Author Topic: World of Speed 2010 reports  (Read 83062 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: World of Speed 2010 reports
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
Dang -- I'll try again.  No signal when I sent a post just now.

First of all, Rex's Datsun runs in XF/BFCC.  He says it's his way of "burning expensive fuel to break really expensive parts".  If you can't see in the photos -- I'll get better ones tomorrow.  Take a look at the blower -- good size, yup.

Let's see -- which bike is Jeff Bailey's?  I can find it and maybe get more photos.

About the yellow chopper -- last year the team was here and the bike ran a 124.  There's a limiter in the electronics that stops the fun at 5,500 rpm -- about 124.  Said limiter is gone this year -- they're hoping to get into the 130 Club.  Nice ink on most of the team, too.  And they've got a little ankle-biter-size kid that must be on about 50% -- geez, to have the energy he's got.

Finally - Nancy's bike is teched and fueled and we're looking forward to her making a run tomorrow.  Just one oughta be enough -- someplace north of 205 is all we want.  210 would be nice -- se she has a few in the bank.  But one run, then to impound.  Yeah, like that's all it takes.

See you later -- we're going to a volunteer worker party now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
Jeffs bike is the beautiful blue Buell under the tech canopy in the last pic.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
Google gene burkland and scroll down to Ugo 411 story on the Burklands, Gene got in the 200 club with a 294 record.

Thanks, Glen!  :cheers:

http://www.ugofadini.com/burklandstory3.html

Sum only has the streamliner on his site.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
Mike,your welcome. I find tons of info on google. Lots of good reading there.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 08:24:41 PM »
Ah, THAT Buell.  I look forward to seeing it run.  Nicely put together, for sure.  I'll see if I can get some other pictures. 

Nice guys, too -- one of the other inspectors noticed the front sprocket wasn't covered (although it was pretty well out of harm's way).  The team went to the pit and took a cover off another bike and put it on the Buell within a few minutes - without being told they HAD to do it.  Sure is nice when racers work to make things as safe as they can.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »
Waiting for that party -- so ---

The Vesco 444 'liner is here, and so is Skip Higginbotham's long-skinny streamliner.  Unh, Mark DeLuca and his girlfriend Laura (did I get that right, Mark?) are here -- with Mark hoping for a 250 on the Guppy Forstall all-motor bike.  Stout goal, hey?

I saw the 1411 A.S.S. streamliner, didn't I, and the 667 Firecracker of Dan and Kris Wright.  You probably noticed Mayf's Sunbean in one of the photos, and Steve Struck is here with the Jack Rogers Realty 757 Camaro.  The 743 Studebaker (used to be the Guam Bomb) went through the line, and there's the 59 Volk Family roadster and Joe Ledford's #55 roadster -- with a "B" motor this time.  Un, let's see -- Roy Creel and the reliable #53 car, and Sam Dakin's turbo Harley slick-looking bike.

That's my walk down memory lane for now.  Going to the Community Center for that picnic.  I'll get you some results tomorrow.  And more photos, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mr411Fan

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
294 record was with young Tom driving, Iron Chrysler for power.  I believe Gene used the Stude to get into the 200 club.  The Datsun design is good for well over 300mph just needs more hp.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:10 PM »
Have you seen Ray (Therat)?  He might be making his rookie run in a white pickup with a camper.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:46 AM »
I can confirm that this is the plan.  We got the truck back together and running about 10 pm.  Then I went home, showered, backed and split for that white dyno thing.  I have my brain bucket and my SFI firesuit (hopelessly out-dated, but otta work for 130.)

Here are some photos that I grabbed as we were thrashing; My witness protection officer said it'd be ok with the shades on along with the with the Valvoline mechanic's cap....at least that's what I think it is.

The next photo is of the K&N snorkel that was delivered via UBT (Ugly Brown Truck) and, when compared with the hassle with the thermostat, seems to be working fine. 

Finally we picked up a coupla sponsors for the Fox Paws racing team.  The nut/bolt/fasteners place is a real lifesaver.  They stay open an hour or 90 minutes longer than any other butts and nolts supply house I'm familiar with.
http://www.nutboltanchor.com/Default.asp

I'm off for bed...hell, I gotta get up in a few hours.

G'nite,

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:02 AM »
Jon, thanks for filling in for me while Jim and I were thrashing.  We probably have a lot more to do, but at least I'm in Wendover. C ya in the ayem.

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 06:23:47 AM »
Glad to see the # 774 is there ... and the first pic !    I'll be waiting to hear / read any info on them.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
isnt the 774 roadster 4 wheel drive? so what time only right?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
We're racing!  First few runs -- the 1963 Avanti, followed by the Salt Cat Jag/Buick -- who qualified with a 178 on a 130-something record.  Jon Minnono just ran his giant S&S 1161 bike -- but turned out at about the 2 mile.

We're in line for the long line --  Nancy's all suited up and ready to race.

I'm going to shut this off for a few minutes -- people walking up to talk left and right.  I'll be back . . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
The MacKichan & Schultz 136 'liner is a few vehicles in front of us, and right behind him is the Cohn-Juciewicz Monza. 

I tell ya what -- I'm going to let this go for a while, like I thought I would last post.

Next car -- #631  Rex Svoboda running on a 305 record.  Hmm -- what happened to the 313 number?  I'm just telling you what the announcers said.  Pulled out at the 1 3/4. 

Next is bike 9392.  The announcer is telling us the first name of the rider/driver -- something new.  Ah, this is Jeff Bailey on the Buell, running a B licensing pass.

4731 DA right now, nil wind, 62F, 34% humidity.

Back to Jeff -- 162" motor -- he's away.  Sounds nice at the 1 1/2, still pulling strong.  169.406 in the quarter,  171.970 mile, shut off at the 3.  Qualifies for the record -- on a license pass, too.

I'm outa here for a while.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »
Glad to hear Minono is back after his fire last year!!