Author Topic: World of Speed 2010 reports  (Read 83213 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: World of Speed 2010 reports
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
  Does that make you smart, or lucky?   :roll:
I just replaced the rear tires and wheels on my Vega. By the time I had bought new wheels, had new Moon discs attached, paid UPS, powder coated, bought new tires and tubes. Mounted and balanced I was in over a grand. At that rate and with a zero failure rate over 32 years it would be hard to justify spares. Of course high rollers can do what they want.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
I've fallen WAY short of my intents to keep making updates with fotos.  As soon as I can get this Texican into the Burb and back to Wendover, then I'll attach myself to the computer via umbilical cord and post some stuff.  I appreciate everyone's patience as I made my first ever runs on the salt.  I'll treasure the memory of leaving the line and just rowing thru the gears and only hearing the exhaust and the breathing in my helmet.  I've fulfilled a dream today.  Again, thanks for your patience.

Offline Freud

« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
Did you miss any shifts?

What does the data acquisition show?

Has Jim purged the food poisoning?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »
I'm just foolish enuf to be with Rich.  And if I had another set, it'd be for a gear change.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »
  Rich, I am not a high roller, but it costs me about $2500 a trip, and I would be suicidal if it took me two or three days to get a tire.......... and I don't think the SCTA appreciates holding up the race while someone tries to borrow a tire in the pits to get yours or my car off the race course.
  I just don't feel I can afford to go without at least the spare tires.     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »
Ray congrats on your first run on the salt. I guess that makes you a new newby.
Rick  :cheers: :-D :-o
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
Bob, SCTA has a four wheel tow dolly we use to move car with a tire down or a locked up rear end. It's compact and is easy to put under a car to move it. We are looking into a low profile hyd. jack for low vehicles to go with it.we used it at speed week.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline debgeo

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »
Fantastic Ray :-) :-) :-) :-) Even though I really appreciate your photos and updates I hope to do what you did today. Memories like this will be remembered forever. Glad you had and took the opportunity to run the Salt. Absolutely no excuse needed. Ride on and Thanks for what you do for those of us stuck at home :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline k.h.

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »
Oh, Ray.  If you show up with just your racin' stuff, no cameras and no computer, we'll understand.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
Really appreciate the updates you guys. Sure wish I could be there but being self funded like most of us I am in the process of rounding up parts to replace the engine I destroyed at Speedweek. That doesn't leave any spare $ for fun trips to the salt more than once a year. Glen, thanks for the info, your a great friend and resource. I'll be back next year to run again.  8-)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »

Don't worry about us. Drive it like u stole it.

FREUD
[/quote]
You should say like it is from AVIS! :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »
Amend on the Broken-Rebuild Dave.
 :cry: :x :-P to better days on the salt :cheers:
Rick
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline dickj

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
The updates are appreciated more than you could know.  I can remember back when you had to wait for a magazine report to come out in the January issue!  Thanks again.  Sorry I couldn't be there.
Dick J

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
The updates are appreciated more than you could know.  I can remember back when you had to wait for a magazine report to come out in the January issue!  Thanks again.  Sorry I couldn't be there.
Dick J

Dick, do you recognize that firesuit jacket?  I told ya I'd use it.  It just took a little longer than I thought.  Thanks, man.  I really thought about ya when I put it on today.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »
I've been told in no uncertain terms by someone I really respect as a salt flats veteran to get my butt to bed.  But I sed I'd post a few fotos, so I'm gonna do that before I crash...but not as many as I anticipated. 

I'll be back in photographer mode in the ayem tomorrow for record returns.

Here are a few I shot of today's returns.  No commentary...or very little.

The chute line on the 136 streamliner is a stability chute...not a speed reducing device...or so it was stated on the FM radio.