Author Topic: Two old farts racing for the first time.  (Read 13520 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Two old farts racing for the first time.
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »
Do you think the camper shell helped or hurt?

Wooda been neat to run back to back with and without it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
It hurt.  We picked up 5+ mph when we removed it and the tailgate.  Those itinerant LSR dudes (Marlo, et al) provided us with a great deal of help on that and taking the shell off and then disabling the governor were the two biggest "helps" that we made.  Now...where's that turbocharger???  Maybe NOS?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
Did you run with and without the tailgate?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:09:17 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »
I don't remember.  The "pit crew" was doing the work while I manned the camera for landracing, and all I have photos of them doing is opening the tailgate and the shell's vent windows.  That got us up to the governor (100 mph) which I disabled by yanking the VSS sensor from the transmission.  (Good think it was a 5-speed or it wouldn't have worked.)  After that, I got real busy and I didn't get any photos until Jim ran it without the shell or tailgate.

I think they removed them both at the same time, because of the limited number of 130 Club runs, but I'm not positive.