Author Topic: What class would a bike with this engine run in?  (Read 15082 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: What class would a bike with this engine run in?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
The supercharger classes are fast ... ECTA - Dean Sabatinelli has the record at 225 something ... it will be an uphill struggle for sure ...

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »
... it will be an uphill struggle for sure ...

If it was easy everyone would be land speed racing.

P.S.  Stan,  I didn't build mine for pretty.

Briz,  I have to ask.  Whats it going for?   You should contact David Perry at Antig and see if he has any parts on the shelf for such a beauty.  My Norton has an ancient long rod Weslake and he came up with a new rod for it a few years back.  If you don't want it I have a wideline in the garage just waiting!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:00:44 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 05:59:43 AM »
Seems there might be a battle to get this lump now, theres another guy who has promised to send the seller a downpayment and he wants to hang on to see if this comes thru.
Whereas I'm sitting here with cash and could be there tomorrow to pick it up. :roll:
He's gonna give the guy until Monday.
Had a look for the Antig site, but it's disappeared. Dont know if they're still in business. I'll make further enquiries if & when the engine is mine.
If I dont get it, I'll be looking for a pushrod one.

Offline Briz

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »
Well, I got it! seems the old boy who sold it liked the sound of ready cash better than a downpayment. And who could blame him!
So; I'm pretty chuffed (thats Brit for 'stoked'!) Had a quick look over it this evening - its a 50 degree V, so HD ignitions will need a bit of alteration. There are provisions for 2 seperate ignitions on the end of each lower cam drive sprocket. The holes into which the ignitions fit are big enough for HD stuff. I might take an alternator drive off the front one.
The engine is about an inch shorter than an Evo (so probably similar to a shovel).
Reckon I'll be starting a build diary soon. :-D

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »
Good deal ... you have it ... now the fun begins .... Joe

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »
Terrific!!!   Looking forward to the build diary.  If you (and I assume you will be) are going to strip it it would be sweet to see some photos of the innards.  BTW They look fantastic in a wideline.  Just in case you want a quick build :-)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »
A frame setup where you could switch back and forth between a pushrod and OHC motor might be handy in the future.  That looks like a great project.

Offline Briz

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 05:41:22 AM »
I understand the appeal & traditional aspect of using a featherbed, but since my main business is custom frame building, I think I can bring more to the party than a featherbed would offer.
An FB isn't exactly optimal for LSR stuff; its height, shortness and steep rake are much better suited to road-racing.
The chassis I'm thinking about would be more based on HD FXR architecture.
On the way home yesterday, I also picked up an early FXR tranny case - those familiar will know early ones had a removeable front mounting plate, which once discarded leaves a 4-bolt flange which will make mating to the Weslake rear flange a simple operation. A quick measurement indicates that FXR short primary centre-to-centre measurements can be used.
Serendipitously, Zodiac (dutch based HD parts distributors) currently have kicker only FXR Primo 3" beltdrives (with clutch) on offer at knockdown prices. So I'm grabbing one of those.
Its probably sensible to build it so that if I do grenade the Weslake irrepairably, a HD lump can be fitted without too much hassle.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 08:01:09 AM »
I like your plan ... build the best frame possible for land speed racing ... you will have no compromises ... I was able to find a chrome moly drag frame that was untouched and built in the 70-s ... while it is a good chassis for lsr, I will eventually lengthen the rear to get the CG further forward ... Looking forward to the build diary ...

Joe

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
Some thoughts based on my experiences...

The first frame, if I built one, would be a simple no frills rigid.  The engine, trans, primary assembly would be plate mounted a'la featherbed.  The plates would be drilled so I could move the engine assy an inch fore or aft of where I thought it should be.  The engine bay would have enough room to allow me to do this.  The slots in the frame for the rear axle would be 6 inches long.

I would run this creature for awhile with different wheelbase and engine placement settings while making adjustments on the salt.  Sooner or later I would find the geometries that I liked best for different track conditions.  Then I would toss the starter frame and I would build my keeper frame. 

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
I understand the appeal & traditional aspect of using a featherbed, but since my main business is custom frame building, I think I can bring more to the party than a featherbed would offer.
An FB isn't exactly optimal for LSR stuff; its height, shortness and steep rake are much better suited to road-racing.

True a featherbed may not the optimal frame for LSR but dang!!  J.A.P. or Weslake or Godden Vees look absolutely fantastic in them!  I have a 500 Welake single in my featherbed and it currently holds its class record at El Mirage.  They may not be the optimal frame for LSR but they are a good substitute.  Good luck with whatever design you come up with.  Looking forward to the build and really looking forward to seeing it on the salt.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:32:42 PM by Nortonist 592 »