Author Topic: World of Speed 2010 reports  (Read 83063 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: World of Speed 2010 reports
« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
Great coverage by everyone.  Thanks so much.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline t russell

« Reply #256 on: September 18, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »
Thanks for  all up dates/pics
terry

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
Team Vesco did get the  unblown-B- gas streamliner  record at 337.3 MPH, exit speed of 343mph. Looks like they found the problem. Next is the world finals, and maybe a little fuel this time.
 :cheers: :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Wester

« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:07 PM »
For those who love streamliners, Saturday had to be a feature day to remember.  It seemed that every time I turned around there was another streamliner ready to make a pass. Usually Saturday afternoon erodes to stock bodied cars running laps.  Yesterday it was streamliner city.

The MacKichan/Schulz liner has an interesting back story.  They brought the car to World of Speed intending it to be the car's "swan song" before the car is permanently retired on display in the Museum of American Speed at Speedway Motors.  Their fight with bureaucracy has been bitter at times.  Much tougher than getting the streamliner to go fast.  Their aluminum billet front wheels have caused them to be denied entry at several meets.  Their runs at World of Speed and their resulting class record were the perfect capper for the team.  Three record qualifications, two missed back up times and then yesterday's record set on the last run for the car had the team on the road back to Lincoln with huge smiles.  Couldn't have happened to a nicer race team.  Oh yes, and thanks to Barb for tending Kessie while Jessica was with the team on the salt.

Offline Wester

« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Tim Schulz didn't even bring his blue hat to the meet and was sporting a white USFRA event cap with dirt smudges on the brim from working on the car,

Here's a happy John MacKichan:

Offline WildBro

« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
Boy did I have a great time this week on the salt!
Spent some time with Billy Shoemaker and was there while he received entry into the 200mph club.
Also spent the week with the Forstall Team.  Thanks to them for letting me be with them during this historic week.  They really have their act together, those three guys (Larry, Steve, Mark) know how to do it!
A 252 record with all motor blows my mind. I don't know about the rest of you, but it makes me feel slow as hell.

Can't post the pic right now, but had my picture taken with Mark and Jon Minonno(sp?)  Its way cool, the three firsts to 250  :cheers:

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
Bill .... didnt know you were there ... dont be shy and post some photos ... Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2010, 06:50:25 PM »
I might have some shots with Bill and Steve and Mark - will dig through 'em for later.  In the meantime, here's the last sunset on the salt of World of Speed 2010.  It features Nancy, of course.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2010, 07:02:27 PM »
That's a gorgeous shot...even the lens flares are great.  Keep it!  :)

Offline Freud

« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
That is an EXCELLENT foto.

It was enhanced by your magnificent model.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
Since yer online, Doc, here are a few of the results of your suggestion.  The camera would not allow me to shoot at 1 10th, even with 100 ISO.  I had to settle for 1/30th-1/60th, but at 400mm effective focal length, there was more than sufficient panning blur.  It sure made it easy to thin the herd.  Only about 1 out of 12 keepers.  But that's not the only thing I shot.  I got some other stuff...including one that shows the effect the wind was having on my camera.  It was blowing from right to left...made the track greasy as hell for the drivers, but they did a fairly good job of staying on the track.

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »
Just a note, I haven't seen any other posts.

Dr. Mayfield, long time owner of the World's Fastest Sunbeam Wannabee has made a step forward.

the "Wannabee" made a run of 204.9 or so - faster than Seagraves 203.792 making Larry Mayfield's Sunbeam the World's Fastest.

Congratulations Mayf!  We knew it would come someday. . . .
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #267 on: September 20, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »
Hey Ray. Great job of panning! :-D :-D :-D

I sometimes go over to the airport, because it's really close, and practice on the planes landing. When they're in close they're really moving and I often have to adjust the zoom at the same time.

Keep up the good work!

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »
Peter, do you have to follow focus at the same time?

That's Old School.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2010, 01:22:51 AM »
I have the camera on continuous focus, so it looks after that department. Panning and zooming (actually dezooming  :?) all at once is enough for this senior citizen. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete