Author Topic: World of Speed 2010 reports  (Read 83215 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: World of Speed 2010 reports
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »

Noise in engine. Pulled pan and found the rod on top of the crank. We loaded the car tonight.

JonAmo

Jon,

Sorry to hear this. I was pulling for you, SS, and the crew. I hope it is not to bad.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

landracing

« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »
last I heard Vesco's were at about 310 mph after their run last night, I had not heard much today as what is going on with them. But there was alot of activity going on, and they were putting stuff back together.

Shipley was ready to go last night and did make a go, but they had bad exhaust fumes in the car so he shut it off. In this twin engine car the exhaust from both motors goes below the drivers area and out the back. They driver is in the rear of the car. They were working on a fix for it. I don't know If I mentioned this before to give a glimpse of the setup. Both motors are sidways in the car, each motor drives a belt to a transmission input, trans output to a jackshaft, then the jackshaft which then it drives each set of wheels seperatly (front and rear). real neat setup in the car.  They also were working on getting things buttoned up before I left.
JonAmo

landracing

« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »

Noise in engine. Pulled pan and found the rod on top of the crank. We loaded the car tonight.

JonAmo

Jon,

Sorry to hear this. I was pulling for you, SS, and the crew. I hope it is not to bad.

Tom G.

Its real bad, anybody got a compete Buick stage II collecting dust???????? I was hoping for something so complete that I can jack up the valve covers and when installed lower the valve covers on the engine.

JOnAmo
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:09:20 PM by landracing »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
  Jon Amo, I am sitting in Noxon, Montana overlooking the Clark Fork River, but although its like paradise here, I wish I was on the salt.
  I will call you Tuesday with Courtney Hizer's phone number in Rome, Georgia.  Courtney runs the flat black Buick GN with the BIG turbo on a oddball GM big block.  He was involved in the Buick Indy program and Grand National racing and has or had a shitload of parts............................ Bob
Bob Drury

Offline AJR192

« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:49 PM »
The smoke in Shipley's liner was gear oil on the headers. He has installed 4-speeds with pumps to cool the lube this year. They had a leak and it soaked the header wrap.

landracing

« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2010, 10:43:26 PM »
The Mormon Missle got a run in late in the evening. It was a sight to be seen, Lynn Goodfellow got in the car and drove a shake down pass. Lynn hasn't been in the car since the incident several years ago. When he got in the car there was a crowd of clapping and hollering for him. He made a good run.

Vesco Car made a run, did not get the speed but hear he ended up past the eight mile, that was just some info I heard tonight. When I have said Vesco - I mean the vesco car, Dave Spangler has been driving.

JonAmo

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »
Way to go Lynn :cheers: :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

landracing

« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2010, 11:12:13 PM »
That sucks. Do they run really special wheels that nobody has a spare?

Ummm Bonneville vehicles are such a special circumstance. some people run different rim widths, offsets, sizes..... Do you see many monza's out there? It's harder then you think to find parts for a car, even like wheels. We are not a cookie cutter type of racing. Its like bringing a Harley to a Metric Race and asking the same question. Many competitors do not bring spares.  And you are looking at a much smaller meet with less variety of vehicles.

The best story that many Bonneville speedweek racers would remember that have been racing on the salt was with the Late John Beckett and Tom Bryant....

Beckett qualified on Tom's record in a comp coupe class, in the process he blew a tire and destroyed the side of the chevett. Took it to impound anyway, and banged away with hammers and whatever else to get the tire out and rim out from the vehicle. Tom Bryant, who's record was in jeopardy, came over with the tires and wheels off his car and gave them to John to run on the return in morning. John did get the record and Tom was there first with a hand shake. Those two batteled the friendliest battle I have ever seen on the salt.

JonAmo

Offline Freud

« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »
Beckett and Bryant.

That's a case of quality meeting quality.

Bonneville Personified!

I wouldn't expect anything else.

Thanks Amo for the reporting.

Give Therat some nitros.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
Andy Sills, the fellow who's riding the BMW S1000RR and for whom we're crewing, managed to get it into impound this afternoon.  He made three passes earlier, running on the Randall Parker 194.546 P/P 1000 record from a few years ago.  Andy's runs were all close -- 194.0, 193.8, 194.05, but not quite.  Late this afternoon we did a few more things to try to find that last mph -- and he put down a 196.48.  He's in impound and we're hoping the cool morning air will give him enough to back up the run with another good one.  Geez, though -- be at Land's End at 6.45 for the parade to impound by 7, then the parade to the line at 8.  Ah, what the heck -- helping someone else work on a record is almost as much fun as doing it for ourselves.

Here are the qualifiers from today.  The usual format -- number, name, class, fast mile.  I'll post the racers that back up those records tomorrow morning, after the runs are complete.

9392  Jeff Bailey Racing    A/PG 3000   180.535

9997   Salt Cat Racing    XXO/BFCC    189.080

Bike 3379   Greg Waters   A/PS/BG 750     228.770

Bike 3412    Jack LeVie-Scott Guthrie Racing   A/PG 100   53.444

(Don't have the other bike's number)   Jack LeVie-Scott Guthrie Racing   M/PS/PF 50  54.952***

4226   Kamphuis Racing    M/PS/PBG 350  43.615

7272  Carter Family Flyer  A/FMS  271.553

7571   Jack Rogers Racing   A/FALT  248.836

396   Utah Valley University   AA/CBGC  190.255

745   Blast of the Past/Ragsdale    E/CBFALT   215.716*

136    Machikan & Schulz     D/FS    324.127

348   S C H Racing Heads/Dave Sarno   B/PROD   231.447

503   PRO PER Racing      G/BFMR    207.364

Bike 3182   Forstall-Knecum-DeLuca Racing   A/PS/G 2000   249.827**

Bike 1440   Dean Sabatinelli   M/PS/BF 1000   223.784

31   Burkdoll/Hawley Racing    I/MMP   108.826

*Bob Ragsdale was telling me as we got back to the motel, that vibrations in the motor shook the headers bad enough to break 'em up some -- so they pulled them (in impound) and got them welded up in town.  Now they've got the pleasure of getting to impound at 7 and installing the headers in the early light - and being ready to run by 8.  Good luck, Ragsdales.

**Mark qualified in both the first and second miles.  The first mile is the speed you see above.  I don't know which speed he's going to choose tomorrow, though.

***  I don't know which of these two bikes of Jack's did it, but he powered through to the five mile, I hear.  Glen, you would have been having purple stars shooting in front of your eyes if it had happened on your watch -- taking all of about 5 and a half minutes to make the entire run.  I'm told the rider has been asked to turn out by the 3 1/8 or so from now on.

Finally, Ray Buck had to boogie back to SLC late this afternoon -- to shoot photos at another event this weekend.  He sends his greetings -- and remind everyone that he (and all of us) will be here Monday for the beginning of the Shootout.

Speaking of the Shootout, Mike Cook was sitting on the tailgate of our pickup tonight and expounding on the cars that'll be at the Shootout (so far).  Poteet and Main, of course, and the Nish Family is on the trailer waiting to head out here.  You've already read something about Lynn Goodfellow and the Mormon Missile, and I guess the story is that if he gets in two good runs tomorrow -- he'll probably run at the Shootout.  Amir Rosenbaum and the Spectre (nee Kenny Hoover streamliner) is "maybe" -- hasn't checked in in a couple of days.  No word about bikes, other than Mike Akatiff and the Ack Attack will be here, and I hear Scott Horner has probably got something heading out here -- something in the way of sit-on bikes.  We'll see.

The Shootout will begin with meetings on Sunday morning, and runs starting first thing Monday.  It'll run on the International course -- which will be at least 11 miles of good salt.

Jim Burkdoll, president of the USFRA and race director for World of Speed, says the meet will end tomorrow.  Record return runs in the morning, qualifying all day, with final record runs to end by noon -- no, 'til 2PM, but later word has it that maybe the return runs won't start 'til later so everything is done by 4.  Lots of entrants are still here, and the weather and the track are both superb -- so let's run as long as we can ('til the volunteers say "That's Enough!"  We've gotta get going to get all of this stuff picked up so Mike Cook can run."

That's enough for me, too.  It's 20 past ten and we've got to get Andy and Erin (his lady/co-rider) to Land'sEnd early.  I'll see you all tomorrow.  G'night.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »
The Mormon Missle got a run in late in the evening. It was a sight to be seen, Lynn Goodfellow got in the car and drove a shake down pass. Lynn hasn't been in the car since the incident several years ago. When he got in the car there was a crowd of clapping and hollering for him. He made a good run.

Vesco Car made a run, did not get the speed but hear he ended up past the eight mile, that was just some info I heard tonight. When I have said Vesco - I mean the vesco car, Dave Spangler has been driving.

JonAmo

Amen to that about Lynn Goodfellow!!  I was one of those clapping and cheering.

I think we'll see 'em next week at the shootout.

I'm fallin asleep, so please bear with me.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2010, 01:35:42 AM »
Some more before dreamland calls...and it's gettin close.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
Ray ... you done good ... keep at it ...

Joe

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
The first bearing for the Lambky Liner found in SLC wasn't the correct one, but Brian at Lelis Transmissions in SLC kept pursuing, and found a bearing supply in Brigham City with the right one. Many kudos to Brian. Max and Stainless drove out to get it last evening, and the bearing is being installed right now. Crunch time, there is still hope in Max's pit for a good qualifying run and a trip to impound.

Offline tricktom1

« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »
Thanks for all the information and pictures everyone  :cheers:
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/