Author Topic: WOS - several pit questions  (Read 4985 times)

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
WOS - several pit questions
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
If I make it out to run the 130 class this year it will just be me coming out. So when I'm heading off down the track or wandering around the pits or in the spectator area down track, is all the gear I leave behind in my pit going to be safe or do I need to take any extra precautions to lock stuff up while I'm away? Things like my street wheels/tires, tool box, floor jack, etc. Also, can I leave my ground cover tarp down overnight or when I leave for the eveninng do I need to pack everything with me? My daily driver is my entry and I'll be driving it out and don't have an enclosed trailer to lock stuff up in. (Unless I rent a small U-Haul trailer in SLC on the way out. Hmmm.)

I don't recall seeing anything mentioned but are bicycles allowed in the pits and down through the spectator area? It would be nice to get some exercise while there and the bike is a good way to cover a lot of ground without having to drive the truck around.

Thx!

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline RichFox

Re: WOS - several pit questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »
Bikes are fine and I have been going to USFRA meets since '79 or so and never lost or heard of anyone losing anything from the pits.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:07 PM »
In my opinion, WOS officials will do most anything necessary to help you have an enjoyable adventure at their meet.

Ask them and it would not surprise me to know that they can help you with your concerns.

Speed Week is Las Vegas. WOS is Reno.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
I would only be concerned of missing beers from your cooler ----if a "buddy" happened to find your cooler unattended--  have been a unknown knowing host  :? and hoist  :lol:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DallasV

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
I think most will agree, your stuff is safer out in the open on the salt than locked up in the back of your truck or car in the hotel parking lot. The racers are very good about watching out for other racers stuff. at a certain time at night everyone is booted off the salt, security patrols the pits and lets nobody on the salt until the morning.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:53 PM »
Be sure anything left on the Salt is secured, not from thieves, but from the night winds that blow across the area. They can be a touch high. It is the pits if your stuff scattered all over.

Offline Wester

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »
Use some lag bolts to hold down your ground cover.  Anything that can blow around should be secured.  There's a reason we have trailers for essential locations.  We used to use shelters with tarps that came down every night.  If you use an E Z Up for shade be sure to take the cover off.  We always turn tables upside down and things like plastic chairs should be bungee'd to something heavier that won't let them blow away.  Security is good with a rover around the pit area.  You won't have to worry about theft but Mother Nature can be a windy old gal.  I'd wrap some plastic around things like floor jacks and tool boxes to keep wind blown salt out.  You may never need the protection but I'd rather be safe.  Remember that you must have a driver's license to be on ANY pit bike or similar transportation in the pits at any time.

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone. Having come out this year as a spectator has better prepared me for next year because I've now had a chance to see the pits and look at exactly how tarps are secured, etc. It also gave me a chance to see what it's like on the salt under the sun and I'm now reconsidered getting my hands on a canopy of some sort - I no longer think it's optional!

Bob
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 02:34:59 AM »
This was my first year at Bonneville.
I left my rental car parked near impound as I was working in motorcycle tech.
Yes i left the keys in it.
It vanished for about half an hour with my passport and some other important stuff in it.
I was just about to call the police and it turned up, parked just about 20 feet from where I parked it.
It appeared that I had parked it a bit too close to someone's VW thing and they felt the need to move it.
I don't have any trouble at Lake Gairdiner in Australia
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm