highlight it with a silver Sharpie to make it easy for everyone else to find it again - since all of the inspectors look (or are supposed to do so) for it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »
Stan's post (#2) is spot on.  Try to find yourself some similarly sized tires to push the thing around the shop with.  Especially with a lakester, where the tires are completely exposed.

I don't know about you, but I'm constantly dropping things, spraying paint, using solvents, and I'd much rather mess up an old, worn 145 SR 15 Volkswagen Bug takeoff than a race tire. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 03:03:27 AM »
Just as another point of input, we run tires that are way older than me but probably not as old as Rich Fox and they get through tech just fine because they're in good condition.   :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
Now if I could just get through inspection.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »
'32, this is something that I've wondered about too. I'm doing an Indian bike http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7976.0.html and got hold of the basic motorcycle rules. I guess they're different than for cars, but seem extremely strict, stating that tyres (English spelling, sorry) must be no older than 10 years and must also be speed rated to correspond with the speed of the record you're going for. The tyres on my bike are 9 years old, from a top quality manufacturer, and look like new, with zero defects and no tread wear, but by the time I get to Bonneville they'll be 11 years old. The rules I have say the date markings WILL be checked. I can't afford 2 new tyres. How strict is the tyre rule?

The bike rule is enforced... when the rule was 5 years, they pre-warned me that that was the last year I would be allowed to run on those tires.   Then they changed to 10.  I would plan on having everything within the rules since you are traveling a long way to race.  Remember to comply to the rules for the record, not the speed you intend to run....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
To help protect my cars race tires, during the off season I jack the car up on stands to take the weight off the tires and let a little of the air out till next race season starts!!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine