Author Topic: How much steering lock is "enough"  (Read 11657 times)

Offline gidge348

How much steering lock is "enough"
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:47:12 AM »
I have been reading though these illustrious pages for a while and have seen a lot of different takes on this question.

“How many degrees of wheel movement is enough”

I have seen a lot of mentions of 3 degrees each way, 5 degrees each way etc, these seem quite small? Previous racing was on speedway where 90 degrees is not enough sometimes :-P

I would be interested in opinions for a 210 inch wheel base streamliner.

Obviously the more the better, particularly when things get ugly, but more lock needs more room and things a pretty tight at the moment.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:50:39 AM by gidge348 »

Offline willieworld

Re: How much steering lock is "enough"
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »
the rule is 15 degrees left and 15 degrees right maximum---you will need all of that to get around the pits --next month at el mirage i will measure how many degrees it actually takes to make a run and to get off of the track and post it on this thread  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Online Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »
It's a car, willie.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:36:39 PM »
my bike is a sidecar same principles apply as a car except the 15 degree rule                willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »
Turn steering until it hits the stops, then apply full throttle.  This will work for both bikes and cars.  You will be surprised and pleased how little space it takes to make a turn, especially if you are on a slick surface.  Nearby spectators will also be impressed.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline hitz

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »
Gidge,

My lakester turns 7 deg. in and 7 deg. out. It has 188" wheel base and 1.5" ground clearance and I tow it around on the salt with a dolly that has wagon type steering. This setup raises the front wheels up about 7 inch's, turns tight and helps to get it on the trailer with out dragging.

harvey

Offline gidge348

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:01:25 AM »
Gidge,

My lakester turns 7 deg. in and 7 deg. out. It has 188" wheel base and 1.5" ground clearance and I tow it around on the salt with a dolly that has wagon type steering. This setup raises the front wheels up about 7 inch's, turns tight and helps to get it on the trailer with out dragging.

harvey

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for that, have you ever come close to full lock when you are on a run?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
My experience has been "WHEN" :-o  I needed that much  it didnt respond to the earlier little ones  :-D Yes I have a "SPIN PIN"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:56:19 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gidge348

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »
Thanks for that Harvey, I thought that may be the case.

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't run out of steering before I ran out of .....options, track and ability :-D :-D :-D

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
the rule is 15 degrees left and 15 degrees right maximum---you will need all of that to get around the pits --next month at el mirage i will measure how many degrees it actually takes to make a run and to get off of the track and post it on this thread  willie buchta

OK, I admit I am slow at times. I cannot find any mention of this in the '10 rulebook, so, either I am missing a whole section or it is no longer specified?
I am laying out the steering and have worked up ackerman to give 14.7° on outside wheel and 15.9° on the inside.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks, John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
Willie's response was referring to motorcycles. You can set up your steering to your preference. You will need to clear the course and want to move the car in the pits and shop.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline John Burk

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
At 200 mph , using the formula for centrifugal force , the most the front wheels can turn without sliding is about 1/10 deg . 6 deg or whatever is for in the pits .

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
At 200 mph , using the formula for centrifugal force , the most the front wheels can turn without sliding is about 1/10 deg . 6 deg or whatever is for in the pits .

How do race cars go around corners or make rapid lane changes if that was the case, and how much slip angle of tire-vertical load-coefficient of friction of tire are in formula?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:21:10 PM by jl222 »

Offline John Burk

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
Jl , at Bonneville the radius of a 200 mph .6 G turn is about 4500 ft . Daytona turn radius is about 1200 ft . The difference is banked turns and more traction .

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
Jl , at Bonneville the radius of a 200 mph .6 G turn is about 4500 ft . Daytona turn radius is about 1200 ft . The difference is banked turns and more traction .

John are you talking about centrifugal force in cornering?